Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
good by Remington >

good by Remington

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

good by Remington

Old 03-09-2011, 10:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by vtgao
Fritz1,

Hope you are still following this thread, sorry it took so long to reply, been busy and on vacation.

First point, a fire sale means heavily discounted, not offered at the original asking price. Don't pay any attention to MSRP for firearms, all firearm Mfrs have pie in the sky MSRPs listed in their catalogs / websites, my experience/opinion.

And for your information, caliber ( or should I be pre-corrected by stating "cartridge choice", just so we don't startup that nonsense argument with the English majors that enjoy this site ) usually does not affect a given mfg/model/finish prices unless you are comparing a mag. to a non-mag. offering, example a 7mmRemMag and a 300WinMag are going to cost the same for the same make----> MFG/model/finish of firearm, ALMOST always.

The reason items are put on sale is to clear out inventory when that inventory is not moving at "normal" pricing levels. Or when you want to give your competition a hard time ( Cabelas vs. Walmart ). I am not making this up. In my experience as a gun dealer, I seldom found "Brownings" on sale, and when I would question my distributors the answer they would come back with is
Browning does not have to put their firearms on sale, their reputation sells the product.

You betray your shoot first, think later attitude by answering the "Gun-Tests" portion of my post.

Do some research before you fire up Ye'Ole keyboard..............Gun Tests does not take advertising.

And since they are pricey as far as subscriptions go >$25/year ( greater than Twenty-Five dollars per year, that's what all those symbols mean ), I seriously doubt that you have ever examined a single issue of GUN-Tests, or consumers reports, now have you?

Before responding to another post please know what you are talking about. No, forget that. Instead invite me to deer camp, I have a feeling I could make a lot of money off of someone like you!!! Wanna bet?

Best Regards, GAO
Say what you will, but to be honest, I wouldnt own a new Browning. I have several Brownings but they were made when a Browning was a real gun, they are Belgium made and not some *** crap! Brownings are made in Japan because they dont want to have to pay someone a honest wage for their labor so they have Japers put them together cheaply and charge alot for a gun that didnt cost them squat to build, its all about profit, not quality. I will stick with good ole American made guns and support are economy instead of supporting a foriegn countries economy.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:39 PM
Banned

Default My 2-Cents

Originally Posted by DeerandbearhoG
I dont know what exactly the #s are, but I gotta imagine remington produces and sells, more rifles and shotguns than most other companies, maybe combined??? I may be wrong, but it would seem to me, that this might factor into the amount of lemons they put out?

IMO ruger and TC are the most overrated brands out there . I owned a couple M77s and was not impressed with eithers accuracy, or fit/finsh, or rugers customer service. I sent a M77 back to them cause the trigger was like an 870s, they sent it back a month later "worked on", it was exactly the same. TC sidelock MLs are decent but the encore is a POS!

My only experiences w/ remington customer service was trivial, but good. I bought a used 700 adl years ago w/ the rear sight missing I called up R and they just asked my for the ser.# and sent me a new one free. They also sent me a free mag plug too once.

The nicest walnut stock I have ever bought was a 1100 trap model about 5 years ago, absolutely stunning shotgun , my 700 mtllss is the best looking, most accurate bolt action Ive ever owned.

If you want to pay for a little more quality, remington offers that, if you want a 300$ tupperware/spraypainted POS, they offer that too, you chose, but dont whine when you get what you pay for cause you aint getting any better for the $ anywhere else.

The walmarts around here dont sell guns so I wouldnt know.
Bob,

My apologies for the late reply,

Poll numbers mean nothing, the fact that more people on this site own Remingtons is the fact contributing factor as to why they lead the popularity poll on this site.
Here's a story to back up my one of my reasons for being a little more than suspect about Remingtons quality. A very good friend of mine, "Larry" a fellow FFL dealer and co-worker at the company that we both worked at for over 30 years ( Major computer chip mfr) in quality / reliability / product assurance engineering, went to Remington and took a gun smithing course offered by Remington at the time ( mid-late nineties?? can't remember the exact date). Larry has passed on now so he won't be of much help. Larry was offered a tour thru Rem.s customer service center, during his 2 or 3 week stay there. To say the least he was not impressed. As a matter of fact I don't believe he ever purchased another Remington after that for his own use and would do his most to make sure his customers would consider other mfrs before placing an order for a Remington thru him. And Larry never had a bad thing to say about just about any single Mfr, until he took this tour. And by the way, he enjoyed and excelled at the armorers course he took at Remington. He just was not impressed with the customer service area, for too many reasons to list here.

