Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
First time Mangum owner- Weatherby 300 >

First time Mangum owner- Weatherby 300

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

First time Mangum owner- Weatherby 300

Old 01-23-2011, 02:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by homers brother
There's nothing wrong with a Vanguard. I have the basic knockaround synthetic with a Vari-X II 3x9 Leupold that'll has always put three rounds into an inch or under ever since I've had it. But, it does like heavier bullets. I hunt elk with mine as well, I'd recommend you forego the 165s and stick with the 180s if you're not a reloader.

As a sidebar, I always advocate using the same ammunition on the range that you're going to use in the field.

I'm not that familiar with the Simmons line of optics, but seems most of the guys I know who've had them have wound up replacing them with more expensive glass. Where I'm at, elk season always takes place when the weather can really become an issue. The Vari-X II on mine has always done okay, but I'm not ruling out going to better glass down the road.

Recoil. Yup - you're in for something new compared to the .30-06. You won't notice it when you're hunting, though.

What Homer said X-2.
I also recommend looking up the cost of Weatherby ammo on Weatherby's web site. Weatherby did have a special sale price on 300-Weatherby mag ammo for $39.95 per box.
Old 01-24-2011, 06:11 AM
Typical Buck

i have a vanguard in 300wby a howa 1500 in 338 win,vanguard in 243 made in 78 and a S&W 1500 in 7mm all made by howa. good rifles. my dad has a 300 wby in a 700 classic. 300 wby is a good caliber.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

The 300 Wby is my every day hunting rifle. I have the synthetic Vanguard as well. Mine has a Leupold VariX-II scope on it.

The recoil is a good amount more than a 30-06, but won't be any more than a 3.5 inch 12 gauge shotgun shell. Probably similar to a slug gun.

I handload - and you will soon, too