Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
carry weapon and thinking out side my own head >

carry weapon and thinking out side my own head

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

carry weapon and thinking out side my own head

Old 02-22-2011, 07:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

No way would I carry with a round in the chamber. I even keep my single six revoler resting on a empty chamber. Why take a chance???
Old 02-22-2011, 07:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Wolf killer
No way would I carry with a round in the chamber. I even keep my single six revoler resting on a empty chamber. Why take a chance???

Why carry at all then? You would probably be safer carrying mace.
Old 02-23-2011, 02:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

I can't find it but read somewhere that you have about 6 seconds to make a decision to draw and shoot in most self defense situations. If that's true there is no time to rack a shell in.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by White-tail-deer
I can't find it but read somewhere that you have about 6 seconds to make a decision to draw and shoot in most self defense situations. If that's true there is no time to rack a shell in.
i just racked my whole clip of 15 through in 5 seconds.
i pulled my side arm, and racked the 9 in the mag and the one in the chamber all in 7 seconds.
I just took my whole gun apart and put it together in 16 seconds.
maybe you just need some practice.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:03 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420
i pulled my side arm, and racked the 9 in the mag and the one in the chamber all in 7 seconds.
while i agree everybody should be familiar with their carry gun (definitely sounds like you are), what if youre in a situation like robert was, got a kid or a dog on one arm and youre trying to pull your weapon. Or lets say an attacker comes out of nowhere and is on you.....there are so many scenarios that could have you reaching for your gun one handed. While i know their are ways to rack your slide one handed, its going to take longer than 6 seconds probably. To me, if youre going to carry a gun, you should be able to pull it out and immediately put it into play. In a carry gun i like either dao revolvers (like the sw340), dao semi autos with a heavy trigger pull (like keltec), or a dao with an external safety (like taurus pro1450). They make an external safety you can add to a glock, if it was going to be my primary carry piece id probably add one of those to it.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

To me, if youre going to carry a gun, you should be able to pull it out and immediately put it into play.
Absolutely!
Old 02-23-2011, 03:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have a few carry weapons. Depends on what I was doing. Normally in the woods I would carry my Steyr M40 or my 1911. Anywhere else I would carry my Bersa Thunder .380, normally inside my pants. This little auto always functioned which is required for a carry gun but I was concerned about the power of the 380 round. Also the fact that I am a lefty and the gun was made without an ambideterous safety forced me to carry with the safety lever in the fire position and hammer at 1/2 c0ck.
But I recently found the solution to all my carry problems. I got a Taurus 605, 357 revolver, 2" bbl and a belt slide holster. Even wearing shorts and a T shirt you can't notice it. I have a permit for concealed carry and prefer to carry that way even though PA is an open carry state. I don't want the unnecessary attention.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420

As a LEO I have been through quite a bit of force on force training. In a real life situation you more than likely will not have time to draw your weapon, chamber a round and find your target before you are attacked.

Not trying to be a smarta$$ but, if you were truly confident in your abilities and your firearm(s) you would carry with a round in the chamber.

Last edited by VAhuntr; 02-23-2011 at 07:41 PM.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

thanks guys, all good info, I am going to do some research into florida's gun law
PM me if you have any questions. I live here in FL and while I am not an attorney I stay very familiar with the CC laws in Florida.

callin bs on a glock, (with a round in the chamber, with no other safety than on the trigger ) not going off on accident. its a repeating occurrence...i have a customer, he was putting his away, a 27, and it went off, bullet hit him in the hand/wrist, went all the way through his arm and out his elbow. This isnt to mention where people get shot in the leg, hip and foot.
If their firearms are in good working order and are not modified this is next to impossible to happen with out pulling the trigger.

I know you said you carry loaded but if a person meets up with someone that is prepared to kill in order to get what they want and they try that rack the slide to chamber a round crap and they will be dead. Seconds and fractions of seconds count when you are fighting for your life.

Carrying a gun unchambered for self defense is like carrying around a brick for self defense. One's just as useless as the other.

Carrying an older 70 series 1911 is not anything like carrying a Glock or other modern striker fired hand gun. Assuming your firearm is in good working order a glock, XD, M&P, etc... is not going to fire unless the trigger is pulled and held to the rear. I understand that a safety is nothing more than a mechanical part that can fail that's why I said "in good working order" and the odds of that actually happening are so minuscule that it isn't a concern I would have.

Even modern 80 series 1911's and Kimbers and S&W's can not be fired with out the trigger pulled to the rear or the grip safety depressed (Kimber & S&W). They incorporate a firing pin block just like Glocks and other striker fired pistols that prevents the firing pin from striking the primer in the event you drop the gun. You must first pull the trigger or depress the grip safety to get them to fire.

For S&W, Ruger, CHarter Arms, Taurus and other DA revolvers go. They all incorporate some type of transfer bar safety. Unless the trigger is held to the rear while the hammer is falling the hammer can not strike the firing pin. Modern revolvers are not like the revolvers of the past where a hammer fall could strike the primer.

I even keep my single six revoler resting on a empty chamber. Why take a chance???
If your single six is a "new model" single six then it works just like Rugers other revolvers do with the transfer bar safety. The trigger must be held to the rear while the hammer is falling in order for the firing pin to be struck by the hammer.

If a person is carrying a modern hand gun then there is no reason that they should not be carrying a firearm unloaded.

Old 02-24-2011, 05:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by VAhuntr
As a LEO I have been through quite a bit of force on force training. In a real life situation you more than likely will not have time to draw your weapon, chamber a round and find your target before you are attacked.

Not trying to be a smarta$$ but, if you were truly confident in your abilities and your firearm(s) you would carry with a round in the chamber.
sall good...maybe ya missed my other post.
"dont get me wrong, i carry my glock fully loaded, but ya have to be xtra special careful, to the tenth power."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.