HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Hi-point firearm ? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/337694-hi-point-firearm.html)

squeakbuck 01-05-2011 04:57 AM

Hi-point firearm ?

Does anyone owne a pistol made by Hi Piont fire arms ? Are they a good pistol for the price ?

Backwoods7 01-05-2011 05:01 AM

Well I've herd they are accurate but there also poorly made and unsafe. My dads a cop and he says if a hipoint is droped he's seen em shatter and he said he's seen em go off by being dropped. I wouldn't trust my life to a 170 dollar gun. Save some money anfmd getta better quality gun.

squeakbuck 01-05-2011 05:11 AM

I was thinking the same thing. They do have a lifetime warranty. I do not like the idea of having a un-safe gun.

okgobbler 01-05-2011 07:17 AM

I've got a 995 carbine and my neighbor has the 9mm pistol. They a are ugly, heavy, chunky, and cheap. And they have fired everytime I have pulled the trigger with whatever ammo I put in it.

They have their place in the market. Trunk gun, barn gun, 4wheeler, backback. Not the end of the world if it gets dirty, rusty, lost, or stolen. And they are functional with a lifetime warranty. I paid $160ish for my 995 used with 3 mags and a double mag pouch on the stock. The only thing close in that price range for a semi-auto plinker is a used 10-22 or a beater yugo sks. I've had more ftf and fte with those than with the hi-point.

On the other hand, hp's wouldn't by 1st choice for a hd or carry gun, mainly because of the weight and thickness.

A Hi-Point in hand is going to be more useful than a Sig in the store.

Backwoods7 01-05-2011 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by okgobbler (Post 3753095)
I've got a 995 carbine and my neighbor has the 9mm pistol. They a are ugly, heavy, chunky, and cheap. And they have fired everytime I have pulled the trigger with whatever ammo I put in it.

They have their place in the market. Trunk gun, barn gun, 4wheeler, backback. Not the end of the world if it gets dirty, rusty, lost, or stolen. And they are functional with a lifetime warranty. I paid $160ish for my 995 used with 3 mags and a double mag pouch on the stock. The only thing close in that price range for a semi-auto plinker is a used 10-22 or a beater yugo sks. I've had more ftf and fte with those than with the hi-point.

A Hi-Point in hand is going to be more useful than a Sig in the store.

Thats true it beats nothing but For a hundred more dollars you could buy a used 38 revolver and be better off and have a safer gun when it comes to protecting my life I don't want the cheapest gun out there to have to depend on.

stalkingbear 01-05-2011 08:52 AM

My wife brought 1 in for me not too long ago (about a year ago). It's the 9mm pistol. True it does go bang every time with good hard ball ammo but I'm not impressed with it. If I had a choice I wouldn't even keep it but it was a gift from the wife and she meant well. It sits in my gun safe now.

Bocajnala 01-05-2011 02:22 PM

I have a 9mm carbine made by Hipoint. I helped a friend move from New York to Ohio, and he gave me the carbine in trade. I wasn't expecting any pay at all, so I guess getting the Carbine was a good surprise.
It has never jammed on me, and it is actually decently accurate at 100 yards. I've taken two coyote with it in the four years I've had it. It sits in my garage, and both times the yotes crossed a field across from my garage and I shot them. SO... ya, it can have its uses. It's ugly, bukly and heavy. But, it does have a lifetime warranty, and it is fun to plink around with sometimes.
-Jake

Pro-Line 01-05-2011 02:48 PM

Almost every person that bashes them never held one. Go ahead...rip me. LOL

They're heavy, clunky and ugly....as said before. But, they are also pretty solidly made. They are actually made very close to where I live, and I had the son of the owner in school. It used to be Stallard Arms, but changed a while back.

They are by no means a "high-quality" weapon...but neither are many that are sold by Remington. But, until I hear/see a first hand account of one not doing what they claim...I'll assume that they are reliable. And I've been around them A LOT.

Personally, I currently have no use for one. I've owned several...and put thousands of rounds through them, but with my kids now getting big enough to get into things, I have no self-defense handgun...and if I did, it probably wouldn't be a Hi-Point.

hometheaterman 01-05-2011 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Pro-Line (Post 3753279)
Almost every person that bashes them never held one. Go ahead...rip me. LOL

They're heavy, clunky and ugly....as said before. But, they are also pretty solidly made.

+1. Most guys who have actually owned one will tell you they are actually decent, just heavy, ugly, etc.

Nomercy448 01-07-2011 10:35 AM

Two of my best high school buddies went to college together to become LEO's, while I went to another college. They called me freshman year and said they had bought a pair of pistols, a .380auto for $90 and a 9mm for $110, and they had picked up a 9mm carbine for me (because they knew how much I liked my Kel-Tec .40S&W carbine) for only $120. They didn't tell me what brand they were until we hooked up that hunting season, and I was surprised and disappointed that they had bought the Hi-points, but in the end, they turned out to be at least worth owning.

Like the other guys have mentioned, they're big and ugly, and they're NOT good for CCW, but they have a purpose. High volume plinking on a budget. The only thing I didn't like about them for general shooting was that they're poorly balanced, but those 2 guys still have their High Point pistols in the safe at home, and to my knowledge, have never had any issue. They bought them so they could practice shooting for their future qualifications, but they couldn't afford the 1911's and glocks I was shooting.

In the hand, they felt more like a really poorly made Ruger P-series, there was a lot of slack in the slide, and the triggers were terrible, but they shot surprisingly accurately. For a cheap gun to take to the range and abuse, it's hard to beat for that price.

The Carbine I had was a blast to shoot. It was big and ugly, and obviously cheaply designed, but it went BANG every time I pulled the trigger. It was a little less manueverable and a little less accurate than the Kel-Tec model, and I prefered that the Kel-Tec accepted Glock Magazines (more readily available than Hi-Point Mags).

The thing I liked about those guns was that for $90, who cares what happens to it? We shot the guts out of those guns, sometimes 1,000 rounds a week for months at a time, and they just kept going BANG.

I wouldn't recommend them, but if it's really all you can afford, then you could do worse.