Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Custom .308 Win. >

Custom .308 Win.

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Custom .308 Win.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:55 PM
Fork Horn

very nice work. Well done
Old 01-28-2011, 02:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Smile Brown

I have a Brown Precision stock with a Husqvarna 8000 barreled action. My favorite gun. I looked into one for this gun, and was very surprised how much they cost now. Don't even remember what the one I have cost it was so long ago.

Don't have any guns that cost a lot or are worth much, but they all can shoot for what they are.
Old 01-28-2011, 04:23 AM
Typical Buck

Looks really good.
Old 01-29-2011, 06:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thats a beautiful piece of wood. Really nice job on the Monte Carlo roll over. Did you do the checkering? Looks like 28-32 LPI. If so, great time and patience went into that. I don't have that kind of patience anymore. Great gun all the same. Your son should be very pleased with it!!!

Last edited by SecondChance; 02-06-2011 at 11:27 AM.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Smile Thanks

Thanks for the kind words.

The wood is a piece of American Walnut from a big 2' diameter) log I bought in the '70s. Hard wood but kinda porous. Does not hold fine checkering. It is 20 lpi. Getting feeling back in my index finger now, a week later.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have made 2 stocks and have ABSOLUTELY no plans to EVER make another!!!!! I made one for my dads Model 12 Trap, bowled out to his facial dimensions, in a deep black grained American Walnut trunk a friend of ours cured for just such cause, who built stocks and was my mentor for said project.
I built one for myself for a model 12 I own and I built it with a full Monte Carlo Rollover and right hand cast off so it fit just me. NEVER AGAIN!!!!!!!! no wonder I have corpol tunnel now!!!!!! LOL!!!! They are a piece of work to sit back and admire when you are finally done and can say "I" did that and no one else and there is not another one of its kind!!!! I did the checkering on them and went with 25 LPI and it is REALLY time consuming and eye straining.
Good looking work and you will really enjoy it as will your son!!!
Old 02-06-2011, 01:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Smile Thanks and congrats.

I'm sure those Model 12 stocks mean a lot to you.

After I did this work, I found Richards microfit on the net. $95 to have your wood machined and press fit inletted. Not a bad deal. I kinda miss Fajen and all their semi inlets that used to be available, but I guess there are other vendors out there that I need to find.
Old 02-06-2011, 05:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by JOE PA
I'm sure those Model 12 stocks mean a lot to you.

After I did this work, I found Richards microfit on the net. $95 to have your wood machined and press fit inletted. Not a bad deal. I kinda miss Fajen and all their semi inlets that used to be available, but I guess there are other vendors out there that I need to find.
Fajen and Reinhardt had some of the best almost drop in stocks on the market. Boyds makes some real nice stocks also.