Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
is the .223 considered a "high-powered" rifle by state laws? >

is the .223 considered a "high-powered" rifle by state laws?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

is the .223 considered a "high-powered" rifle by state laws?

Old 02-01-2011, 02:17 PM
Typical Buck

Default is the .223 considered a "high-powered" rifle by state laws?

well there are some coyotes in the county i live in (allegheny county PA) if any of you know what round is the smallest the would be considered not a high powered rifle it would help, tho i tend to think this is the start of the high powered rifles. because this county is a no-high powered rifle county. it limits me to shotguns, muzzle loaders, and anything smaller than a high powered rifle! if you know it would be appreciated. oh and could my .22 short take out a coyote?
thanks
Old 02-01-2011, 03:43 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
yes, its centerfire, your best bet in a 22 mag and I like the 50 gr hp federal ammo, we here in wv are limited to rimfires for night hunting.
RR
yes, if only i had a 22 mag. maybe ill just use my slug gun. i cant believe you can only night hunt with rimfires, that is stupid IMO
Old 02-01-2011, 05:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Did you ever hear of a "low powered rifle"?
Old 02-02-2011, 04:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Man....I think a High-powered Rifle could even be the following Calibers?

.22-250 (center fire)
.22 Hornet (center fire)
.220 Swift (center fire)
.204 Ruger (center fire)
.17 Remington Fireball (center fire)
.17 HMR rim fire
Old 02-02-2011, 05:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd check with the state, but I believe that the term high power is synonymous with centerfire.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Depends on the exact legal jargon. A decent lawyer could make it go either way. if they are that vague I'd shoot a .223 for sure. It is in the lower 25% of centerfires as far as muzzle energy is concerned. Just make sure you scan all of the law and not a piece of it. Words like rimfire and centerfire are usually found around such laws.
Old 02-03-2011, 12:41 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Vapodog
Did you ever hear of a "low powered rifle"?
well i asked about my .22 didnt i?! i dont think thats a high powered rifle! like these other guys are saying that they think anything that is a center fire would be high powered. so dont be a smart ass, atleast thats what your reply sounded like to me.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

huntingkid:

I looked up the PA Hunting digest, page 83 Special Regulations area (all of Allegheny county). For small game and huntable furbearers (coyotes), you can use shotgun, bow/arrow, and rimfire rifles of 22 cal and smaller. So a 22, 22mag. or 17 HMR would be legal. Any centerfire, (even a 22 hornet) would not be legal as I am reading it.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:18 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by JOE PA
huntingkid:

I looked up the PA Hunting digest, page 83 Special Regulations area (all of Allegheny county). For small game and huntable furbearers (coyotes), you can use shotgun, bow/arrow, and rimfire rifles of 22 cal and smaller. So a 22, 22mag. or 17 HMR would be legal. Any centerfire, (even a 22 hornet) would not be legal as I am reading it.
thanks, i couldnt find my game book. it hard to believe that coyotes are getting into these areas. im only 15 minutes from pittsburgh!
Old 02-04-2011, 07:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs down A plague!

There are a lot around here too. More every year. Had one following me along a dirt road in the woods on my way to a treestand in the dark. Lots howling in wooded areas. No wonder deer pop is down.