HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   heavy barrel 10/22 (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/339725-heavy-barrel-10-22-a.html)

bigcountryextreme 02-06-2011 11:39 AM

heavy barrel 10/22

My 10/22 shoots 4MOA. I have changed out the trigger to a 2lb model. glassed some areas. Still 4MOA gun. Tried every piece of ammo I could get. Stingers do the best. The subsonic target stuff sucks.

So looking for a heavy barrel. Green mountain is my range. Don't want to go to lilja or others >300dollars. Thoughts.

bigcountryextreme 02-06-2011 11:45 AM

Thanks RR, definatly in my range. I will check em out. I want the Dan lilja, but 350 is a bunch. Then another 150-200 for a high end stock.

bigcountryextreme 02-06-2011 12:04 PM

Nice rigs.

SecondChance 02-06-2011 06:06 PM

Drop some Lapua X-Act or Midas + in it or some Eley Tenex or black box match and watch those groups shink to almost nothing.

Maine Shooter 02-08-2011 03:56 PM

Have made 10 or so 10/22 builds and best bang for the buck in barrels are the Green Mt ones. For what you pay, you get a DARN good barrel. Keep in mind that when you say "heavy", the GM ones are all steel (or stainless if you go that route) as opposed to other .920 bbls that are aluminum.

Here's a few builds thus far:

More w/o pics and more still in progress

Centaur 1 02-08-2011 05:48 PM

I just did a little stock work and my groups really shrank in size, and I still have the standard barrel. The receiver is glass bedded and I did a lot of trigger group stoning. In case you can't tell the stock is free floated and I got rid of the barrel band. :wink:

bigcountryextreme 02-08-2011 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Maine Shooter (Post 3770699)
Have made 10 or so 10/22 builds and best bang for the buck in barrels are the Green Mt ones. For what you pay, you get a DARN good barrel. Keep in mind that when you say "heavy", the GM ones are all steel (or stainless if you go that route) as opposed to other .920 bbls that are aluminum.

Here's a few builds thus far:

More w/o pics and more still in progress

What kinda stock is this one. This is pretty well what I want to do with my rifle.

bigcountryextreme 02-08-2011 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by Centaur 1 (Post 3770749)
I just did a little stock work and my groups really shrank in size, and I still have the standard barrel. The receiver is glass bedded and I did a lot of trigger group stoning. In case you can't tell the stock is free floated and I got rid of the barrel band. :wink:

I stoned mine at first and ended up with a fully auto 22. Not a good thing. I bought a titanium sear. I figured that band would cause issues.

Nomercy448 02-08-2011 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by bigcountryextreme (Post 3770796)
What kinda stock is this one. This is pretty well what I want to do with my rifle.

Looks to me like it's a Ruger 10/22T Laminate Factory stock. Which is a pretty dang nice stock from the get go, but c'mon man, it's a 10/22, if you're building one up, you gotta pour on the glam!

I have a few of those stocks sitting around from my own builds/re-builds. Such a shame having such pretty bits of stockwork just sitting in the back of the closet.

Another option on a barrel, I bought a Blue (like royal blue) Aluminum Tactical Solutions barrel for one of my personal 10/22 builds. I taped it up and painted the flutes a matte silver/grey to match the blue and grey/silver of the rest of the rifle. Also added a DPMS muzzle break made for an AR-15, which I painted matte silver/grey... Just for looks...

I'll work on a pic, but she's blue and grey/silver from top to bottom. Blue Tac Sol barrel with matte silver painted fluting, Boyd's Revolution "Sky" stock, barracuda style in blue and grey laminate, stainless Volquartsen trigger (painted the trigger itself gloss blue), Tactical Solutions Blue aluminum mag release, Nikon Buckmasters 4.5-14x40mm side focus in Silver with 4" silver sunshade, Gloss blue painted flipcaps, silver aluminum Ruger base, Leupold rings painted gloss blue, Matte silver painted Harris Bi-pod, with gloss blue painted knobs, springs, feet, etc. She's blue and grey/silver from top to bottom. (It's an act of love, mostly just fun doing the work... but man she looks good!)

Barrel ran $250, I really just bought it for the looks, but it's been a real shooter.

statjunk 02-09-2011 09:25 AM

My Ruger 10/22 when from 1.5" at 25 yards to maybe .15" at 25 yards with just using a 16" fluted green mountain barrel.

I say maybe .15" because I've never measured but is just bigger than a ragged hole.

At 10 feet it shoots through the same hole over and over again. First time out was a shocker.

The only other mod I have is a trigger job that cost me $40. It was there even before I upgraded the barrel so it had no real effect on accuracy.

Main Shooter, those are some real nice rigs. Mine is fancy but not that fancy.

Tom