HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Synthetic or Wood stocks (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/339830-synthetic-wood-stocks.html)

jerry d 02-08-2011 10:11 AM

Synthetic or Wood stocks

Which do you guys prefer and why.

Sheridan 02-08-2011 11:02 AM

For me (IMO !)

A rifle is a tool, just like a good adjustable wrech.

I'm not going to keep it in pristine condition, but in good working order.

Sometimes it gets ugly/tough out there...........I don't want to be concerned about scratching the beautiful wood on my new gun.

I do like wood on a "fancy" shotguns though.

Synthetic & stainless steel as a rule for me.

Cleaning your gun is way overrated !!! LOL

jeepkid 02-08-2011 11:59 AM

Synthetic/carbon fiber for hunting.

Wood to look at.

JOE PA 02-08-2011 12:13 PM

Hmm.

Wood is much nicer to look at, and warmer to the touch. Probably prefer wood just slightly. Easy to mess up a nice wood stock during a hunt.

Synthetic can be much lighter, like the Brown stock I have on my 06. Makes it really nice to carry, and holds it zero year after year in all kinds of weather.

salukipv1 02-08-2011 12:22 PM

synthetic/stainless is my new go to, id make an exception for african big bores, wood for those and nice!

btw nice synthetics, they do exist.

average wood used on most rifles nowadays to me isn't any nicer than a quality synthetic stock.

I like that synthetics won't swell due to moisture changes etc... how they wear has little influence on me, a rifle is a tool, even a nice rifle with nice wood I never had problems nicking or banging around, a scratch is character of course I don't throw a rifle in the back of a pickup either, kinda baby them in the field actually, but if the stock bangs a tree and scars I care less.

jerry d 02-08-2011 02:23 PM

Well for me I like the looks of wood. I too think of a rifle as a tool and if it isn't getting a few nicks n dings in it your not using it enough.
I read that all wood stocks should be bedded,what do you guys think?
Does that hold as true for synthetic stocks as well?
I'm partial to the Boyd laminated stock which I'm gonna replace my synthetic stock on my Rem. 700 with.
I'm reading up on how to bed the stock on the internet and I'm looking to get a book on it.Just a little unsure of myself because I never did it before.it doesn't seem to difficult...........that's what worries me LOL!!

VAhuntr 02-08-2011 02:45 PM

I like the feel of wood but like the utility aspect of a good synthetic stock. I have and use both. I use the synthetic when I know there will be rain and wood for the better days.

T-bird 02-08-2011 03:10 PM

call me old-school, but I like the traditional walnut

Nomercy448 02-08-2011 10:17 PM

There are few things in life that I find sexier than a stainless steel rifle bedded down into a Laminate Wood stock...

Besides the looks, laminate wood stocks are very stiff, and VERY resistant to changes in the weather. Wood is warm and natural feeling, MUCH better than synthetic crap. Plus, they hide scratches from "hard use" much better than solid wood stocks.

Bernie P. 02-09-2011 06:13 AM

I have both.