Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
ruger barrel issues ?????? >

ruger barrel issues ??????

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

ruger barrel issues ??????

Old 01-17-2011, 08:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

What could possibly be wrong with this ring design? Other then they charge too much for new ones.
Read my last post.

Because they very rarely sit square to the rifle, they are full of sharp edges and burrs, the finish is sloppy, the T10 screws are far to easy to strip the torx slots, and if you opt for Leupold rings instead of Ruger rings the Leupolds almost always sit off center of the bore.
I will also add that many times the internal diameter of Ruger rings is under sized which will scar the finish on the scope if not lapped first.

I have a M77 Mk II all-weather .300 Win Mag (skeleton stock) that I have had for 15 or more years and have NEVER had to adjust the (Nikon Monarch) scope once over all those years (check it every year before hunting).
Once you lock down any mounting system you shouldn't need to adjust the scope. Even if the mounts are not square they will stay in place for no other reason than the scope creates a single piece between the rings and scope. They can't move unless you move them.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
Back around 99-00 I bought a .30-06 Ruger 77 that was like new, but had been returned to the shop because it had accuracy issues. The shop owner was a close personal friend, and I spent a lot of time hanging out at the shop, and did some of the gunsmithing service for them. The guy returning the rifle was a novice shooter and had returned 3 scopes before finally returning the rifle, so we assumed it was user error, but I did a bit of test firing to confirm. The rifle was all over the place, 6" groups or worse at 100yrds with 3 different brands of ammo. I contacted Ruger and they gladly offered to repair, or if necessary, replace the rifle. Later as I was cleaning the rifle prior to mailing it, I decided to slug the bore... 0.310". I again contacted Ruger to point them in the right direction, and mailed the rifle in.

Upon receiving the rifle, Ruger contacted me (on be half of the gunshop) and knowing the entire story, they agreed to rebarrel the rifle AND replace the rifle for the gun-shop.

So basically, yes, Ruger DID put out an over-bored rifle. But YES, their dedication to customer service was so great that I ended up with a free rifle out of the deal.

Back in about 2005, I also had a Ruger Mark I pistol rebarreled for free once when a friend of mine bulged the barrel by dropping the pistol, then firing it without noticing the mud lodged in the bore. At the same time, they mailed me 6 FULL sets of springs for my revolvers, FOR FREE when I tried to order them. While I had them on the phone about the .22 pistol, I tried to BUY an extra set of springs for ONE revolver so I could cut a few springs off to lighten the trigger, one thing leads to another, and they asked how many revolvers I had and said they'd mail me a spring kit for each of them. FOR FREE...

Again, great customer service for the pistol rebarrel job, and then a surprising GIFT of the spring kits.

Then 2-3yrs ago, right before my fiancee and I got together, I bought a used Mini-14 at a gunshow, took it home, and it couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. It also had some feeding issues. So I contacted Ruger. 6wks later when I got my rifle back, it was shooting 1" groups off a bi-pod and would reliably swallow anything I fed it. The rifle was second hand(or more) , and they still honored their warrantee.

So I'm not going to be one to say that it DOESN'T happen that Ruger puts out a lemon every now and then, EVERYBODY does, but I'd never believe that Ruger wouldn't rectify the situation.
I've dealt with Rugers customer service a couple of times and it's been more than great every time. Not only have they always fixed stuff for me for free even out of warranty, but they have also paid shipping both ways as well as had a timely repair. What other companies do that?

In general I like Rugers products as they seem pretty good for great prices, but a lot of time I can find something I like a tad more from someone else. Just the feel or design (usually at a higher price though), but the one thing I can't find better is the customer service. That's what will keep me as a Ruger customer.