Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Need reviews on this gun. Just bought it. >

Need reviews on this gun. Just bought it.

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Need reviews on this gun. Just bought it.

Old 01-27-2011, 06:02 AM
Spike

Default Need reviews on this gun. Just bought it.

Its a Savage 10 .308 Win. With a Choate stock and Simmons 3x9-40 Scope. Any reviews from someone who has owned a Savage?
Attached Thumbnails Need reviews on this gun. Just bought it.-cimg4976.jpg  
Old 01-27-2011, 07:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like the rifle itself but IMO you'll seriously need to upgrade from the Simmons scope. As it stands the rifle will shoot much better than the Simmons scope will allow it to.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Throw the scope on a 22 and get some real glass. I'm not a fan of Savages but it should be a shooter.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great rifle. As for shooting much better than the Simmons scope, I had one of those scopes on a centerfire rifle for 8 or 9 months. It worked great and was fairly clear for the price. Optically, I couldn't tell a difference between it and the Nikon Prostaff I replaced it with. The Simmons didn't track the best, but once it was set it stayed zeroed. The rifle shot sub moa groups all day long with the Simmons, so once I put the Nikon on their it didn't shoot any better. Honestly, I was worried about the Simmons failing on a hunt so I sold it and upgraded, but it didn't give me any problems, or any reason to believe it would fail other than the guys on forums telling me that they were bad. So I'd not hesitate to shoot with it on that rifle, but you might eventually want to upgrade to something better. Once you get into the $170+ price range you can start getting glass that's a good bit better.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:30 PM
Site Bouncer

That rifle will shoot just fine, it's not a long distance target rifle by any means but for hunting it will do anything you ask of it.

Now as far as the optics go, simmons scopes are on the lower end. Sure they will look great in the store or on the range. When compared in these situations to higher end scopes it will be hard to tell the difference optically. However, get them in the field under "less than favorable" weather conditions and you will notice the difference right away. Under extreme heat, cold, rain, fog, elevation, and the daily abuse of hunting as well as many, many rounds down the barrel the higher end scopes will still be there crystal clear keeping zero while the lower end scopes will not.

Get a quality optic and you'll have a good hunting rifle for the rest of your life.

Congrats on the rifle!
Old 01-27-2011, 05:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wouldn''t one check and ask for reviews before making the purchase?
Old 01-27-2011, 06:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BigJ71
That rifle will shoot just fine, it's not a long distance target rifle by any means but for hunting it will do anything you ask of it.
I disagree, I think long range target shooting is exactly what that model is designed for, I certainly wouldnt want to carry it around hunting.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

Wouldn''t one check and ask for reviews before making the purchase?
That's exactly what I was thinking. Asking for "reviews" after the fact is more akin to asking people to validate the choice you made.
Old 01-28-2011, 03:28 PM
Fork Horn

big fan of savage, the gun is a shooter, would replace the optics
Old 01-30-2011, 02:59 PM
Typical Buck

You picked a very good rifle and very good caliber. I have the 16 weather warrior in stainless 308. My favorite and probably my most accurate rifle.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.