Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Synthetic or Wood stocks >

Synthetic or Wood stocks

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Synthetic or Wood stocks

Old 02-08-2011, 10:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Synthetic or Wood stocks

Which do you guys prefer and why.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

For me (IMO !)

A rifle is a tool, just like a good adjustable wrech.

I'm not going to keep it in pristine condition, but in good working order.

Sometimes it gets ugly/tough out there...........I don't want to be concerned about scratching the beautiful wood on my new gun.

I do like wood on a "fancy" shotguns though.

Synthetic & stainless steel as a rule for me.

Cleaning your gun is way overrated !!! LOL
Old 02-08-2011, 11:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Synthetic/carbon fiber for hunting.

Wood to look at.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Question Hmm.

Wood is much nicer to look at, and warmer to the touch. Probably prefer wood just slightly. Easy to mess up a nice wood stock during a hunt.

Synthetic can be much lighter, like the Brown stock I have on my 06. Makes it really nice to carry, and holds it zero year after year in all kinds of weather.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

synthetic/stainless is my new go to, id make an exception for african big bores, wood for those and nice!

btw nice synthetics, they do exist.

average wood used on most rifles nowadays to me isn't any nicer than a quality synthetic stock.

I like that synthetics won't swell due to moisture changes etc... how they wear has little influence on me, a rifle is a tool, even a nice rifle with nice wood I never had problems nicking or banging around, a scratch is character of course I don't throw a rifle in the back of a pickup either, kinda baby them in the field actually, but if the stock bangs a tree and scars I care less.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well for me I like the looks of wood. I too think of a rifle as a tool and if it isn't getting a few nicks n dings in it your not using it enough.
I read that all wood stocks should be bedded,what do you guys think?
Does that hold as true for synthetic stocks as well?
I'm partial to the Boyd laminated stock which I'm gonna replace my synthetic stock on my Rem. 700 with.
I'm reading up on how to bed the stock on the internet and I'm looking to get a book on it.Just a little unsure of myself because I never did it before.it doesn't seem to difficult...........that's what worries me LOL!!
Old 02-08-2011, 02:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like the feel of wood but like the utility aspect of a good synthetic stock. I have and use both. I use the synthetic when I know there will be rain and wood for the better days.
Old 02-08-2011, 03:10 PM
Fork Horn

call me old-school, but I like the traditional walnut
Old 02-08-2011, 10:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

There are few things in life that I find sexier than a stainless steel rifle bedded down into a Laminate Wood stock...

Besides the looks, laminate wood stocks are very stiff, and VERY resistant to changes in the weather. Wood is warm and natural feeling, MUCH better than synthetic crap. Plus, they hide scratches from "hard use" much better than solid wood stocks.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have both.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.