HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Warranty and shipping a rifle (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/335852-warranty-shipping-rifle.html)

TRACKER 12-07-2010 06:33 PM

Warranty and shipping a rifle

I,m sending my Rifle back to the manufacturer for repair .
I was told by someone I may have to go trew a dealer to send it back .
When I spoke with the warranty dept. they did not mention anything abought having a registered dealer mailing it in for me .
Just said to ship it to there warranty dept, address .
Gander Mountain said they would do it for me $75.00 later ???
I called the gun shop I bought it from and they said I can mail it myself , the only reason to go threw a registered dealer is the initial purchase ??
Anyone in NY State no for sure ... Thanks...

Colorado Cajun 12-07-2010 07:49 PM

You can send it yourself using UPS. It must be sent using overnight shipping. That is UPS as in brown, NOT the postal service. I've sent a hand gun back to Smith and Wesson that way and they shipped it back to me the same way. I believe on the return to you that the law has changed and they will have to ship it to a FFL when they return it to you but I'm not 100% sure on the law change. The out bound to the manufacturer has NOT changed.

statjunk 12-08-2010 05:22 AM

Have the manufacturer send you a copy of their FFL license. Print it out and have it with you when you go to UPS.

Tom

Sheridan 12-08-2010 09:57 AM

Sent my Stoeger from California to manufacture UPS - no problem.............................

skb2706 12-08-2010 10:36 AM

Can I ask what gun and whats wrong ?

Maine Shooter 12-08-2010 02:50 PM

Find a driveline/hydraulic shop in your area and see if they have any of the round shipping tubes the drive shafts come in. Get one that your rifle will fit in with room for packaging. They're sturdier then the standard rectangular boxes, less prone to crushing and do not have any resemblance to a rifle.

TRACKER 12-08-2010 04:42 PM

I need it ??

Originally Posted by statjunk (Post 3736670)
Have the manufacturer send you a copy of their FFL license. Print it out and have it with you when you go to UPS.

Tom

Why do I need it ??

doubleA 12-08-2010 04:55 PM

You can ship a rifle through the USPS, FedEX or UPS back to the manufacture for repair and to a gunsmith for repair/work without using a dealer. I have used UPS and FedEx a few times doing this. If shipping with UPS you must go through a UPS hub and not a privately owned UPS store.

Now with a handgun, it must be sent nextday/overnight. Long guns can be shipped ground.

I have to stress that you need to make sure the packaging needs to be very secure. I dont know what the carriers do but there is some rough handling for sure. I sent a Cooper back for re-stocking and went it arrived in Montana, the barrel was protruding out of the box and I had shipped in a double box as it came from Cooper. Cooper was kind enough to recrown the barrel at no charge.

I sent all the parts for a build to my gunsmith in the midwest in a padded dockosil guncase that then went into a cardboard box a few months ago, when it arrived I was notified that the fluted barrel was somewhat damaged. The smith had to file/stone out gouges and nicks from the bbl. I am getting that completed rifle back in a few days and hopefully it will come back undamaged.

Not trying to scare you but this is something to think about.

I have done this in the past when selling and shipping fireams to a FFL but have never been asked for it by a shipper.

bigbulls 12-08-2010 07:54 PM

As doubleA said, a person may send a firearm (hand gun or long gun) to the manufacturer or a licensed gunsmith with out having to go through an FFL holder. You do not need a copy of the FFL to put into the case with the firearm.

A long gun may be shipped ground through the post office, UPS, Fed-X or any other private carrier.

A hand gun must be shipped over night and must go private carrier. The post office will not ship hand guns.

You must go directly to the actual USPS, UPS or Fed-X hub to ship a firearm. The postal carrier nor the UPS/Fed-X "stores" will ship a firearm.

Vapodog 12-09-2010 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by bigbulls (Post 3737188)
As doubleA said, a person may send a firearm (hand gun or long gun) to the manufacturer or a licensed gunsmith with out having to go through an FFL holder. You do not need a copy of the FFL to put into the case with the firearm.

A long gun may be shipped ground through the post office, UPS, Fed-X or any other private carrier.

A hand gun must be shipped over night and must go private carrier. The post office will not ship hand guns.

You must go directly to the actual USPS, UPS or Fed-X hub to ship a firearm. The postal carrier nor the UPS/Fed-X "stores" will ship a firearm.

Bigbulls is correct about everything except one....you DO NOT have to ship a handgun overnight. More urban legend.

Last time I shipped a revolver to Smith & Wesson I shipped it UPS regular ground and did not ship overnight.

UPS may have a rule asking for overnight shipping and might void insurance if you do not ship overnight but there is no gov't regulation for overnight shipping.