HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   The more you know, the less you know? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/339437-more-you-know-less-you-know.html)

salukipv1 02-01-2011 10:15 AM

The more you know, the less you know?

Anyone else out there feel like the more that they have learned about rifles, cartridges, etc... the more you realize you don't know?

A guy who knows nothing about hunting etc... might go out and buy a .270win and with no knowledge at all really, may have just made a great decision.

A guy could drive himself nuts trying to decide between a .300win mag, WSM, Weatherby, RUM, etc...etc... most popular vs. best? what does best even mean?
will it be around in 20 years?
short action? long action?
belted? beltless?

I'm kinda of the belief "go with the popular round" but in certain circumstances it may make sense to go with a different cartridge.

Am I going nuts here?

Anyone else out there go through these debates with themselves or others ever?

I mean really do we need any other cartridge aside from the following?

.22LR
.223 Rem
.243 Win.
.25-06 Rem.
.270 Win.
7mm Rem.Mag.
.30-06
.300 Win.Mag.
.338 Win.Mag.
.375 H&H
.416 Rigby
.458 Lott

halfbakedi420 02-01-2011 10:21 AM

lol tell me..i asked about a 270 with a break fer the 12 y/o daughter, and opinions def vary..so im still in the air about it. i'd like someday fer her to eventually hit 400yards. and any bullet can do it of course. but HOW DO YA KNOW!!!

salukipv1 02-01-2011 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420 (Post 3767029)
lol tell me..i asked about a 270 with a break fer the 12 y/o daughter, and opinions def vary..so im still in the air about it. i'd like someday fer her to eventually hit 400yards. and any bullet can do it of course. but HOW DO YA KNOW!!!

have you bought the .270 yet?

I remember being that age and i swear that .270 kicked like an ultra mag!

I think a .243 or 7mm-08 is the perfect young person's caliber.

I also am no longer a fan of muzzle breaks, but for a kid I could see the benefit, just wear hearing protection!

Of course nowadays they have those reduced recoil loads for the .270win shooting like 110gr bullets.

Big Uncle 02-01-2011 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by salukipv1 (Post 3767025)
Anyone else out there feel like the more that they have learned about rifles, cartridges, etc... the more you realize you don't know?

I believe that this is true of most subjects. Only the blissfully ignorant are absolutely sure.

zrexpilot 02-01-2011 02:44 PM

yes and no, the older i got the more I realised i didnt need much to kill almost everything.
A .22 hornet does 90% of my killing. The only reason I pull the big ones out is so they dont just sit there, dont really need too just have to use them sometimes you know

Wolf killer 02-01-2011 04:09 PM

I have several rifles to choose from when I open the gun safe door. I have been grabbing my 270-Winchester or my 340-Weatherby and leaving everything else alone. I do not think I really need any other rilfes but I might buy one.:s4:

Nomercy448 02-01-2011 04:41 PM

I'm an engineer, so I tend to OVER analyze absolutely everything, shooting not excluded...

However, hunting is a different ball of wax. Hunting performance is VERY different than precision competition. Lobbing a bullet out to 250yrds and making a heart and lung shot on a deer with a cartridge capable of penetrating and transferring enough energy to do the deed is a pretty simple task, relatively speaking.

Personally, for ANY topic, there is more information than you could ever WANT to learn, no matter how what your level of interest... No matter how deep you dig, you'll always keep finding more and more dirt...

Sfury 02-01-2011 04:58 PM

I did a lot of research before I bought my 7mm08. I checked on everything but ammo availability. It's a round that can do whatever I want to do.

I like my gun, but wish I had checked on the ammo availability first.

Knowing more isn't bad, it's just, well, frustrating at times. There's a ton of information to sift through.

Blackelk 02-01-2011 05:35 PM

I really do think it could become a nightmare in today's massive selection of rifles, scopes, and bullets. If you don't know and haven't tried any of them out your at the mercy of a gun shop guys opinion or a bunch of people online in forums just like this one. One guys bad experience may turn another off from the best equipment suited for them. Or could save him a bad experience all together. I myself am moving onto long range bench rest so yes I feel the overload of information. But thank god I have page after page of equipment selections and articles discussing information on all of it. I find it fascinating how much information is out there to be had. But I can tell you at this point I'm still tossing around a caliber choice. Yep I remember when there was 5 channels on TV too wasn't hard to decide what you wanted to watch.

Sheridan 02-01-2011 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by salukipv1

"I believe that this is true of most subjects. Only the blissfully ignorant are absolutely sure." Big Uncle

+ 1 classic cartridge guy, but I couldn't help but buy a .17 HMR & a .204 Ruger.