HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Remington 700 question (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/339831-remington-700-question.html)

largeli 02-08-2011 10:27 AM

Remington 700 question

So whats the difference with the SPS, VLS, VLT, VTR, XCR, BDL, so on and so forth?

Also where I live the only "gun" store is Big 5, and so Im looking to purchase my rifle on line...any suggestions as to a reputable on line store? Budsgunshop seems to have what im leaning towards (Remington 700 270) at a decent price of 450 no shipping..

Jim Williams 02-08-2011 10:37 AM

The Remington 270 is an excellent choice. My opioion , for what it's worth, I would use the Remington stainless rifles with synthetic stock. Go to remington.com and you can find out all the suffixes and what they mean. GOOD HUNTING Jim

hoghunter59 02-08-2011 12:32 PM

buds guns is an excellent choice, check out 'cdnn' also give cabela's a look- remingtons web site will decipher all their codes on the rifles

SwampCollie 02-08-2011 01:21 PM

A 700 is a 700. Don't worry much until the number starts changing.

the SPS is the gun that replaced the ADL. This is basically your no frills no BS stock sedan model 700. Blind box magazine... sythetic and matte black standard. everybit a 700 and a good gun.

The BDL is what you think of when you thnk of a wood and blued 700. these guns have hinged floorplate magazines... so you can dump the cartridges to unload. There were some that were BDL DM. The DM denotes a Detachable Magazine... which is flush fit and from the outside there is aestheitcally very little difference.

The newer XCRs are extreme conditions rifles.... they have some weather coating or something like that... nicer stocks.... a bit more weatherproof.

The VLS is Varmint Laminate Stainless.

VSSF is varmint synthetic stainless fluted.

The list goes on and on.... check out the remington website

They are all the same action though...

largeli 02-09-2011 08:40 AM

Hey thanks for taking the time SwamCollie, that clears things up a bit. So they are either cosmetic or small details here or there, but all the same action.

Backwoods7 02-09-2011 12:54 PM

They also have a sps with a hinged floorplate. That's the way I'd go get ya a Sps in 270 and put a good scope on it. I have a wood stock BDL in 270 and that guns a deer killer.

Sheridan 02-09-2011 01:05 PM

I have a Remington 700 SPS w/ a detachable magazine (wish it was stainless) in .243 Win. and it tears up the bullseye at 100 yards.

http://www.remington.com/products/fi...00-sps-dm.aspx

I use it as my dedicated predator gun with HSM bulk ammo Hornady's 75gr. V-max bullets.

nagel_1 02-09-2011 02:13 PM

I have the 700 SPS in .308. Very Very accurate. I also have a .270 in a Savage 110. Another very very accurate rifle. Both shoot flat, and have plenty of wallop to kill any deer sized game. Cant go wrong with a .270. With the .270 I use 130 gr bullets. The 140 and 150 it doesnt like much.

SwampCollie 02-10-2011 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by largeli (Post 3770993)
Hey thanks for taking the time SwamCollie, that clears things up a bit. So they are either cosmetic or small details here or there, but all the same action.

Thats correct. The strength and design of the action is the same throughout the 700 line.

Now what you do need to be aware of is not all of the upgrades are just aesthetic... there is a huge difference between a standard sythetic stock and some of their models that come with fiberglass or aluminum bedded stocks. Additionally, they make a few guns every year with 5R barrels which are from what I understand left over from some of their military precision contracts... I think the 5 R denotes 5 rifling lands.... anyway... these guns usually shoot lights out.

I'm not sure if all of their guns are getting their XMark or x7 or whatever they are calling their upgraded trigger system now or not... not sure if it is worth having anyway as I've never used one of the new triggers.

skb2706 02-10-2011 05:43 AM

Until I read this post I hadn't really thought about it. Seems I have Model 700s that pretty much run the entire spectrum.

Sendero SF (stainless fluted magnum action)
VSSF II (similar to the Sendero but varmint chamberings and more polished action...black flutes on the barrel)
Mtn. Rifle LSS (laminated SA very thin stainless barrel)
SPS (cheaper version without the finished bolt or metal....crappy plastic stock)
ADL (Walmart gun but a shooter...pre dates the SPS by a few years)
BDL (classic and flagship of the Remington bolt line for years)