Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Info about Cerakote or other weatherproofing products >

Info about Cerakote or other weatherproofing products

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Info about Cerakote or other weatherproofing products

Old 01-19-2011, 07:45 AM
Fork Horn

Default Info about Cerakote or other weatherproofing products

I have a Remington CDL that I'm wanting to weatherproof as much as absolutely possible.

For the receiver and barrel, I hear Cerakote does a great job of preventing rust from moisture.

My question is, if I have every piece of metal coated that can be, where am I still subject to rust?

I assume it would be hard/impossible to coat the inside of the receiver where the bolt goes.....or is there a way to protect even that area.

I know the inside of the barrel will just have to be cleaned and oiled.

Any info would be greatly appreciated. I'll be adding a McMillan Hunters Edge stock to this once the metal coating is done.

Thanks,

Schoolcraft
Old 01-19-2011, 07:57 AM
Fork Horn

Bolt handle, scope rings and mounts, swivel studs. I'm not sure what if anything can be done to the bolt itself or the chamber due to clearance issues.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:41 AM
Fork Horn

also, if anyone has any pictures of rifles they have had coated, please post them if you can
Old 01-19-2011, 01:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

My Ruger has GunKote over everything! Barrel, action, bolt, scope, bottom metal.

My Remmy has DuraCoat over just the barrel, action, bottom metal, and bolt handle/shroud.

My MRI is Teflon coated over everything also.

Can't tell much difference in protection between any of them. The GunKoat seems harder and more durable...