Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Looking to buy a 25-06, need some suggestions >

Looking to buy a 25-06, need some suggestions

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Looking to buy a 25-06, need some suggestions

Old 02-17-2011, 07:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

I just did some searching and didn't realize the 111 Long Range Hunter came in 25-06. That would be a sweet rifle! It would be my pick above all the others...and I'm not a Savage guy either!!

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/models/
Old 02-17-2011, 10:53 AM
Fork Horn

grab a remington, if you're lookin for accuracy, i prefer the sendero, but they're heavy for packin in ; also the savage with the accu trigger and accu stock has been puttin up some outstanding groups. have a load worked up for both guns if you need
Old 02-17-2011, 10:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I looked at (shot) a bunch of rifles when I bought my .25-06, and ended up with a 700 CDL with a nice walnut stock. A good friend of mine picked a Ruger for his .25-06, and it is one of the most accurate production rifles that I have ever seen. It is hard to go wrong with your choice as long as you try to buy quality (not bargins) and keep the barrel length at least 24".
Old 02-17-2011, 12:52 PM
Typical Buck

From your list I'd choose the Marlin XL7. A tad over $300 and likely will shoot sub-MOA right out of the box regardless of the 22 inch barrel. Not sure how much more accurate a guy needs to be than sub MOA and a shorter barrel is always handy in actual hunting situations. Scope base included.

There really are no negatives on this firearm other than some folks don't like synthetic stocks although this one is pillar bedded, light weight, and can easily be free-floated if you wish, although as stated it'll likely be sub-MOA as it sits new.

If you're not big on the synthetic stock, you can pick up a Boyd's Walnut or laminate for around $90 and still be right around $400 total investment which is astounding for a rifle that shoots as good as the X guns do.
Gun is available in stainless too if that floats your boat.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:33 PM
Fork Horn

Remington 700 - I just bought one
Ruger M77 - I own one and it's a tack hammer
Tikka - I felt they were cheaply made
Winchester 70 - Super nice rifles now
T/C - Ugly but they shoot
Howa - The ones I looked at (Weatherby Vanguard) had gritty triggers
Browning - X-bolts look nice. A-bolt I had didn't group
Savage - Ugly but they shoot
Marlin - No way

I'd like to try a CZ 550 American.
Old 02-18-2011, 04:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jerry d
that's how i'd choose.i'm partcial to the winchester.

jigger and big uncle bring up a good point i didn't realize the winchester has a 22" barrel.
Old 02-20-2011, 01:35 AM
Spike

I have a Ruger and it is as good as anything out there . maybe not as pretty as some and not as ugly as others . Tough to beat as far as a strong action and well built gun. I shoot 100gr. nosler balistic tips and that combo is devistating on whitetails. Good Luck with your choice . and enjoy your 25 .
Old 02-20-2011, 05:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like the new Winchesters.
Old 02-20-2011, 06:01 AM
Fork Horn

winchester or browning
Old 02-20-2011, 06:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Big Uncle
I looked at (shot) a bunch of rifles when I bought my .25-06, and ended up with a 700 CDL with a nice walnut stock. A good friend of mine picked a Ruger for his .25-06, and it is one of the most accurate production rifles that I have ever seen. It is hard to go wrong with your choice as long as you try to buy quality (not bargins) and keep the barrel length at least 24".
I had a older Ruger M77, the one with the tang saftey and adjustable trigger. It was one of the most accurate factory sporters I ever owned. I regret selling that rifle. To day I have two Ruger MKII M77's, one in a 280 Rem, the other in a 223 Rem. The 223 has the factory laminate stock and is stainless, it is a tack driver, the 280 is stainless with a Bell & Carlson Carbalite stock, also a tack driver and my favorite hunting rifle. I would not hesitate at all in buying a new Ruger in a 25-06. Sure there triggers are hard, but it is easily fixed with a after market drop in Timney trigger, or you can take the factory one out and stone it, clean it up, and its as good as any trigger out there. Just my two cents!