Remember that there is a difference between the number of lemons and the percentage of lemons.

IMO TC and Ruger quality and customer service are way above par. Perfect, who is? I am drawing off my experiences as well as other dealer I know of.

Where in my post did you feel I was whining?

And you are trying to convince me that you get what you pay for?!? Did you read the part that said I have a business that sells firearms?

I was giving my 2-cents worth, and for the record, I've owned, do currently own, have purchased and /or sold all of the firearms I mentioned in the original post. I do not make a greater commission or profit on one firearm or another. It comes down to the fact that I am basically lazy and don't like to take on "Service after the sale" any more than necessary.

You'll have to go back and research the posts where folks on this site and other sites for that matter, would spout off and talk about how much money they saved by purchasing their firearm or Muzzle-loader at Walmart versus a locale gun-shop.
As you have correctly stated, very few "Marts" including Wally-world are selling firearms these days. So I wonder who's providing service after the sale to all of those cost minded folks that got the deal at Walmart? Wally's gotten a little afraid of lawsuits!!!

Best Regards, GAO
Old 03-10-2011, 03:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by fritz1
Say what you will, but to be honest, I wouldnt own a new Browning. I have several Brownings but they were made when a Browning was a real gun, they are Belgium made and not some *** crap! Brownings are made in Japan because they dont want to have to pay someone a honest wage for their labor so they have Japers put them together cheaply and charge alot for a gun that didnt cost them squat to build, its all about profit, not quality. I will stick with good ole American made guns and support are economy instead of supporting a foriegn countries economy.

The quality, fit, and finish on the latest Browning X-Bolt I purchased is much better than the last Remington CDL I purchased in 2008(when compared side by side). The Browning was less money and shoots much better as well.....and both rifles are the same cartridge.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:30 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by vtgao
And for all that quote the poll results: It is titled WHICH GUN, it does not say which is the best gun, which gun do you own, which gun was your first, which gun your heart desires.

Shoot more, shoot more often, gao
My votes would still be Remington
Old 03-11-2011, 06:14 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Stop it - personal attacks are against HNI rules - man I hate editing ~ just as soon lock this thread and delete the whole mess.

JW

Last edited by JW; 03-11-2011 at 09:38 AM.
Old 03-11-2011, 12:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

.......anyway, I just talked to the gunsmith and my XCR should be ready next week!!
Old 03-11-2011, 06:45 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by JW!
Debate is Healthy ~ you guys get into a Flaming match is not! And watch your language!

JW
JW,

At least two users in this tread are hell-bent on causing problems and haven't added a constructive post yet.
Is there some type of age limit or maturity spec users on this site need to pass before they are allowed to post?
Huntingnet is becoming Romper room in the last number of years. Lot's of posts, no information.

Larry, from the land beyond.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 462x0
JW,

At least two users in this tread are hell-bent on causing problems and haven't added a constructive post yet.
Is there some type of age limit or maturity spec users on this site need to pass before they are allowed to post?
Huntingnet is becoming Romper room in the last number of years. Lot's of posts, no information.

Larry, from the land beyond.
For your information....Huntingnet went through some hard times in the past couple of years. We are on our way back. This site is not what it used to be but it is headed in the right direction. Trolls like you just need to be banned again and again until you get tired of coming back. It's funny that you make a "maturity spec" remark while you are in the middle of a very childish post. LMFAO!
Old 03-12-2011, 10:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 462x0
Lot's of posts, no information.

Ill add # 194 to that list
Old 03-13-2011, 05:54 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Thread is locked ~ I have also alerted Admins and am awaiting their review.

JW