Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
carry weapon and thinking out side my own head >

carry weapon and thinking out side my own head

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

carry weapon and thinking out side my own head

Old 02-21-2011, 12:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

callin bs on a glock, (with a round in the chamber, with no other safety than on the trigger ) not going off on accident. its a repeating occurrence...i have a customer, he was putting his away, a 27, and it went off, bullet hit him in the hand/wrist, went all the way through his arm and out his elbow. This isnt to mention where people get shot in the leg, hip and foot.
dont get me wrong, i carry my glock fully loaded, but ya have to be xtra special careful, to the tenth power.
Old 02-21-2011, 01:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420
callin bs on a glock, (with a round in the chamber, with no other safety than on the trigger ) not going off on accident. its a repeating occurrence...i have a customer, he was putting his away, a 27, and it went off, bullet hit him in the hand/wrist, went all the way through his arm and out his elbow. This isnt to mention where people get shot in the leg, hip and foot.
dont get me wrong, i carry my glock fully loaded, but ya have to be xtra special careful, to the tenth power.
Are you sure your customer did not pull the trigger or had something on his holster or clothing get inside the trigger guard? You should be careful anytime you are handling a firearm regardless if it is a Glock or not.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:26 PM
Fork Horn

I reccomend a keltec pf9 9mm it's small thin accurate and holds 7+1 rounds of 9mm. Mine is extremely accurate and I carry it most the time mostly in my poket in a poket holster but also iwb holsters work great
Old 02-22-2011, 03:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

You might also look at the Kahr PM40 or PM9.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Another vote for the Kel-Tec P11, it's a small gun easily concealed, and not too expensive. Mine has been reliable at the range.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

when it comes to CCW, LESS IS MORE!!!
Absolutely right!

If you are going to be spending a lot of time in warm weather have a look a the Ruger LCP. Fully loaded the thing is a feather weight.

For another holster suggestion take a look at something called "Thunderwear." YouTube has good demo videos on it. Basically it is a flat "fanny pack" style holster that is worn under the front of your pants. It is not very manly but from what I have seen it seems to score well on: speed of access, concealment, trigger protection and carrying easy-especially in warm weather.

FWIW: I went through this very process. Started off with a full size 1911, then went to a Kimber. Had an incident with an aggresive dog off its leash and me with my 3 year old walking on a public road. Did not have to shoot but after that I went with a Ruger SP101. Double action, no safety. What I learned was if your are going to need your pistol for self-defense you are going to need it in a big hurry and you may not have both hands...kind of hard to rack a slide and carry a kid.

Just some thoughts. Good luck with your decision.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:51 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by RobertSubnet
Absolutely right!

If you are going to be spending a lot of time in warm weather have a look a the Ruger LCP. Fully loaded the thing is a feather weight.

For another holster suggestion take a look at something called "Thunderwear." YouTube has good demo videos on it. Basically it is a flat "fanny pack" style holster that is worn under the front of your pants. It is not very manly but from what I have seen it seems to score well on: speed of access, concealment, trigger protection and carrying easy-especially in warm weather.

FWIW: I went through this very process. Started off with a full size 1911, then went to a Kimber. Had an incident with an aggresive dog off its leash and me with my 3 year old walking on a public road. Did not have to shoot but after that I went with a Ruger SP101. Double action, no safety. What I learned was if your are going to need your pistol for self-defense you are going to need it in a big hurry and you may not have both hands...kind of hard to rack a slide and carry a kid.

Just some thoughts. Good luck with your decision.
well the thing with carrying a 1911, its supposed to be ****ed and locked. I always felt a little uneasy about this but its really how that gun is meant to be carried, and if you think about it, its not any different than a glock, its carried ****ed too just with an unexposed hammer. Although i dont carry a 1911 i have one and i did walk around with it ****ed and locked without one in the chamber for a few days to test it out.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

thanks guys, all good info, I am going to do some research into florida's gun laws
Old 02-22-2011, 10:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

well the thing with carrying a 1911, its supposed to be ****ed and locked. I always felt a little uneasy about this but its really how that gun is meant to be carried, and if you think about it, its not any different than a glock
Scotty you are right. And I too felt uneasy about carrying locked and co...d with a 1911. But like you said the SP101 is pretty much the same thing just without the safety. I guess it comes down to what you are comfortable with.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:59 PM
Typical Buck

Check out the SD40 by S&W. I had a Glock but love the S&W.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.