Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
carry weapon and thinking out side my own head >

carry weapon and thinking out side my own head

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

carry weapon and thinking out side my own head

Old 02-20-2011, 08:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default carry weapon and thinking out side my own head

When I bought my glock, I told myself, my dad, my gun shop and everyone here this would not be a carry gun, I had no need, want or desire to even think of getting my permit. The day I got my glock 21 I though alittle big for carry, I ant going to so no biggy, a year later, I should get my permit, ohh dont need it no reason to, 6 months later, you know it would be nice to have when I hunt just in case, IE those mean animals in the woods, drunk or high hunters upset I am in a spot near theirs, or you never know someone trying to steal my truck, ohh well no real need for it.

3 months later, someone robs the guy down the street and the next weekend my mom and brother walks in on someone breaking in our house. The next monday the app was off to indy.

I got my permit and have carried for a few days, I see a few issues with the glock and with the thoughts of a new carry gun smaller then the 21 I think I should look outside of glock for a few reason.

Reason one
the glock 21 and all glocks have no safety, so I have had concern with carrying with a round chambered, I have issues not having one in the chamber
second reason the glock 21 is alittle big for a carry gun.

Now the reason for a diff caliber is I can not find 45s any where, so I can see going say 9mm which would allow me more of a selction of ammo to choice from, my local walmart has 12 boxs of win 9mms 100 round boxs, no 45s

Second is two cals one a large 45(the 21) second a smaller 9mm, so choices in how and what I carry

My personal choices for the new gun, but not really for a given carry reason just what I want are

Ruger p89, had one before and want one again
berreta m9, I just want one
S&W 357 good carry gun good round and I want one
glock 9mm, good carry gun diff cal then my 21 and I want one

Some I think would work good for carry but not a most have just cause I want one are

springfield xd, hear good things
ruger sr9, here good things
tauras 92fs (m9 wonnabe) here good things

I am open for other options and going to start handling some at gander and such so feel free to give me your thoughts.

Looking for something with a option to find ammo often, 9mm and 357s seem to be in stock at most wal marts, like having a second carry gun in a dif size and cal then the 21

I would like one with a safety that can be switched off quickly
Old 02-20-2011, 09:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Kimber, Crimsom Carry chambered in 45-ACP. This is a pistol you should consider if you want a 45-ACP for a carry pistol? I would hope the red laser beam would scare someone bad enough that I would not have to pull the trigger.
After you pull the trigger, there would be a ton of legal matters to deal with.

I have pulled a pistol for self defense one time in my life. The person ran away and I never fired a shot. I was not harmed but had I not had a pistol that night???
That was 20+ years ago and I still remember that night very well. The man was about 6 to 8-feet away when I came to full draw and ****ed the hammer on my pistol. I came so close to pulling the trigger, lucky for me and him he turned 180-degrees and ran away.
Old 02-20-2011, 09:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

#1 Forget about the manual safety on the striker fired guns like Glock. They aren't going to fire unless you pull the trigger. Keep the gun loaded and chambered and your finger off the trigger and you'll be just fine.

#2. You're all over the place. You need to calm down and think about what you really want in a carry gun. Or if you even want a carry gun because you don't sound like you do.

How do you dress on a daily basis? What kind of shirt do you typically wear? Do you wear your shirt out or tucked in? Do you wear jeans, slacks or shorts?

How you carry this firearm will be greatly dictated by how you dress on a daily basis?

What size and/or type of firearm you should carry are going to be largely dictated by how you dress AND how you are going to carry on a daily basis.

You mention shoulder holsters a lot on other threads but unless you wear a suit or other type of jacket daily they aren't practical.
Old 02-21-2011, 04:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here again, I'm not trying to be rude but there are not any issues with the Glock design and not having a manual safety. Glocks have 3 mechanical safety's.....a trigger safety, a drop safety and a firing pin safety. As bigbulls stated these things will not fire until you pull the trigger.

This is why I recommend a quality holster when you carry a Glock. Because there is not a manual safety on Glocks, you need a strong built holster that will keep unwanted things from getting inside the trigger guard and possibly pulling the trigger.

