Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
The best deer rifle >

The best deer rifle

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

The best deer rifle

Old 12-18-2010, 02:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

All depends on where I'm hunting. Could be a .45-70, a .35 Rem or a .300 H&H. I do prefer the less common chamberings though.
Old 12-18-2010, 05:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

I use a .243 for smaller deer and a 7MM RM for large deer.

I use my Marlin 336C levergun with iron sights in .35 Remington, if hunting in tight cover.
Old 12-19-2010, 03:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Cerdull
People dnt understand y I like the 7 mag they think I am to small for the kick lol well to make it worse it's 6.8 lbs lol and I'm 15 they dnt get that either but it was the first gun I ever shot
If you can shoot it well and put the bullet where it belongs then you have the best deer rifle for you.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:13 AM
Spike

After trying all sorts of rifles and calibers for the last 8 years I have finally settled on two for my deer hunting while the others stay if the safe. The first is my Marlin 336 BL in 30-30 with a leupold VX-3 1.5-5x20mm scope and Hornady LeverEvolution ammo for hunting in the woods and on drives. The other is my Remington 700 SPS in 270 with a B&C Medalist stock, Leupold VX-3 3.5-10x40mm and Federal 130gr Ballistic tip ammo which I use while hunting over the fields.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:28 AM
Typical Buck

You asked which rifle people like but then named the caliber you like. So I will name both. I have a Browning BAR 30-06 that I absolutely love. Can it drive tacks? No, but that is what I have thumbs for. Seriously though, it is a hunting gun so I don't worry about sub-MOA or even MOA groups. It with a 165 gr Nosler Partition bullet has dropped almost every deer I have shot with it in their tracks. The few that have run have not gone out of sight. Me and Mr. BAR have a deal, I point him at game and he knocks them down.