Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
co___d and locked question >

co___d and locked question

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

co___d and locked question

Old 02-26-2011, 06:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I guess I am the odd man out?
I simply can not see a valid reason for a person to ever carry a pistol with a round in the chamber???
Old 02-27-2011, 06:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I simply can not see a valid reason for a person to ever carry a pistol with a round in the chamber???
It takes too long to chamber a round - in a genuine life or death situation it really does.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:53 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by homers brother
For a long time while I was in the Army, we called them "accidental discharges." However, within months of being in iraq, and with young and old Soldiers now carrying live ammunition around with them, the investigations into "accidental" firearms deaths were found to contain a common component - "negligence".

In fact, I don't remember a single case where a weapon accidentally discharged, every case involved someone's trigger finger being where it wasn't supposed to be.

I don't mean to be harsh, but the most important part of a firearm's function resides between our ears. You're obviously concerned about accidents. My advice to you is NOT to carry until you're more confident in your equipment - to the point that you aren't so concerned about accidents and instead can focus on the threat and making the correct judgement.

I'm not saying you shouldn't own guns. I AM suggesting that you may not be ready YET to carry for defensive purposes.
i can see your point, but i think you are comparing apples and oranges here....that being soliders walking around in an armed situation, and civilians carrying concealed.

As far as accidental discharges, what about the recent deal with the remington bolt actions going off? We arent really talking about a gun just going off, or at least i wasnt. My point is you are walking around with a loaded weapon on your person and the possibility of something unforseen activating it and discharging it. If you read my other posts, you see that i do adovcate carrying a weapon in condition one with a round in the chamber, i was just agreeing with robert that initially this made me feel uneasy with the 1911 until i tried it out for myself.

Actually im quite comfortable with my weapons and carrying them, ive been thru all the ccw training and have been carrying for the better part of 15 years and shooting for 30. Ive never had an accidental discharge, and ive only had to pull my weapon on one occasion. Am i some kind of expert, no. I guess its up to each individual to decide but i submit that being overcautious about a firearm would be better than not.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:58 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by bigbulls
That's not what I thought or meant at all. What I am trying to get across to you guys is that if you carry the gun in a proper holster designed for the gun and keep your finger off the trigger the chances of an accidental discharge are so miniscule it isn't worth worrying about...... regardless of the gun brushing up against objects, sitting on it, jumping around, running a marathon, mountain biking, or what ever your doing.

You're thousands of times more likely to kill yourself driving to work than shooting yourself in the leg because you bumped your firearm in the holster.
ok my mistake, i misunderstood.
Old 02-27-2011, 01:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by scottycoyote
i can see your point, but i think you are comparing apples and oranges here....that being soliders walking around in an armed situation, and civilians carrying concealed.
I'm not sure I'm following what you're saying here. Are you suggesting that a Soldier walking around with a weapon at condition one is somehow different than a civilian walking around with a weapon at condition one? If that's what you're saying, then I beg to differ.

As far as accidental discharges, what about the recent deal with the remington bolt actions going off? We arent really talking about a gun just going off, or at least i wasnt. My point is you are walking around with a loaded weapon on your person and the possibility of something unforseen activating it and discharging it.
"We aren't really talking about a gun just going off", were talking about the "possibility of something unforeseen activating it and discharging it." You lost me. Are you suggesting that a gun doesn't just go off by itself, but something unforeseen could cause it to just go off by itself? What do you mean by "unforeseen"? "I didn't intend to pull the trigger"?

That's just a little bit scary. I've carried M700s for 33 years. None of them have ever discharged without some kind of human intervention. I'm sad that family lost their little boy, but unless Mom was wanting to shoot their horsetrailer (was it?) she was violating a very simple rule: "Never point a firearm at something you don't want to kill"

No, I don't place a lot of stock in the news show's expose'.

...but i submit that being overcautious about a firearm would be better than not.
In the sporting roles most of us carry firearms in, I would agree.

However, having had the intense and haunting occasion to employ small arms at close range in a defensive role, there tend to be only two kinds of people left at the end of the engagement - the quick, and the dead. If you can be overcautious without becoming hesitant, maybe you'll be counted among the former?
Old 02-27-2011, 02:39 PM
Typical Buck

im not trying to get into a peeing contest over the internet, people who do usually end up looking like an idiot. I think where this convo has gone sideways is, im basically talking about modes of carry and the possibility of a gun going off accidentally while carrying...for example, youre carrying sob and youre getting into your car and a seatbelt of something snags ur gun. I dont know how Plaxico Burress shot himself in that nightclub, but clearly something went wrong with his mode of carry.

Thats where my talk over being overcautious was going, just making sure i have a secured weapon on me, etc. Im not talking about being overcautious in the sense of, do i pull my weapon or dont i. If ive determined theres a threat and i cant talk or walk my way out of it....then yes by all means fastest gun wins and theres no time to hesitate.
Old 02-27-2011, 06:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think where this convo has gone sideways is, im basically talking about modes of carry and the possibility of a gun going off accidentally while carrying...
If the only way you feel comfortable carrying is to have your equipment fully safed, then by all means do that. I'm certainly not going to stop you.

If you're looking to a professional athlete who carried an unlicensed firearm illegally into a New York nightclub, while drinking, only to have it slip down his pants leg and go off when he fumbled trying to catch it as a reason for you to be concerned about modes of carry -- then good luck.

I can't spend any more time on this thread. This conversation hasn't gone sideways, we simply aren't going to reach an agreement here. I'm going to keep my finger away from the trigger as I have for over 20 years and not worry about mode of carry. You can worry about mode of carry all you want.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:14 PM
Typical Buck

works for me
Old 02-27-2011, 08:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

oddly when I went to one in the chamber a few days ago I forgot about it, I gave thought when inserting it in the holster, and when removing it or going in for the night I would clear the chamber, my house is big enough if you came in the door I would know but still have time to rack the slide. Besides 90% of robberies and if you knew me you would avoid my room
Old 02-27-2011, 10:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by RobertSubnet
The thread about carrying in condition 1 has gotten me thinking I should get comfortable carrying that way.

I have a Kimber Tactical Ultra with an ambidexterous safety. For now it would be carried in an OWB holster co___ed and locked.

With ambidexterous safeties are there problems with the safety being accidentally disengaged? For example swinging arm motion runs up against the safety and unlocks the safety. Or is that something you need to develop an awareness of...the condition of your slide safety.

Thanks.
I haven't read the rest of the responses to this thread, but I thought I might offer my answer to the original question...

For ambidexterous safeties in concealed carry, I would recommend an extended holster, so the safety is protected on both sides of the pistol. For polymer holsters, you're mostly out of luck, but custom leather holsters can be made to properly guard an ambidexterous safety. A proper saddler could even likely extend your OLD leather holster, if you so choose. Personally, I'd just buy a new holster.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.