Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
To Spend Big Bucks Or Not To Spend Big Bucks >

To Spend Big Bucks Or Not To Spend Big Bucks

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

To Spend Big Bucks Or Not To Spend Big Bucks

Old 12-07-2010, 08:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've got some cheaper priced rifles and I also have some more expensive ones. I kind of look at like statjunk though.
Old 12-07-2010, 12:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Fritz,

You make a good point. Nice rifles do hold their value. I've bought several guns and have had them for some time and then sold them. After 5-7 maybe even 10 years you can sometimes get exactly what you paid for them if not more.

If you factor in the time value of money, that is very little cost to have used a tool for a long time. I can't say that about anything else I buy.

I don't have a problem with cheap guns, it's just I have the means and the lack of other hobbies dragging me down not to have to hunt with one.

A Tikka, in a class of it's own, on the the other hand I have something against. There's just no room in life for plastic "walmatized" guns.

Tom
Old 12-07-2010, 06:10 PM
Fork Horn

I've got to say I totally understand buying a dependable accurate rifle for under $300, but shooting and hunting is my number one interest and to me my guns are far more than just a tool to kill game with. I like the top end 700's, Brownings and Rugers and at this point in my life I can afford what I want, but for those on a budget, it's great that some of the top manufacturers produce quality affordable rifles. I've heard nothing but good concerning the Marlins and Savages----enjoy
Old 12-07-2010, 08:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

If one truly likes hunting, sooner or later, he'll buy one of the "better" rifles.....and that's when we learn that the cheapest gun we'll buy in our lifetimes is if we bought the last gun first.

Until then enjoy the Marlin....it seems to be serving you just fine!
Old 12-08-2010, 03:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by statjunk
Fritz,

You make a good point. Nice rifles do hold their value. I've bought several guns and have had them for some time and then sold them. After 5-7 maybe even 10 years you can sometimes get exactly what you paid for them if not more.

If you factor in the time value of money, that is very little cost to have used a tool for a long time. I can't say that about anything else I buy.

I don't have a problem with cheap guns, it's just I have the means and the lack of other hobbies dragging me down not to have to hunt with one.

A Tikka, in a class of it's own, on the the other hand I have something against. There's just no room in life for plastic "walmatized" guns.

Tom
Tom, Remember Remington and Savage started selling those "walmatized" guns long before Tikka ever did.

The Tikka or any other cheaper priced gun is priced cheaper for a reason. The manufacturer has cut some corners somewhere, be it in the finish or the stock, you can bet it's somewhere.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm specifically talking about the plastic magazine, bolt shroud, trigger guard etc....

Not plastic stocks.

Tom
Old 12-08-2010, 06:53 AM
Spike

Pretty much the feedback I expected and I agree from all angles. I have no problems paying for good stuff (Case in point, my Bushnell 3200. Not the best in the world, but most would probably agree it's a pretty good unit). I have about $1400 tied up in an MP-15 that is a blast to plink with and I cannot wait to take it on a prairie dog target practice outing or a coyote or bobcat hunt. Less than 2 months ago I purchased a 1911 Mark IV government model that is a beauty and had very few rounds through her. So, I can appreciate nice firearms. In regards to the hobby thing, I have too many. I have a bad habit of spending a lot of money on golf clubs too. So, I do have to allocate my discretionary income wisely. The nice thing about quality firearms unlike golf equipment, they do hold their value if not abused. Again, since I am new to the bolt rifles, just trying to learn. I've had so much fun out in the field these last two seasons, I can definitely see myself purchasing a higher quality rifle someday. I love the .270 win and since I have the dies for reloading .270, I think I'll be torn on whether or not to get another one or go to a different caliber. There a many enticing 30 cal. and 7mm cartridges. If by God's grace I get to go on an elk hunt someday, I think taking something that packs more punch than the .270 may be wise. When I shoot at an animal, I want it to drop as soon as possible, for its sake and mine. Thanks for all the advice everyone.

Last edited by TigerJon73; 12-08-2010 at 06:59 AM.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Elk don't drop. You're 270 is adequate but not the best. Something that shoots a heavier bullet, like 180 grains would be a better choice.

I shot an Elk in September. It was approximately 800lbs 6x6. First shot went through the lungs taking out over an inch of rib on the way in and splintering the other one on the way out. The elk didn't even move. That's with a 180gr 30cal bullet out of a .30-06. Second shot put him down but I hit him in the neck.

Tom
Old 12-08-2010, 11:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

For hunters;
Durability, reliability and accuracy is everything.

For collectors;
Aesthetics, rarity and monetary appreciation is what matters.
Old 12-08-2010, 04:55 PM
Fork Horn

I buy guns to use, and use a lot, I don't buy a gun with the intent of babying it, and leaving it in the safe, so the whole issue of "getting what I paid for it" ten years down the road means little to me. I own, and have owned examples from most of the major manufacturers (Ruger, Remington, Savage, Weatherby, etc.) and have been perfectly content with most of them, I would rely on any of them to get the job done in most hunting situations.