Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
good by Remington >

good by Remington

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

good by Remington

Old 02-25-2011, 08:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Sheridan
How can any "poll" not have Marlin on the list of rifles and Nikon & Burris not on the list of scopes ?!?!
Both polls had a spot for others, I would assume the Marlins, Nikons And Burris would be concidered in these groups, They werent listed, if you like, and didnt see them on the list wouldnt you vote for other? Thats a no brainer in my book.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Fritz,

I think you missed my point; if one was to made a list of rifles wouldn't one include Marlin before "others" ?

That's all.

Kinda like this;

http://www.chuckhawks.com/rec_center...fle_brands.htm
Old 02-26-2011, 12:41 AM
Banned

My 2-Cents, Ladies and Gents,

Remington is indeed capable of producing quality products, like my 1927 vintage M11-12ga. They are also quite capable and willing to market crap like the 710 and 770!!!
They have an absolutely horrible reputation for customer service. Period. And I don't care if that fact makes you cry...To bad, so sad.

Ever wonder why you seldom see those expensive BROWNINGS on fire sales or discounted heavily? Simply stated, they don't have to, quality sells itself. I don't have a lot of experience with BROWNING'S customer service dept. I wonder why --- Not!

Other quality Mfg's include TC and Ruger, yes ruger. And both of these companies offer outstanding customer service, legendary with customers as well as dealers / distributors.

Want quality / accuracy right out of the box: SAVAGE. No surprise here, plenty of folks have stated this before on this site and others. And that's the way it is...

Ever hear of the magazine "Gun-Tests"???

Before you order your "Gun of your dreams", do your homework, figure out what you really want, what it will cost, add 25% and buy it from a real live gun shop, now there's an idea!!! And insist that they source the firearm and / or package ( scope , mounts, sling, case and all ) from DAVIDSON'S, a distributor that offers a lifetime guarantee above and beyond that of the manufacturers'. I wonder if WALMART / KMART / ANY-MART does that????.....

I am a former Dealer / FFL and have a little experience in what I am spouting here...

And as for the Wally world fans out there, knock yourselves out.
I my opinion, WM is a great place to purchase under ware, tampons, motor oil, cheap tennis shoes. If you're going there to get a great firearm I hope you find it the first time around. Because that kid behind the sporting goods counter probably knows more about firearms and the like than you ever will, although he will likely have moved on to the produce dept. when you come back in for service after the SALE.

Anyway, shoot more, shoot more often.

God Bless America, gao
Old 02-26-2011, 04:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by vtgao

Ever wonder why you seldom see those expensive BROWNINGS [COLOR=black]on fire sales or discounted heavily? Simply stated, they don't have to, quality sells itself. I don't have a lot of experience with BROWNING'S customer service dept. I wonder why --- Not![/COLO

Ever hear of the magazine "Gun-Tests"???

Anyway, shoot more, shoot more often.

God Bless America, gao
You can go to Cabelas right now and get any caliber Browning A bolt for $599, the same price as a Remington SPS S/S, Its $100 cheaper than a Ruger laminate. So yes Browning does have these fire sales where there guns are heavily discounted. Brownings make good guns, no doubt, but I would not go as far to say they are best made. I have read that alot of gunsmiths wont work on them, something to do with the threads on the barrels, I believe.
As far as Magazine "Gun Test", Who do you think pays these magazines to test and promote there rifles?, The gun Manufactors! When was the last time you read a bad review on any gun? Just my two cents, not trying to start a arguement, just giving you someone elses poit of view.
Old 02-26-2011, 04:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by fritz1
Have you seen the gun poll? It doesnt look, its good by to Remington, looks to me like the Remington is the overall perfered rifle! Here you might want to lokk at it again.

Remington 940 32.71%
Winchester 297 10.33%
Weatherby 134 4.66%
Savage 255 8.87%
Browning 351 12.21%
Ithaca 26 0.90%
Beretta 38 1.32%
Benelli 82 2.85%
Federal 4 0.14%
Ruger 270 9.39%
Sako 134 4.66%
Other 270 9.39%
Thompson Center 73 2.54%

Your beloved Weatherby happens to be one of the worst rated rifles by hunters on this forum. Remingtons are by far the most highly rated rifle here. There is wisdom in numbers. Seems to me you are a minority with your thoughts, zrexpilot

Marketing.
ever wonder why someone would pay 700.00 bucks for a break in half single shot.
Advertising.
Old 02-26-2011, 05:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by zrexpilot
Marketing.
ever wonder why someone would pay 700.00 bucks for a break in half single shot.
Advertising.
And if you notice the poll shows that a little over 2% of the people perfer the Thompson Center. So apparently there marketing statigy hasnt worked for them.
Old 02-26-2011, 05:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by vtgao

Remington is indeed capable of producing quality products, like my 1927 vintage M11-12ga. They are also quite capable and willing to market crap like the 710 and 770!!!
They have an absolutely horrible reputation for customer service. Period. And I don't care if that fact makes you cry...To bad, so sad.

