Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Entry level gun ? >

Entry level gun ?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Entry level gun ?

Old 02-05-2011, 12:45 PM
Spike

I have an "Entry Level" Marlin XL7 in a 30-06 and it shoots just as well as a savage. I just think most people feel the term is that of cheap. either way, find what you like and go with it. just my .02
Old 02-05-2011, 08:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

"In general, the term "Entry Level" is used to describe a product that is not as capable as a "top of the line" model, but will exceed the abilities of a new user, so it gives them a chance to make a "budget friendly" purchase and learn the ropes, and then purchase a more advanced product when their skills finally exceed the abilities of their equipment."

"The PROBLEM with that logic"

Who's definition ??? - Who's logic ???

Entry level is just that................and there is a WHOLE RANGE in between, before you get to the top of the line.

Most important to "success" is the operator !

Last edited by Sheridan; 02-06-2011 at 12:02 PM.
Old 02-06-2011, 04:50 AM
Typical Buck

Wink

Originally Posted by DesertGhost
I have an "Entry Level" Marlin XL7 in a 30-06 and it shoots just as well as a savage. I just think most people feel the term is that of cheap. either way, find what you like and go with it. just my .02
i have the Marlin XL7 in .270 too, i would consider it an entry level gun by price. but if no one had known what you'd pay for it im sure they would thinks its a $500+ dollar gun. I mean it looks good, shoots great, is smooth and light. The only thing i can complain about it that the stock seems to be hollow, but if that keeps the weight down, its fine by me.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Cool I understand

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
I have 2 things to say about Joe's wording here...

First off, "Good rifle"... A Steven's 200 is a "good rifle". A Ruger ranch rifle is a "good rifle". A Vanguard is a "good rifle". I can't think of anything from the major players that aren't "good guns". There are guns out there that aren't "Good", like a hi-point pistols, or Jennings pistols, but by and large, the major manufacturers do a good job at producing even "budget friendly" or "entry level" rifles that do a good job.

Personally, a "good rifle" is probably a "GREAT hunting rifle". I'd never knock an entry level rifle as a hunting rifle, and I certainly wouldn't necessarily just call it "a good rifle".

The 2nd thing is "if I ever needed one"... 90% of hunters are guys that sighted their rifle in at 50 or 100yrds and read a balistics chart to guess-timate where it's going to hit at 200, 400, and 600yrds, then they keep their rifle in the closet all year, then go fire a group or two before season to double check the zero (maybe not) and take it deer hunting... And they always come home with meat for the pot. (One of my uncles is still hunting out of the same 4 boxes of ammo he bought 40yrs ago the day he bought his rifle-only sighted in once).

My point is, unless you just WANT something a little more refined (read: drive a luxury car), or you have another USE for the rifle, like precision competition, then the average hunter would never NEED anything more than an entry level gun.

Luxury rifles: A Lexus doesn't necessarily last any longer than a Honda Civic, it just looks better doing it. A Weatherby might not last any longer, or shoot any straighter than a Vangaurd (same company), it just looks better doing it...

Precision rifles: A NASCAR car doesn't last NEARLY as long as a Honda Civic, but the demands for it's short life are MUCH higher. A hunting rifle like a Stevens 200 might last for generations without ever needing any work done, while 1,000yrd shooters can go through a barrel every few months.
I do get what you are saying. I have a friend who used to be "into" Weatherbys. Now he is having custom guns built with special actions, barrels, stocks, you name it. He does a lot of long range shooting, and enjoys it. I have two sons in college, with another going in 2 years, so I could have something like that built, but don't see it as a priority. The other part of my comment is that I do have what I see as a pretty nice gun, a Husqvarna M 8000 (the Carl Gustav type). It is very smooth, weighs 7# with scope, sling, and mag full of ammo, due to its Brown Precision stock. It laughs at what my post '64 Winchester M 70 thought were "max" loads, and shoots under MOA with many loads. That's why I said "If I ever needed one." It isn't a long range weapon by any means, but I just do conventional hunting so far and have not shot a deer over 200 yards yet. I know that many do such things routinely.

I guess I continue to be amazed at what you can buy for roughly half the price of a new "flagship" compound bow, a gun that honestly could serve a hunter well for a lifetime, and depreciate far slower than any bow made, including the almighty Mathews. I still prefer to take deer with a bow if possible, but I still also enjoy working on, and shooting rifles.