Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
First time Mangum owner- Weatherby 300 >

First time Mangum owner- Weatherby 300

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

First time Mangum owner- Weatherby 300

Old 01-22-2011, 07:14 AM
Fork Horn

Default First time Mangum owner- Weatherby 300

Ok, just purchased my first magnum rifle. A Weatherby in 300 wby mag. Kind of excited about getting to know this rifle. I have a Rem 700 BDL 30-06 that has harvested many whitetails and served me very well. But since i've been elk hunting a couple times(harvested a 4x4 with it) I decided i would get something with a little more "kick" to it. I'm looking for a little general discussion about these rifles. It is actually a Vanguard model. Some may not consider this a "real" weatherby but from what i've been reading on a lot of forums and discussions it is a very good firearm. I'm wondering if anyone knows how I can determine about when it was manufactured?
Old 01-22-2011, 07:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by onebigelk
Ok, just purchased my first magnum rifle. A Weatherby in 300 wby mag. Kind of excited about getting to know this rifle. I have a Rem 700 BDL 30-06 that has harvested many whitetails and served me very well. But since i've been elk hunting a couple times(harvested a 4x4 with it) I decided i would get something with a little more "kick" to it. I'm looking for a little general discussion about these rifles. It is actually a Vanguard model. Some may not consider this a "real" weatherby but from what i've been reading on a lot of forums and discussions it is a very good firearm. I'm wondering if anyone knows how I can determine about when it was manufactured?
You for sure bought something with more kick! I have shot my 300-win mag and my friends 300-weatherby mag side by side, his 300-weatherby had way more felt recoil.
Nothing wrong with the Vangaurd Weatherby.
I have a Sako M-995 that is chambered in 340-Weatherby, this is my elk, mule deer and black bear rifle.

You will love how your 300-Weatherby preforms on game.
My 340-Weatherby seems to suck the life right out of elk, mule deer and black bear.

This will be your reaction at the range, after you pull the trigger for the first time.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:37 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks Ridge Runner, that may be something I might get, but $50.00 ouch!! not necessarily looking for lots of specific info about my rifle althogh it would be nice. Just kind of interested how old it is. Its is in very nice shape a beautiful gun with walnut and rose wood stock. It has a Simmons Whitetail Classic 6.5 - 20 x 50 scope on it. looks really clear. Was initially looking to buy a 300 wsm and put a Leupold scope on it but couldn't pass up this gun when I found it at a pawn shop for $340.00.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:42 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks Wolf Killer, yes I am bracing myself for the upcomming impact. I am trying to be realistic in my expectations of recoil. I think I'll be ok. I have already bought and installed a Limbsaver recoil pad because it made such a big difference in my accuracy on my 06. I also put one on my Mossberge 835 3.5" mag. I can shoot both of them all day long with no ill effects. I have 180 and 165 ammunition to try at the range hopefully this week.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:41 AM
Fork Horn

Just put a limbsaver (or similar) pad on it if it kicks too bad. Of course you'll never feel that recoil when shooting at an elk. The only downside on a .300 Weatherby is the cost of ammo. Unless you handload.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:29 AM
Fork Horn

Yea i was kind-of shocked when I started looking at ammo. Its not as readily available. Big marts don't carry. Found some online from $37 to $85. Bought some 165 gr. at the pawn shop I bought it at for $58 and some 180's online for $37 plus $12.50 s&H. Probably do most of my practicing with 165's or lower then fine tune with the 180's for elk hunting.
Old 01-22-2011, 04:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I usually shoot my 300 WBY no more that ten-twelve times in a range session. Quality practice v quantity. My L-691 Sako (pre-Beretta) shoots better than I can, thank goodness. I bought a lot of the WBY 180 gr SP ammo a few years back and it should last me for a long time.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:55 PM
Fork Horn

That will probably be my approach also. For now I have 2 boxes. I'm sure I will need more as summer approaches. I'm anxious to see how the trigger feels.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Vanguard in WBY .300 mag. Very good gun. Shoots 1" groups at 100 yds. Kick isn't too bad...just gotta deal with it. I don't like using recoil pads when hunting...they tend to hang up on clothing. I use them when at the range, but never in the field. I have had my best success with Hornady 180gr SP. Also shot a couple boxes of Remington 180gr Core-lokt's through it, but the Hornady seemed to have a better relationship with my barrel.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

There's nothing wrong with a Vanguard. I have the basic knockaround synthetic with a Vari-X II 3x9 Leupold that'll has always put three rounds into an inch or under ever since I've had it. But, it does like heavier bullets. I hunt elk with mine as well, I'd recommend you forego the 165s and stick with the 180s if you're not a reloader.

As a sidebar, I always advocate using the same ammunition on the range that you're going to use in the field.

I'm not that familiar with the Simmons line of optics, but seems most of the guys I know who've had them have wound up replacing them with more expensive glass. Where I'm at, elk season always takes place when the weather can really become an issue. The Vari-X II on mine has always done okay, but I'm not ruling out going to better glass down the road.

Recoil. Yup - you're in for something new compared to the .30-06. You won't notice it when you're hunting, though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.