Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
good by Remington >

good by Remington

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

good by Remington

Old 02-02-2011, 11:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Lets see...ya walk in, pick up a rifle, handle it, operate it, look it over, buy it, probably shoot it. Then ya come to an open forum and whine about it cause its not made to the quality standards that you overlooked when ya bought it in the first place.

Ok I get it................
Old 02-03-2011, 04:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Centaur 1
I'm a Marlin lever action fanatic and I'll be buying used guns in the future.
You're rifles will likely go up in value because I'm sure what has been happening will continue to happen because they won't see a return on their investment and will scale back. All the while never seeing that it's actually the horrible manufacturing that is killing them.

Tom
Old 02-03-2011, 05:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by stapher1
+1...Out of all these "better" guns out there, the Remmy 700 is still used by US military snipers. And the most copied action for custom or competition actions on the market. Of which use the factory floorplate and tiggers and stocks and bases and stocks.
sure a rem can be made to shoot, lets see replace the bolt, action trued and squared, replace the barrel, bed the action, your now to the quility standard of a factory vanguard.

One reason the action is easy to copy is because its round and can be put in a lathe, not many builders have a CNC machine, and thats how vanguard and winchesters are made, in a CNC, they both have a flat base reciever, with huge square lugs, lay it in a quality stock and you have perfect reciever to stock fitment, oh wait the sub moa already does that, right from the factory.

99.9999 % of us arent gun builders, so for us factory guns are all were going to own, so we should pick one thats of quality, Rem aint one of them.

Old 02-03-2011, 05:55 AM
Typical Buck

That's a statement!!!!!!!! Silver sodered(sp)
Old 02-03-2011, 06:14 AM
Fork Horn

my next rifle will be a vanguard.i also have a 1951 721 i use on a regular basis,bone stock trigger set to 3lbs and i have never had any part of it fail.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Centaur 1
The problem doesn't lie with Remington, Marlin or any of their designs, but rather with the parent company that owns both of them
Well said. I've had experience with older Remingtons, and they have all been fine guns that anyone would be proud to put their name on. However, every experience I've had with a Remington made in the last 3-4 years has been negative. That's what turned me off from them. I'd not hesitate to buy a Remington that was made 20 years ago.

While Savage, every experience I've had with new or old has been great.
Same with a few other companies.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Zrex,

I've seen several pictures of guys holding bolt handle in one hand remainder of bolt in the other.

As far as the parent holding company being the issue, no one can argue that problem. However they are Remington now. So unless someone with more money than they know what to do with comes by and makes an offer for Remington, the Remington you know today is the Remington that will always be.

Tom
Old 02-03-2011, 10:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by zrexpilot
sure a rem can be made to shoot,
I made my 2008' pencil barreled, un bedded, 700mtlss, shoot pretty good, by opening the box, and mounting a scope. Attachment 15744 but yeah I can see your point, I mean look at this thing pure junk! Attachment 15745
lets see replace the bolt, action trued and squared, replace the barrel, bed the action, your now to the quility standard of a factory vanguard.
the VG has a custom barrel, bedded stock and blueprinted action, huh?
One reason the action is easy to copy is because its round and can be put in a lathe, not many builders have a CNC machine, and thats how vanguard and winchesters are made, in a CNC, they both have a flat base reciever, with huge square lugs, lay it in a quality stock and you have perfect reciever to stock fitment, oh wait the sub moa already does that, right from the factory.
Lets not get carried away about the vanguard, it has a injection molded tupperware stock ,the higher end VGmodels and the new 1000$ winchesters, use a 100$ B&C kevlar stock. Were not talking micmillian stocks and lilja barrels here.

BTW didnt you buy a VG ZREX? I seem to remember you put a aftermarket stock on it, why would you replace such a "quality stock"?

Ive handled the VG and the new winny, theyre both decent rifles, the model 70 etreme weather are real nice and smooth, but Ive owned quite a few different brands, and nothing ive ever owned shoots ,looks and feels as good as a 700, but thats my opinon and the only one I can give.

Cant say much about the VG since I never bought one due to fact that I find them awkward and clunky.
Does remington have QC issues with a certain # of rfles they produce? absolutely! does savage, ruger, tikka, TC etc...? in my personal experience, yes. Question is, how many rifles does Remington produce a year? how many do other companies?

Last edited by DeerandbearhoG; 02-03-2011 at 10:17 AM.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by hometheaterman

That being said I agree with the OP. I see no reason to buy a Remington as every advantage to them, some other company has done better. That toppled with the fact that Remington seems to have a lot of quality issues with their newer products.

However, I've learned that on this forum you don't insult Remington or Leupold, as no matter what else is better, guys on this forum don't like to admit it and will argue forever that you are wrong or don't know what you are talking about if you don't like a Remington and top it with a Leupold scope.

Im curious here... You've been all over the net bashing Nikon scopes and you've never owned one... but you did look thru one owned by your mother's brother's sister's uncle's cousin's stepbrother. How many Remington's do you own or have you owned? Who is putting the sugar in the Windex? Because you sure are doing a lot of window licking...
Old 02-03-2011, 10:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by DeerandbearhoG
the new 1000$ winchesters, use a 100$ B&C kevlar stock. Were not talking micmillian stocks and lilja barrels here.
Hard to argue with much of what you wrote. My only issue is with the above. The B&C stock on the EW is an over $300 stock at least the last time I checked when I was pricing going this route.

It's an awesome stock. Much better than the typical B&C offerings. And minus the snob factor I'd put it up there with a McMillan easily.

Also I don't know how many of the new Winchesters you've shot but I've own two and handloaded for both. After the initital break in, both have shot 3/4 moa with every reload combination I put through them. Beyond that they both nearly shoot to the same POI for similar powders etc....

I have been very impressed. From what I've been reading on other forums folks are seeing about the same performance. At least those that are reporting.

So it's not a Lija barrel but it's a factory barrel that shoots pretty close to custom.

Tom

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.