Ever wonder why you seldom see those expensive BROWNINGS on fire sales or discounted heavily? Simply stated, they don't have to, quality sells itself. I don't have a lot of experience with BROWNING'S customer service dept. I wonder why --- Not!

Other quality Mfg's include TC and Ruger, yes ruger. And both of these companies offer outstanding customer service, legendary with customers as well as dealers / distributors.
I dont know what exactly the #s are, but I gotta imagine remington produces and sells, more rifles and shotguns than most other companies, maybe combined??? I may be wrong, but it would seem to me, that this might factor into the amount of lemons they put out?

IMO ruger and TC are the most overrated brands out there . I owned a couple M77s and was not impressed with eithers accuracy, or fit/finsh, or rugers customer service. I sent a M77 back to them cause the trigger was like an 870s, they sent it back a month later "worked on", it was exactly the same. TC sidelock MLs are decent but the encore is a POS!

My only experiences w/ remington customer service was trivial, but good. I bought a used 700 adl years ago w/ the rear sight missing I called up R and they just asked my for the ser.# and sent me a new one free. They also sent me a free mag plug too once.

The nicest walnut stock I have ever bought was a 1100 trap model about 5 years ago, absolutely stunning shotgun , my 700 mtllss is the best looking, most accurate bolt action Ive ever owned.

If you want to pay for a little more quality, remington offers that, if you want a 300$ tupperware/spraypainted POS, they offer that too, you chose, but dont whine when you get what you pay for cause you aint getting any better for the $ anywhere else.
And as for the Wally world fans out there, knock yourselves out.
I my opinion,
The walmarts around here dont sell guns so I wouldnt know.
Old 02-26-2011, 05:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here are the results from another poll, from the "Shooters Forum", As you can see Remington once again comes out on top. Notice the trend there. Remingtons are not going anywhere, they are THE #1 rifle in the minds of hunters everywhere, believe it or not!

View Poll Results: Your favorite bolt action?
Mauser 8 7.92%
rugger m77 17 16.83%
remington 700 25 24.75%
howa/vangaurd 1 0.99%
winchester model 70 17 16.83%
savage 10 9.90%
marlin 2 1.98%
browning a or x bolt 6 5.94%
1903 springfield 4 3.96%
other 15 14.85%
Old 02-26-2011, 06:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here is the link Sheridan posted. It still shows Remington on top! Go Figure!!!!

Recommended Centerfire Rifle Brands

By the Guns and Shooting Online Staff

One of the most frequent e-mail questions we get is, "What brand of hunting rifle should I buy?" In an effort to help I wrote, "Recommended Centerfire Hunting Rifles," which names the specific models that I personally prefer in a number of categories. But those recommendations are strictly my opinion.

In order to get a wider range of opinions, I asked various members of the Guns and Shooting Online staff to name up to three of their favorite BRANDS of hunting rifles and here are the results. Note that each person's list is in alphabetical order, not order of preference.

Alex Boughamer (Writer): Browning, Remington.

Ann Decker (Office Assistant): Weatherby.

Bob Fleck (Technical Assistant): Marlin, Savage, Weatherby.

Jim Fleck (Chief Technical Assistant): Browning, Marlin, Weatherby.

Glenn Harmaning (Writer): Marlin, Remington, Ruger.

Terry Hart (Contributing Editor): CZ, H&R, T/C.

Chuck Hawks (Managing Editor): Marlin, Weatherby, Winchester.

Rocky Hays (Gunsmithing Consultant): Remington, T/C, Weatherby.

Nathan Rauzon (Technical Assistant): Remington, Ruger, Savage.

Jack Seeling (Technical Assistant): Marlin, Remington, Ruger.

Carl Swanson (Writer): Browning, Marlin, Ruger.

David Tong (Writer): CZ, Remington, Ruger.

Randy Wakeman (Senior Contributing Editor): Browning, Ruger, Savage.

Jon Y. Wolfe (Contributing Editor): Kimber.

The results of this little survey of "experts" were more interesting and diverse than I expected. A total of 11 different brands were recommended. They ranged from what I would consider upscale brands (Weatherby, Kimber, Browning) to inexpensive (H&R). All are valid choices depending on budget and purpose.

Clearly, different individuals had different ideas about price and value. Yet several respondents included both a relatively expensive and a more moderately priced brand on their list (Weatherby and Marlin, for example). Evidently, what was most important to them was "value"--getting a full measure of what you pay for--not price per se. For those who are interested in such things, here are the recommendation totals:

Ruger - 6
Marlin - 6
Remington - 6
Weatherby - 5
Browning - 4
Savage - 3
CZ - 2
T/C - 2
Winchester - 1
Kimber - 1
H&R - 1
Old 02-26-2011, 07:23 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by zrexpilot
I just like rustling the feathers of rem fans, they get sooooo defensive.
No offense, but it looks as they feathers are getting rustled on both sides.

Carry on the rustling.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.