Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Having custom rifle built....WSM or regular mag?

Old 02-11-2011, 03:19 PM
Fork Horn

Default Having custom rifle built....WSM or regular mag?

This is kinda' a "part 2" of my previous post called Hill Country Rifles.
Contacted Stiller's about their Predator action. Didn't realize they made a stainless/left hand/Predator for short mags.

Got me thinking...... .300 WSM with a 24" barrel. Slightly lighter and shorter than the .300 Winny.....but is it as good of a caliber.

Ballistics on it are impressive, but I'm thinking I've heard it operates at much higher pressure to get those ballistics.

Also heard that the .300 Winny is better for 200gr. and up bullets just from it's case capacity. Seems like I've read the WSM works well with 165's and 180's, but really lags with anything heavier.

Any input would be helpfull. A shorter, lighter rifle that still had PUNCH would be nice, but not if the caliber isn't going to give me much versitility.

Opinions please
Old 02-11-2011, 03:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

think ya should decide by ballistics...ig bullet weight
some bullet weights arnt in wsm, as i was told.
somethin about 3600 fps with a 200 g bullet was what i remember..i may be wrong...cant get it in wsm, but ya can a mag
Old 02-11-2011, 03:32 PM
Fork Horn

If it helps any, I would probably stay with 180's for most everything.
Ballistic Tips for whitetails, Accubonds for big hogs and bear. Barnes TXS's for elk and up.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
I'd go win mag its a proven accurate round and reguardless of the hype the wsm gets, the WM has the cubic inches to outperform the WSM.
RR
Same here...Win Mag is proven itself many times over and will do everything a WSM does plus a little bit extra...
Old 02-11-2011, 06:09 PM
Fork Horn

i had a rifle built in 6.5 wsm a few years ago, had it re barreled to 300 wsm. i dont have the rifle anymore but i overall wasnt impressed by it. in a long range rifle, heavy bullets are almost a must. that is something a 300 wsm doesnt do well. go for the .300 win mag if thats the class bullet you are going for. also, dont buy into this hype that short mags get the job done in a short barrel. if you try that all you get is alot of muzzleblast and alot of noise. when chambered in a long tube imo they just seem to have a certain refinement to the overall shot sequence.if you do want to get a shorty go for a 6.5 wsm. it can handle the heaviest bullets availible without the need for greatly reduced loads.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
I'd go win mag its a proven accurate round and reguardless of the hype the wsm gets, the WM has the cubic inches to outperform the WSM.
RR
+1, there is no replacement for displacement. In my opinion the short mags are a soon to be passing fad. In my opinion they offer NO!!!! advantages over the standard mags that has been out for years.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:14 PM
Fork Horn

Go with the 300 WSM, it handles a 210 Berger quite well and it is starting to DOMINATE the 1000 yard range in Williamsport, PA. it will send a 210 Berger out the end of the barrel at 2930 very easy, you can drive it harder but that seems to be the sweet spot. You build a 300 WSM with a 30" 11 twist barrel and throat it for 210's you will not be disappointed. The last on I built is DEADLY!! A 10 twist will work too. The first one I did has that and it works pretty good too.

I'm not knocking a 300 Win mag but just about everytime you see the 2 compete against each other the WSM comes out on top.

http://www.pa1000yard.com/results/to...=100&year=2010

At this match 3 of the top 10 were 300WSM's The 300 Morton is a very slightly altered 300WSM

http://southforkrifleclub.homestead....ipsunrelay.htm
Old 02-11-2011, 07:17 PM
Fork Horn

Fritz, I was planning on bringing a WSM to the big shoot you were comming to I don't think the 300 WSM is a passing fad. Accuracy and efficiancy are second to none
Old 02-11-2011, 07:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

+1

What RR said.............

And

"Same here...Win Mag is proven itself many times over.............." Jeepkid

.300 Win Mag - Why NOT ?

FYI:
Most hunters who use the .300 on deer and pronghorn prefer 150 grain bullets, but a 180 grain spitzer shoots almost as flat and destroys less of the eating part. The single best load for elk and moose may just be the 200 grain Nosler Partition or 200 grain Speer bullets pushed to 2984 fps by H1000.

Reload Bench
Old 02-11-2011, 08:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by gunnermhr
Fritz, I was planning on bringing a WSM to the big shoot you were comming to I don't think the 300 WSM is a passing fad. Accuracy and efficiancy are second to none
Bring it, I have a 300 RUM that will make short work of that! IMHO short mags are junk that was brought out to sell rifles in a failing economy were people were not buying guns, they offer no real advantage over any standard mag that is already been out for several decades, its a fad that has been created, and promoted by gun writers that are paid by gun manufactors. Matter of fact, I have a 30-06 I would not hesitate shooting against it, velocity doesnt meen squat as long as you know your trajectory and know how to shoot. Why dont you tell me were the 300 WSM has ANY advatages over a 300 Win Mag. That is pretty much like saying a 7mm-08 will out do a 280, or a 308 will out do a 30-06, or a 40S&W will out do a 10mm. There is no comparison especially when you get to the heavier bullets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.