Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
New to Hunting..Which hunting rifle is top quality for around $600. >

New to Hunting..Which hunting rifle is top quality for around $600.

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

New to Hunting..Which hunting rifle is top quality for around $600.

Old 12-09-2010, 12:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Gary.Garcia.III
I was thinking about the bolt actions instead of the semi auto...isn't the bolt action rifles more accurate then semi auto?
Generally the bolt is the most accurate action, but occasionally you will find a good shooting autoloader or pump that shoots about as well as a stock bolt. Bolts are stronger and more trouble-free than the other types.
Whatever you end up doing, you will never regret buying the best quality equipment you can afford (beware of "bargins").
Old 12-09-2010, 12:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

nothing wrong with followin in dad's footsteps..get a BAR..or an A-Bolt..both are nice...$600? i dunno..mine cost $1150...aircraft grade aluminum...camo..cant beat it imo
Old 12-09-2010, 03:57 PM
Spike

I was thinking about the bolt actions instead of the semi auto...isn't the bolt action rifles more accurate then semi auto?
Yes, you are correct.
Old 12-09-2010, 05:07 PM
Fork Horn

How's everyone one doing today.. recently I went hunting with my dad and shot his bar 30-06... ifell in love with the 30-06 and now im thinking about getting my own...I wondering what rifle would b best for the money.. I was looking into remington but heard they jam and tend to have problems. Im looking for a rifle with less problems...power...accuracy ..looks...and that can last a lifetime. My price range is round $600.. please any feedback would be helpful ..thank you
Does this $600 take into account putting a scope one the rifle?

A lot of good rifles in the under $600 range. I would tend to recommend a bolt. On a whole, a lot less that can go wrong with them. I have Ruger M77 and like it, recently added one of the Marlin XS7's to my collection and really like it as well.

One thing to keep in mind, if your getting a good rifle but blow your budget and have to get a cheap scope you may lose out on some of the accuracy potential of the new rifle. Also, low light conditions are complete different animals for a scope. A $60 scope will lose valuable minutes of shooting light. Always get the best scope you can afford.
Old 12-09-2010, 05:23 PM
Spike

Thanks everyone for the replies

@silver wolf- 600 is just for the rifle...after I only plan on spending around 200 for a scope
Old 12-09-2010, 07:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Does the $200 you were going to spend on the scope, include the cost of the bases & rings (and a sling) ?
Old 12-09-2010, 08:03 PM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

You won't go wrong with a Savage.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

For $600 or less for a rifle,look into a Remington 700 bolt action. Great rifles well built accurate reliable just a good all around rifle. And good choice on caliber you cant go wrong with a 30-06. Now for $200 for a scope look into a Leupold Rifleman they're around $200 and are very good scopes.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

If this is your first gun then I would look real hard at a TC Encore. you can get a 30-06 barrel, frame and stock for the price you want. Then you can buy additional barrels on down the line for a great price. Anywhere from $175 to $250 for great used barrels. This way you could put together a 22LR, and a MZ, and even a shotgun if you want. All for a great price. And you wil have a high quality piece of equipment. An Encore will last your entire life time. I have several, and I really like mine. I leave much more expensive rifles in the safe and hunt with my Encore's. They fit me perfectly. I have a little more than $600 in the first one. But the second one can easily be bought for $600, or less. And I really like the Th stock. Tom.

Old 12-10-2010, 08:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 13pointjomc
Now for $200 for a scope look into a Leupold Rifleman they're around $200 and are very good scopes.
That's seriously the worst recommendation I've seen in quite a while. You'd be much better off with a Redfield if you had to go with a Leupold. However, you could get much better glass with a Viper that's on clearance. Or heck you could get much better glass from a Vortex Diamondback or Burris FFII for similar prices if you don't like the Vipers. The Vipers are the best bet in that price range though as long as they are on clearance. Another good choice on sale is the Nikon Monarch UCC's for $200. I've got a Leupold VX-I that's a step above a rifleman and the glass is no where close to a Burris FFII or a Vortex Diamondback. The adjustments don't track anywhere close to being accurate, and it doesn't seem like the most durable scope. The only good thing I see about it is Leupolds customer service. The Nikon Monarch and Vortex Viper are even a ton better than a Burris FFII and thanks to being on clearance are in that price range.

Here is a great thread to read on scopes under $200
http://opticstalk.com/inexpensive-sc...opic21176.html

This doesn't include the Viper or the Monarch as they weren't on sale when this was written.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.