Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Aftermarket barrels?  Which one to pick??? >

Aftermarket barrels? Which one to pick???

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Aftermarket barrels? Which one to pick???

Old 01-13-2011, 05:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by keylargo
I tend to take people at their word. Since I have never even seen anyone on this board shoot. I would appreciate knowing who this smith is though. I am considering a new rifle and shooting mice at 500 yards would beat eating a box of girl scout cookies!
Actually those girl scout cookies might be the real thing.....as the smith that makes his guns to shoot 500 yards inti 1.5" groups don't exist.....some may claim it.....but talk is cheap.

Go to google and enter worlds benchrest records!!!!!
Old 01-14-2011, 01:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigbulls
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that if this smith's rifles didn't produce what he claimed they produced RR wouldn't use him or shoot his rifles.

X10 Personally I believe him If you don't ,Hey last time I checked this is a FREE country and everybody has the right to believe what they want .That being said I would not want the Ridge shooting at me at any distance from 1yard to 1500.JMHO
Old 01-14-2011, 04:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

RR
do you ever shoot in Fairview?
Old 01-14-2011, 07:27 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Vapodog
And does anyone actually believe this?
it's .30 moa @ 100yds, i've found several gunsmith's that state their guns will do .25 or less. If a guy has full custom rifle and posts a .100 group @ 100yds i'm not shocked. If a Guy says his 40yr old 30-30 can do it then i'm calling shenanigans. If you ever watched the Outdoor Channel show Gun Nuts, they tested a Savage LRH and TC Warlord and both shot groups that was were well under .5 moa.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:29 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner

RR
Really nice rig you got there! Is that a sightron scope?
Old 01-14-2011, 07:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by stapher1
it's .30 moa @ 100yds, i've found several gunsmith's that state their guns will do .25 or less. If a guy has full custom rifle and posts a .100 group @ 100yds i'm not shocked. If a Guy says his 40yr old 30-30 can do it then i'm calling shenanigans. If you ever watched the Outdoor Channel show Gun Nuts, they tested a Savage LRH and TC Warlord and both shot groups that was were well under .5 moa.
.... Absolutely. I own a self-stocked and bedded .243 Ackley Imp. with trued action, lapped lugs and a Lilja barrel that has done sub-.250" @ 100 yds. many times. Five shot groups.Those guns are out there, and those who scoff are unaware...
Old 01-14-2011, 09:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think there are lots of .25 moa rifles out there or are waiting to be custom ordered. I know of several. The issue is there aren't many 1.5" at 500 yard shooters, even with .25moa guns.

Lots on the internet though.

Tom
Old 01-14-2011, 09:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by statjunk
I think there are lots of .25 moa rifles out there or are waiting to be custom ordered. I know of several. The issue is there aren't many 1.5" at 500 yard shooters, even with .25moa guns.

Lots on the internet though.

Tom
Yep. Just look at some results from 1,000 yard benchrest matches. Occasionally there is a spectacular group, but most guys usually do not shoot .5 moa (or even 1 - 1.5 moa) groups. Check out the results from your state's IBS matches, or better yet go to one.
It would be fun to see some of the internet shooters enter the Light gun matches with their "one hole group" hunting rifles.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:34 AM
Super Moderator

I know a lot of guys make junk up on the Web, but I don't think RR is one of them. He certainly doesn't need anyone here sto stand up for him either, his results speak for themselves. But, I will say this much. I've read alot of his posts from both here and Longrangehunting.com forums. I've also e-mailed him with a lot of questions. RR knows his stuff, and I've yet to find contradiction in his posts. If he was lying, all these stories wouldn't match up over the years, would they?

That being said, I don't have anything to actually contribute to this thread since I'm a poor college kid and can't afford this custom stuff just yet. I just enjoy reading about it, so ya'll have a great day!
-Jake
Old 01-14-2011, 01:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

...... If anyone wants to sit down with me on the bench, I'll be more than happy to oblige you. Just bring your wallet along with your mouth. 100 yds. is what was specified in the post I replied to... go back and read it.

Last edited by Pawildman; 01-14-2011 at 06:09 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.