There are so many great choices out there for a concealed carry pistol it really boils down to personal preference and how much you can afford to spend.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

How I dress depends on where I am at, here in indiana 90% of the time I have jeans with a belt, t shirt maybe a jacket depending on the weather. Normally my shirts are worn out not tucked in, if I wear shorts normally their the athletic type with no belt, I did order some blue jean shorts for the ability of wearing a belt when I carried that way. In indiana I should be ok, if I can not conceal due to wearing a t shirt only and no jacket or open shirt I can open carry, with a smaller gun I think my shirt would cover the gun with no issue. I doubt the 21 will ever me concealed this way.

My parents rented a house in florida, I am looking at summer here in indiana then back to florida in oct or nov till april may and back here for the summer. I am a college student and can take my fall and spring classes online, the next two summers my classes are on campus only
Down there it will be shorts 90% of the time, Tshirt, no jacket and so on. This is where I see the shoulder holster working, I figure I can wear a button up shirt with it open, not going to make it 100% hidden but I think it will fit the florida law which says no open carry, if I am not mistaken.
I love the glock, and have been looking and planning on a 9mm to match my 45. My thought is get a 9mm compact or sub compact with a shoulder holster, use this setup when I go to say miami, or somewhere I need to hide the gun with thin light clothes on.

When I go fishing, hunting or for a drive into say the everglades wear the glock 21 on the belt covered by my shirt. My understanding is open carry is ok in florida if your going fishing, hunting or any other outdoor activity.

I want to carry, this is why I got my permit, I just want to carry safely and make sure I do not hurt someone with a accidental fire.

I am open to any type of carry holster that will hide the gun and be a good holster, do to my size and a bad shoulder I doubt on in my back will be a good idea, This is why with say the compact or sub compact 9mm I think I could wear the belt holster and hide it with a t shirt or long button up shirt.
Originally Posted by bigbulls
#1 Forget about the manual safety on the striker fired guns like Glock. They aren't going to fire unless you pull the trigger. Keep the gun loaded and chambered and your finger off the trigger and you'll be just fine.

#2. You're all over the place. You need to calm down and think about what you really want in a carry gun. Or if you even want a carry gun because you don't sound like you do.

How do you dress on a daily basis? What kind of shirt do you typically wear? Do you wear your shirt out or tucked in? Do you wear jeans, slacks or shorts?

How you carry this firearm will be greatly dictated by how you dress on a daily basis?

What size and/or type of firearm you should carry are going to be largely dictated by how you dress AND how you are going to carry on a daily basis.

You mention shoulder holsters a lot on other threads but unless you wear a suit or other type of jacket daily they aren't practical.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:26 AM
Banned

Man, I love glock. Just a no nonsense, no frills, combat gun.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:48 AM
Typical Buck

the smaller glocks like 26 27 make pretty good carry guns, a little fat. Once you start carrying every day i think your list will shrink. Lots of people carry larger guns like full size 45's, etc.........but im pretty active, rarely wear a jacket, and i really notice lugging around the extra weight. I look at the specs on guns and around 23 to 25 oz is where a gun is too heavy for me to carry every day and be comfortable. I rotate my carry guns around......i almost always have a keltec 32 in my pocket. When i carry, its either a keltec p11 (9mm), taurus pro145, snubbie 38 or sw340pd in 357. Get a really good holster and a really good belt (i like the instructors belts), these will help alot.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

In Kansas, our laws are fairly similar to yours in Indy, CC by permit, open carry "for free".

Growing up, I carried a Ruger Mark II .22lr pistol on my hip EVERYWHERE... If I didn't have the Mark II, then it was a Ruger Vaquero .44mag or a 1911 in it's place...

These days, I have developed a much more "minimalist" philosophy about carrying. I live/work in town, and travel a LOT for work (7 states), so having a bulky carry weapon is really just a drag.

I HAVE carried, and sometimes occasionally DO carry a 1911 or a Glock 19, but honestly, my Kel-Tec P-3AT gets first billing 90% of the time. Here in KS, our weather only dictates a jacket about 3 months out of the year, so relying on a jacket to conceal my weapon just isn't an option.

