Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Hill Country Rifles >

Hill Country Rifles

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Hill Country Rifles

Old 02-09-2011, 12:25 PM
Fork Horn

Default Hill Country Rifles

There headquarters are only a few hours from where I live, and after talking to them extensively, I feel pretty confident in their work.

Here's what I've talked about doing.....

I'll take them my left hand Rem. 700 CDL .270 and have them replace the wood stock with a McMillan Remington Sporter with EDGE technology (lighter) add a 24" Hart stainless barrel (also going to change caliber to .280 Rem.) work all their accurizing majic and then Cerekote all the metal for me.

Cost is up to about $2500 for all the work.

What do you folks thing about Hill County's work and their pricing. $2.500 is a chunk, but most other places I've checked were as much if not more.
They guarentee it will shoot 3/4" 3 shot groups (worst case scenario. 1/2" to 2/3" more likely) with factory ammo or they dont ship it out to me.

Opinions?

Last edited by schoolcraft; 02-09-2011 at 12:37 PM.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Just get a new rifle, keep your .270

Why change it to a .280 anyway?

You can get their harvester for $1900.

It's probably a fair price with the hart etc...

Consider the .280AI if you reload...

Last edited by salukipv1; 02-09-2011 at 01:46 PM.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:18 PM
Fork Horn

so next question...
Since this is real $ splurge for me, I want a caliber that will cover deer, hogs, black bear, mulies, all the way up to elk/moose.
Mostly just deer, but the future might hold an elk hunt someday.
I could use my existing .270 Win. to be rebareled to a .280 OR sell my .270 and start with a CDL or SPS in 7mm. Rem. Mag to have the rifle built.
I've considered keeping it a 7 mag or having it barreled to a .300 Win. Mag.
I want one caliber that will cover deer to elk and be one to shoot at longer ranges for fun.

Opinions please
Old 02-09-2011, 06:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Why start with a whole rifle if your gonna junk the stock and barrel anyway? Just buy a Stiller or Borden action and go from there...
Old 02-09-2011, 08:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

Looks like they've already built your rifle, in stock and ready to ship, for under $2000. This one already shoots under 1/2"... .280 Rem. Harvester:

http://www.hillcountryrifles.com/cat...ht-280-rem_155

Harvester Lightweight 280 Rem.

Price: $1,995

This is our Harvester Lightweight rifle based on the Remington 700 XCR II stainless steel rifle with black Trinyte rust-proof coating. The rifle is fully Accurized with aluminum pillar and glass bedded action, into a McMillan Remington Hunter stock in Edge Technology. This stock is similar to the Sako Hunter and has a nice palmswell in the grip. The stock is at standard length of pull with a 1" Pachmayr Decelerator recoil pad. Rifle weight is 6.5 pounds. The factory X-Mark Pro trigger is tuned to a crisp 3.0 pounds. Barrel break-in is done and the rifle shoots great. Three-shot groups measure .490" with Federal Premium 140 grain TSX ammo at 100 yards!
Old 02-09-2011, 09:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just a thought, but I'd probably keep it simpler..
Mebbe sell your stock/bbl/trigger for starters. Put on a trigger yourself; Hart's cost for squaring, barrel, and install is 650 total. Send out for cerakote and bed your own mcmillan. I'd bet you'll be shooting as straight, for less. (I vote 280)
Old 02-10-2011, 11:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jeepkid
Why start with a whole rifle if your gonna junk the stock and barrel anyway? Just buy a Stiller or Borden action and go from there...
I have to agree with the above. Big time.

You may want to price this all out in parts if you have your heart set on it.

First of all, Hart doesn't sell barrels. They only sell and install them. So you can go on their website and see the price right there. Just to let you know it runs about $650.

Then you can go check the price of the McMillan stock on 24hrCampfire which gets a pretty decent discount. I'm guessing it will end up around $500.

So just in parts you're looking at $1150. Is it worth it to you to pay the difference to not have to deal with it? That is your call.

As for cartridge based on your description there are so many that would work, 308, .30-06, 7mm Mag, 300 WM etc... Take your pick.

Tom
Old 02-10-2011, 11:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Also wanted to add that if you're going to ship the rifle to Hart for the barrel they also do everything else too. So you can just have your stock shipped directly to them and they will handle it from there. For a fee of course.

Either way you'll be way under $2,500.

Tom
Old 02-10-2011, 11:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
Last hart I got I ordered a blank, sent it to Kevin Kram for the build.
RR
Hmmm. I stand corrected. I thought I read that. I just checked the website an no such info. Is it Bartlien that does that? Going to check now.

Tom
Old 02-10-2011, 11:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just checked Bartlein. Doesn't appear to be them.

RR,

Do you know of a barrel maker that doesn't sell the blanks? I remember reading this when I was shopping for my build.

Tom

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.