Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
ruger barrel issues ?????? >

ruger barrel issues ??????

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

ruger barrel issues ??????

Old 01-12-2011, 04:46 PM
Fork Horn

Why would I stop telling the truth about what they did? It's not like it all happened in a day. They had about a month to make it right with me or atleast get the ball rolling on getting it right. They refused and the gunshop stepped in about 2 weeks before rifle season opened. The gunshop didn't have to but they did what Ruger wouldn't. So the gunshop still gets my business and Ruger does not!
Old 01-12-2011, 07:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

I don't know about Jacobs story and won't comment on it but he is correct in that Ruger does not have a warranty of any kind. They certainly don't offer any kind of accuracy guarantee.

I am not a Ruger fan but they do make an incredibly rugged rifle. Supposedly the new barrels on the Mini 14's are much more accurate than they use to be.

Thanks guys,everything I've heard from multible Ruger owners, like Fritz has been 100% possitive.I like the idea of the intergrated scope dovetail built into the reciever.I"m also looking @ the Win. model 70,very nice rifle also!
I think their ring mounting system is one of the absolute worst systems on any rifle and the rings themselves are absolutely horrid.

Personally I would much much rather have a new FN made model 70 than a half dozen Rugers. The safety actually separates the firing pin from the trigger instead of just blocking trigger movement, the receivers are forged instead of cast, the breech is coned for more reliable feeding, the trigger is better than the LC6 trigger, etc...
Old 01-13-2011, 05:00 AM
Typical Buck

Thank you for using the Ruger On-Line Customer Support Request Form.

This e-mail is in response to your question or comment of 12/31/2010
Request No: 80649

Comment / question:

I have a serious question. I have owned and used Ruger No.1's for an entire lifetime.

My question is several people have claimed to contact you guys about the accuracy of the Ruger NO.1. The reply back from your company was that it was standard to only have 1 1/2" group at 50yds. Is this a correct statement?

The reason behind the question is. To build a rifle of that quality and for the cost of the rifle to say it only shoots 1 1/2" groups at 50yds is like shooting yourself in the foot.

Response:
We give the maximum acceptable accuracy standard.
Most guns will do a lot better than those figures.
Thank you for your interest in Ruger Firearms.

If you need further information, please visit our website at www.ruger.com or contact us at:

Revolvers, shotguns, rifles, 10/22 Charger Pistol: (603) 865-2442
Pistols: (928) 778-6555
Serial Number History Information: (603) 865-2424

Please note: This e-mail is sent from a notification-only address that cannot accept incoming e-mail. Please do not reply to this message.

Sincerely,
Ruger Firearms

I have shot an old Mini 14 that was a POS. But I've never had another issue with any ruger I've owned or shot. But I'd have to agree they better step up the standards or they will get lost in the wash of other company's upgrading and giving customers a good functional firearm to use. But Ruger is not the only one that has failed to impress. I've shot a Springfield 1911 that I had to look down three times to see if the safety was on. And the same thing about the Springfield M1A the trigger was total crap. And these are expensive guns out of the box. Had a T/C Hawkens the stock cracked from firing it 20 something times. I believe in you get what you pay for but if a $350.00 Savage 110 from walmart can out shoot most $1000.00 rifles your buying at your gun shop then I think quality control is slipping. Like I said I haven't had a Ruger problem yet but the reply back has me very disturb. VERY!!!!
Old 01-13-2011, 08:00 AM
Site Bouncer

I can't speak about Ruger rifles and their quality as I don't own one....(I can't believe I don't own at least one Ruger rifle!). What I can comment about is their customer service. For me, they have been nothing but top notch! I recently purchased a Stainless Steel Ruger Super Blackhawk from my buddy who had to send it back to Ruger because while he was sighting it in the front sight flew off the gun!!

We never found the sight and he had purchased this gun used from another private party....he was NOT the original owner and God only knows how may owned it before the guy he bought it from as the gun was made in 2002.

What did Ruger do?? Well they sent him a pre-paid box to send the gun back in, they installed a BRAND NEW BARREL, not the sight, the entire barrel! They put on new grip panels, (one had a chip in it) and completely went through the gun to make sure it was mechanically safe. They re-test fired it and sent it back to my buddy with a new booklet, lock, spent casing and all at no cost to him....none....for a used gun that he wasn't even the original owner of....

I own it now and it locks up way tighter than it did before he sent it in so it must have at least a new cylinder latch as well as having a brand new barrel.

