Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

[Deleted]

Old 07-24-2003, 01:19 PM

Default RE: SLUG GUNS

Now, now, fellas.

I went with the Mossberg 695 Bolt -- here' s why.

1) I decided I love deer hunting enough that I could rationalize a gun dedicated to deer. 2) Changing barrels on most pumps means realigning the sights (scopes or otherwise) but the scope on the Mossberg fixes to the barrel. 3) A rifled barrel for my Ithaca would cost more than the entire Mossberg. The Mossberg was $185 at Dicks. 4) In all the reviews it was AS accurate as the Marlin and Savage. Mine likes Winchester Gold (Partitian?) Supreme and groups nicely. 5) If I did have piles of money laying around and I got a fancy-schmancy slug gun with a pretty stock I' d be afraid to crawl in the muck and snow, afraid to use the gun to push back heavy brush, afraid to actually use it for hunting. 6) The Mossberg is one butt-ugly gun (though the ported barrel looks pretty cool). I always worry about guys who hunt with pretty guns. A gun, especially a hunting gun, is a tool. I don' t care if my saws-all is pretty. 7) Heavy barrel so it shoots the new high velocity slugs, but it' s not the 20lb. boat anchor H&R/NEF are selling. 8) If I recall correctly, the Marlin did not eat certain shells w/o jamming. 3 inch, maybe. 9) My wife said I could.

Yes, I know the Mossberg is not a Purdy, but I' m guessing it will last the rest of my life. It gets shot 2 or 3 times a year, not counting sighting it in. Oh, I suppose if money were no issue I might buy something else, but money is an issue in my house. Shoot, if money were no issue I wouldn' t hunt around here with a shotgun, I' d have a 2000 acre spread in the ADK mts, I' d manage a huge herd and I' d hunt with my Savage 99 in .308 (got it used for free). :-)

rhetoric
Old 07-24-2003, 03:53 PM
Typical Buck

JKT
I do know what I' m talking about, if you don' t want to beleive me that' s fine. I don' t really know what' s so hard to beleive, it all makes sense.
Old 07-24-2003, 07:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sure it makes sense. It makes sense that you are not able to compete with the prices Wal Mart can offer because of the sheer volume discount they get so you get jealous and spread manure about second rate firearms. Its all baloney.
Old 07-26-2003, 04:29 PM
Typical Buck

" attention wal mart shoppers, we have a sale on cheap, second rate guns in our sporting goods store and frizzellr is here to help you with any questions you may have."
man I don' t need to compete with wally, they don' t sell any high dollar guns anyway. try going there and asking for a benelli, sako, browning, etc. see what kind of zit infested look you get on the kid' s faces working there. that is if you can find someone that can help you.
Old 07-26-2003, 06:56 PM
Fork Horn

I bought the mossberg 695 and I am very happy with it. Mine shoots the lightfield slugs the best.
Old 07-27-2003, 09:35 PM

LoL, I have shot jsut about every slug gun know to man in the past 6 years! i shoot the h&r 980 with a factory done trigger job! it out shoots my tarhunt! good friend has an a-bolt nice gun! his kid has a savage 210 not bad either, had a marlin lousy trigger and lousy scope mounting system! 870 not bad had the barrel pinned and a hastings trigger group put in! made it beeter but still not good enough! 1187/1100 nice but still an auto! mossberg 835 3.5 awesome flat and a hard hitter! very accurate! i just bought a used H&R and had it reamed out to 3.5 chamber! the only other gun i would use would be the ithaca deerslayer III it is a awesome shooter we have grops at 200yds most cant shoot at 100! the H&R is just as good at that distance! almost! it depends on the ammo how you store your slugs and if they are the same lot number! and how you zero it in ! and you only need one shot! not 5!
Old 07-28-2003, 12:05 AM
Fork Horn

they don' t sell any high dollar guns anyway. try going there and asking for a benelli, sako, browning, etc.
if i remember right my local wally world sells a browing a bolt in 300wsm.several wetherby o\u and other over priced firearms.
Old 07-28-2003, 06:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

So deputy, WHat would you recommend for someone buying a slug gun? I am not interested in changing barrels at all I want a slug gun only.

My choices are either the H&R ultra slug hunter and Mossberg 695.

I usually only hunt out of stands not driving or occasionally still hunt. BUt 98% of the time is stand hunting. So the weight of the H&R is no bother to me for how infrequently I would still hunt.

Do you have another suggestion for me?

Thanks

Brian
Old 07-28-2003, 08:01 AM

i would go with the H&R using lightfield slugs! now before everbody jumps in with the try all types of slugs before ! i know this but the H&R was devloped around the lightfield slugs! i have had great results with both 2.75 and 3 inch lightfields in the 4 we have tried depending on where your hunting takes you i use a 2.5 x10 4200 elite scope from bausch&lomb in rtn to zero mounts from al talbot and also use a aimpoint for the heavy stuff! in another set of rings! if yo udont like the trigger and they can get it to you in time for the season they will re do the trigger for you to a nice 4 pounds very clean break on it ! good luck and go get them! alo i took a sidesaddle carrier and screwed to my stock to hold extra rounds
Old 07-31-2003, 07:08 AM

Big Jake,

Save yourself headaches and money and get the Benelli Nova. They are smooth, very well built, durable and in camo run about $400. I have a Remington, Browning, Mossberg and a Benelli. The Benelli has far exceeded the others.

Mathewsconquest

Quick Reply: [Deleted]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.