Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Wife bought me a Glock 21! Backup deer gun? >

Wife bought me a Glock 21! Backup deer gun?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Wife bought me a Glock 21! Backup deer gun?

Old 07-22-2003, 12:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Wife bought me a Glock 21! Backup deer gun?

Bless my wife' s heart, she surprized me today with a Glock 21 for my birthday! And not just any Glock 21, but the American Heroes Commemorative Edition Glock 21, with the Crest ot the NYPD and FDNY and " American Heroes - 9/11/2001" laser etched in the slide, which I' ve had my eye on for 6 months. Mine is #664 out of only 1000 made.

Anyway, I' ve been wanting another .45 for a while, and since Iowa has made pistols legal for deer, I' ve bee thinking of taking the Glock out deer hunting this year as a backup to my muzzleloader. Actually, the intent would be to use the pistol only if the perfect close-up shot presented itself. My question is, how effective would a .45ACP be at no more than 25 yards shooting CorBon +P hollow points on deer if shot in the vitals?

Anyway, I got to get to the range. The Glock is just begging me to put a couple boxes of ammo through her!

Thanks,

Mike
Old 07-22-2003, 12:50 PM

Default RE: Wife bought me a Glock 21! Backup deer gun?

i don' t know anything about pistols really, but you have a great wife. Just wait till x-mas rolls around. i would have a wishlist started already
Old 07-22-2003, 01:47 PM

Your 45 will work fine at 25 yards with a good hollow point bullet!
Old 07-22-2003, 06:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Congrats Drift on a great pistol and even a greater wife. I have just bought a glock 21 also, I plan on carrying it deer hunting too, just for that special close-in shot on a slick head.
Old 07-22-2003, 08:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Shot a couple boxes through it today and I was surprised at how accurate it was. I will say that I need a lot more practice before I' ll feel confident enough to attempt a shot on an animal. The deer deserves at least that much. I haven' t done any serious pistol shooting since the Corps, so I' m definately a bit rusty. But I' ve got until January to re-hone my skills. Does anyone know if there is an NRA pistol coach in the eastern Iowa area, or know where I might find out?

I definately love the Glock 21. Of all the pistols I' ve had the pleasure of shooting, it is definately the one that fits me the best. I would say that it' s not a pistol for those with small hands, but it fits my large hands perfectly. I think I' m going to have a 3.5# trigger installed. The stock trigger is great for a " double action" trigger, but the 3.5# trigger would be much better, and for only $25 it' s a cheap but valuable upgrade.

As for ammo for deer, I was thinking about using CorBon 185gr+P JHP (this is also what I keep it loaded with for home defense), but any other suggestions on ammo selection would be welcome.

Mike

Old 07-22-2003, 08:59 PM

Your wife bought you a fine pistol; however, be VERY careful in using hot rodded ammo in any Glock .45 Caliber. Glock' s have partially unsupported chambers in .45 ACP. If you want to see what I mean, field strip your pistol and place a shell casing in the barrel. Notice how much of the bottom of the case is NOT supported by the chamber? This facilitates good feeding in the Glock, but it has also contributed to a large number of Kabooms in .45 caliber Glocks when people are using high pressured loads.

This is of no worry whatsoever with standard pressure factory loads. However, in both of my .45 Glocks (21 and 30); cases bulge excessively, to the point of separating when shooting +P loads.
Old 07-22-2003, 09:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Does the bulging happen even with factory +P loads using new brass?

I' ve heard that caution should be used reloading for the Glock 20 and 21. Particularly that one should examine and discard any bulged cases and that reloads using previously fired brass should be loaded to standard pressures only.

Mike

Old 07-22-2003, 09:34 PM

Yes. These are factory loaded rounds where the bulging occurs.

When I reload for my Glock .45 pistols, I stick with standard pressure loadings. I use 6g of Unique with 230g FMJ bullets. Accuracy is exceptional and cases last forever.
Old 07-22-2003, 09:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hmm, then that' s definately something to take into consideration. I wonder then if in a standard loading a 230gr JHP would be better for improved penetration?

Mike
Old 07-23-2003, 12:47 PM

You also want to make sure that a hollow point will give you enough penetration. Off hand I don' t know the specs but I do have a buddy who hunts with a .44 mag and he uses solid cast bullets for the penetration. He contends that the .44 makes a big enough hole and the cast bullet gives plenty of penetration. I' ve had some of my factory .357 hollow points bounce off of plywood before even out of my rifle. But .38' s in a cast bullet went right through even out of the revolver.

Quick Reply: Wife bought me a Glock 21! Backup deer gun?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.