HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Which one in 6.5x55? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/337187-one-6-5x55.html)

thumper15 12-28-2010 10:52 AM

Which one in 6.5x55?

I have been looking at this round quite a bit lately and think I would have alot of fun using it on deer here in Missouri. I originally was thinking 30-06 but reading articles on the swede has peaked my interest in choosing it over the 06 just to see how it'll do. Now looking at rifles there isn't alot that's chambered for the swede, but the CZ 550 and the Tikka T3 have features I like. The CZ is a mauser style action, set trigger and can get either a FS or American wood stocks. The Tikka has a wood stock as well, most say they have decent triggers, and a 70 degree bolt turn. So, if you had to choose between a CZ in either a FS or american stock, or a Tikka T3 hunter which would you choose, and why?

Pygmy 12-28-2010 02:12 PM

Both are high quality and very accurate firearms..

I do not have a Tikka , but I do have a CZ 550... In my opinion, it is a VERY good value..

I know a number of people who own CZ rifles, and nearly all of them are tackdrivers...

I love the single set trigger on the CZ...It is easily adjustable in both the single set or the standard mode...

I would be hard pressed to imagine a BETTER deer rifle than a CZ 550 in 6.5x55 ....

jerry d 12-28-2010 03:34 PM

Chuck Hawks wrote a few articles on 6.5x55 swede. He really liked that caliber,just saying incase you wanted to read about it. Just google his name.

rjhans53 12-28-2010 04:33 PM

I've HAD 3 tikka's. Very accurate guns, don't care for them. I would go with the CZ and never look back.

8mm/06 12-28-2010 04:44 PM

Thumper 15,

I have a serious love affair with this round, and own 6 Swedish rifles in 6.5 X 55. All my Swede's are real Swede's, either fully military 96's or 38's or sporterized 38's. They are Carl Gustav's or Husqvarna's although I do have one Oberndorf in the lot.

I don't think you would be dissapointed with either the CZ or the Tikka, but I personally would lean toward the CZ, as I also have a serious love affair with the Mauser action.

Great round, and under-appreciated for it's ability to shoot bullets of 77 grains up to 160 grains with aplomb with generally great accuracy from the 120 grainers to the 160's.

Jeff Ovington 12-28-2010 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by 8mm/06 (Post 3748881)
Thumper 15,

I have a serious love affair with this round, and own 6 Swedish rifles in 6.5 X 55. All my Swede's are real Swede's, either fully military 96's or 38's or sporterized 38's. They are Carl Gustav's or Husqvarna's although I do have one Oberndorf in the lot.

I don't think you would be dissapointed with either the CZ or the Tikka, but I personally would lean toward the CZ, as I also have a serious love affair with the Mauser action.

Great round, and under-appreciated for it's ability to shoot bullets of 77 grains up to 160 grains with aplomb with generally great accuracy from the 120 grainers to the 160's.

I personaly live Husqvarna's and love the Mauser action as well. One can't beat the quality of steel in these rifles. Swedes do mine the best iron ore in the world.Personally I find a used Husky in excellent condition, but I suggest you opt for the CZ as well since it's not on your list.

thumper15 12-28-2010 05:44 PM

Seems the CZ carries alot of favor. I have read the huck Hawks article among others and a friend of mine loves the round. What I'm looking at is a european style rifle along with the swede. Kinda like if I had an 30-06 it'd be a M70 featherweight. Just goes together. I don't know much about the tikka's but have read about half and half good and bad. I like the looks of the 550 FS but not sure that's completely what I would want. I have thought about a true mauser type action with the butterfly safety and double triggers but that won't be cheap. The one rifle I found that is somewhat like what I'm looking for is the Zastava M98 not the ones remington imported. Only problem is I haven't found anyone that has them lol.

jerry d 12-28-2010 09:03 PM

I dont understamd why this round isnt more popular. It doesnt seem like any of the 6.5mm rounds including the 260rem ever caught on.

thumper15 12-29-2010 11:41 AM

I don't know why the round isn't that popular. But since it's a european caliber and it's a small bullet I think has alot to do with it. We americans are stuck on the whole it's got to be bigger and faster mentality, case in point jacked up 4x4 diesel trucks that are driven only in town, makes no sense. Looks cool and that's about it. Same with rifle cartridges just cause it's bigger and faster doesn't mean it'll kill an animal more efficiently. I've shot a 7mm Rem mag exclusively for 20 yrs. it has killed deer and never failed to. However, I don't think that it would kill a deer any better than any other caliber if placed in the vitals. That's why I'm looking to retire my Abolt, nothing wrong with it just kinda want to take a step back and have some fun with something new. I think the swede will be just fine.

jerry d 12-29-2010 11:57 AM

Thumper,Chuck Hawks did a product review on the CZ 500 in 6.5x55 and he did it the Winchester model 70 in 6.5x55{no longer availible}but if you looked arond you might find it.Anyway they both got a good write up. If you want I will try to post the articles