My fiancee has a Springfield EMP 1911 9mm, a Ladysmith S&W 60 .357mag, and a Taurus 85 Ultralight .38spcl that she carries occasionally, but even though they have "petite frames", they're still pretty hard to conceal on HER petite frame in tight fitting clothes. Back of the jeans or behind her belt buckle is about the only GOOD place. Her Ruger SP-101 .357mag can usually be found in her purse, but NEVER on her person. That said, I can conceal any of the 3 in a back of the jeans rig, or behind my belt buckle under a T-shirt pretty easily.

Small frame revolvers and "pocket pistols" like the Kel-Tec P-3AT, Ruger LCP, Jenning J-22, Walther PPKS (getting a little big), Taurus 85, S&W 60, etc are my preference for CC. It doesn't matter whether I'm jogging in no shirt and board shorts, or wearing a big winter coat, when it comes to CCW, LESS IS MORE!!!
Old 02-21-2011, 12:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigtim6656
I want to carry, this is why I got my permit, I just want to carry safely and make sure I do not hurt someone with a accidental fire.
Having a good holster AND A GOOD PISTOL/REVOLVER will prevent accidental discharges (AD).

That said, from a safety standpoint, it's not that hard to qualify as a good holster. A SAFE holster will protect the trigger guard, so nothing can snag and accidentally trip the trigger, and it will protect the manual safety (if your gun has one) to prevent the safety from being bumped, rubbed, or snagged out of SAFE position (including rubbing on the holster itself). For a 1911, I also prefer to have a strap to block the hammer fall.

Then, for a SAFE holster to be GOOD for CCW, it should do all of the above, while carrying the weapon tight to the body in a concealed position, yet still have the weapon readily accessible. The old military flap holsters for the 1911 were incredibly safe, but they sucked for concealment and accessibility. Carrying a gun loose in your pocket is accessible and concealed, but it's not very SAFE.

Make a mental check list as you look at different holsters for your guns, if they pass all of the checks for: covers trigger guard, covers safety, securely holds pistol in position, easily concealed, easily accessible, etc etc, then try it on, if not, then move on.

Safety and ease of holster selection is one of the things that makes the Glock great (for those people who want to carry a "full size" CCW). A simple gun bucket that secures the barrel and covers the trigger guard is all that's needed to carry a glock safely. A 1911 on the other hand, typically requires a full length holster to secure the barrel/frame, cover the trigger guard, protect the manual safety, and block the hammer. A MUCH bulkier holster than required of a Glock.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I really don't mean to keep rambling on this thread, but MAN you pack a lot into each of your posts, so I wanted to comment on just one more thing.

Unless you will be outside and wearing your jacket the ENTIRE TIME, shoulder holsters don't work. If you're going somewhere indoors, it's going to be awkward that you keep your jacket on, and if you OPEN your jacket, it can pretty easily be spotted.

The downfall to being spotted, at least in some states, is that it's a citation, and possible suspension of your CCWP. AT BEST, if someone spots your weapon, it's going to make for an awkward atmosphere. I have had my cover blown TWICE (both while carrying a Glock 19 compact 9mm under a coat). Instead of confronting me, the people contacted the police with my description, and then I was later stopped, handcuffed, and questioned. The first time I was taken "downtown" before everything was cleared up. So unless you like wasting time and like having being on the local police "$hit list", or like paying fines, then I'd recommend keeping your weapon appropriately concealed.

I DO have a shoulder rig for my Kel-Tec (MICRO PISTOL!!) that hides the pistol to the side and below my peck muscle and is small enough that, with a little added duct tape, can be used under a T-shirt, but in general, shoulder rigs just sound good in theory.

Under an open jacket, I MUCH prefer a small of the back rig to a shoulder rig.

If you're just hunting or fishing, then I don't really see the reason to conceal at all? If you're on a large/public lake with other people around, then no, being "kind of concealed" isn't going to cut it. The law here in KS is OPEN, or COVERED, anything in between is a fine, even for permited carriers. Either hang it on your hip, or hide it.

But at the end of the day, it's pretty rare that a shoulder rig works. Make a plan that will work even in a T-shirt and jeans and stick with it, even in the cold.

Last edited by Nomercy448; 02-21-2011 at 12:35 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.