Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
New to Hunting..Which hunting rifle is top quality for around $600. >

New to Hunting..Which hunting rifle is top quality for around $600.

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

New to Hunting..Which hunting rifle is top quality for around $600.

Old 12-11-2010, 07:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not an optics expert. I'm very far from it, but I do know that a Leupold Rifleman is a pretty crappy scope for a price that could buy you a pretty nice scope.

Do you own a rifleman? Or a VX-I?

So far everyone else that likes to chime in and tell me I don't know what I'm talking about has ended up saying they'd never own one of these "cheap" Leupolds. So why is it they feel the need to chime in telling me I don't know what I'm talking about when they would never own one themselves? We aren't talking about a VX-3 here unless you can get one of those for $200 somewhere we don't know about.

As far as the internet be weary of what you read as said above. Especially when you read about optics on this site.

Last edited by hometheaterman; 12-11-2010 at 07:47 AM.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by hometheaterman
I'm not an optics expert. I'm very far from it,

As far as the internet be weary of what you read as said above. Especially when you read about optics on this site.

This site is no worse than most of the others. In my opinion, there is less BS on this site (it makes me shudder to type that) than sites like SWFA, the phony "sniper" and Rambo wannabe sites, etc.

Everyone should be wary of internet experts, they make me weary.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I do not want to get into an argument about the best $200 scope on the market. And there could very well possibly be better scopes out there than the recommended Leupold for $200. But calling it a piece of crap is a stretch. Any Leupold is not crap. They still have a fantastic warranty, and there are tons of people who have a heck of a lot of them. So recommending any Leupold is not a bad idea. I think you guys are greatly exaggerating, and for what reason I do not know why. If you prefer a different $200 scope then spend your money and buy that scope. But I am sure that most hunters will get a full lifetime of pleasurable shooting and hunting from a $200 Leupold. Are there better scopes out there?? YES. But it definitely is not a "piece of crap"!! Come on. Tom.
Old 12-12-2010, 03:37 AM
Typical Buck

I've got VXIII's and I've got VXI's. So Far I've sent back more VXIII's in for repairs. True statement.
Old 12-12-2010, 06:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had a VX1 on a muzzleloader for a few years and never had any problems with it. Wound up replacing it because I wanted a little more magnification.

hometheaterman, You questioned the poster who had all the problems with the Nikons and said he was doing something wrong....kinda like you having all the problems with Leupolds????

I personally like Nikon scopes for the glass and think they are good scopes. But there are probably more Nikon refurbished scopes out there then any other brand. That in itself makes me wonder about their reliability. That being said the Monarch UCC I owned held up great!