That's customer service and that's why I own over 20 Ruger pistols and revolvers!

Last edited by BigJ71; 01-13-2011 at 08:04 AM.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigbulls

I think their ring mounting system is one of the absolute worst systems on any rifle and the rings themselves are absolutely horrid.
Why??Looked like a well constructed system to me.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by jerry d
Why??Looked like a well constructed system to me.
Because they very rarely sit square to the rifle, they are full of sharp edges and burrs, the finish is sloppy, the T10 screws are far to easy to strip the torx slots, and if you opt for Leupold rings instead of Ruger rings the Leupolds almost always sit off center of the bore.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:02 PM
Spike

All my rugers shoot very nice groups. I did have a problem with the barrel on my SR9. I sent it in and had it back in less than 2 weeks. Pistol shoots very nice now. I was very happy with the customer service they gave me.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:04 PM
Fork Horn

i wonder if ruger still uses douglas barrels for their no.1 rifles. the older ruger no.1 rifles are legendary around my end of the woods but the newer ones are only so so. i heard ruger got their hammer mills from steyr which would make sence since steyr has made hammer mills for several other companies.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Back around 99-00 I bought a .30-06 Ruger 77 that was like new, but had been returned to the shop because it had accuracy issues. The shop owner was a close personal friend, and I spent a lot of time hanging out at the shop, and did some of the gunsmithing service for them. The guy returning the rifle was a novice shooter and had returned 3 scopes before finally returning the rifle, so we assumed it was user error, but I did a bit of test firing to confirm. The rifle was all over the place, 6" groups or worse at 100yrds with 3 different brands of ammo. I contacted Ruger and they gladly offered to repair, or if necessary, replace the rifle. Later as I was cleaning the rifle prior to mailing it, I decided to slug the bore... 0.310". I again contacted Ruger to point them in the right direction, and mailed the rifle in.

Upon receiving the rifle, Ruger contacted me (on be half of the gunshop) and knowing the entire story, they agreed to rebarrel the rifle AND replace the rifle for the gun-shop.

So basically, yes, Ruger DID put out an over-bored rifle. But YES, their dedication to customer service was so great that I ended up with a free rifle out of the deal.

Back in about 2005, I also had a Ruger Mark I pistol rebarreled for free once when a friend of mine bulged the barrel by dropping the pistol, then firing it without noticing the mud lodged in the bore. At the same time, they mailed me 6 FULL sets of springs for my revolvers, FOR FREE when I tried to order them. While I had them on the phone about the .22 pistol, I tried to BUY an extra set of springs for ONE revolver so I could cut a few springs off to lighten the trigger, one thing leads to another, and they asked how many revolvers I had and said they'd mail me a spring kit for each of them. FOR FREE...

Again, great customer service for the pistol rebarrel job, and then a surprising GIFT of the spring kits.

Then 2-3yrs ago, right before my fiancee and I got together, I bought a used Mini-14 at a gunshow, took it home, and it couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. It also had some feeding issues. So I contacted Ruger. 6wks later when I got my rifle back, it was shooting 1" groups off a bi-pod and would reliably swallow anything I fed it. The rifle was second hand(or more) , and they still honored their warrantee.

So I'm not going to be one to say that it DOESN'T happen that Ruger puts out a lemon every now and then, EVERYBODY does, but I'd never believe that Ruger wouldn't rectify the situation.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:33 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bigbulls

I have never heard this before. I can't imagine a BETTER system! I have a M77 Mk II all-weather .300 Win Mag (skeleton stock) that I have had for 15 or more years and have NEVER had to adjust the (Nikon Monarch) scope once over all those years (check it every year before hunting). It's also a tackhammer and will put any ammo I buy into a 3/4" circle at 100 yards. Anything. What could possibly be wrong with this ring design? Other then they charge too much for new ones.

I'm not a gung-ho fan of any brand rifle. If it does the job I'm happy. I had a beautiful, little Browning A-Bolt Micro-Medallion in 7mm-08 that wouldn't shoot into 2" at 100 yards. I handloaded at that time (and had for years) and was quite proficient at it, usually always being able to shrink a group under an inch at 100 but not this rifle. I tried every powder, bullet and combination known to man to get that gun to shoot but it just wouldn't. I sold it and bought the Ruger above. After seeing how it grouped I also sold all my reloading equipment and I had a really top notch setup.

Last edited by warbirdlover; 01-17-2011 at 07:39 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.