HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Good O/U or SxS in the $1200-1400 range (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/335488-good-o-u-sxs-1200-1400-range.html)

ksigtuck 12-02-2010 06:52 PM

Good O/U or SxS in the $1200-1400 range

Have always wanted one of each and want to make sure that I don't buy a dud so I need to hear from those of you with more experience with SxS and O/U. WHat brands/models would you recommend looking at in this price range? Is this a good price point to find a quality SxS or O/U? Are there certain models that I should make sure to steer clear of? Any help appreciated.
Tuck

Vapodog 12-02-2010 07:18 PM

SKB makes the only O/U in this price range that I'd recommend....it's their 505 field....3" standard and 12 or 20 Ga

Finding a side X side IMO requires searching the used racks.

SKB also made a fine side x side....385 and 485 (with the sideocks.) These are magnificient guns.

ksigtuck 12-02-2010 07:26 PM

What about the CZ line? Their SxS's look pretty good on their website but I have never seen one in person.
Tuck

Vapodog 12-02-2010 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by ksigtuck (Post 3733318)
What about the CZ line? Their SxS's look pretty good on their website but I have never seen one in person.
Tuck

Thanks for that post.....CZ just might be a fine option....I've never owned one or even fondled one.....but they have a fine reputation. I just might gamble on that one. IIRC they have several models...

www.cz-usa.com

bigbulls 12-02-2010 08:49 PM

Browning citori.

nyorange 12-02-2010 09:33 PM

If you are going to use it for clays, i.e shoot alot, then browning citori or beretta 68x, with skb being a third choice. For mostly hunting then you got a lot more options, but those super cheapies really don't hold up well to alot of usage(specifically talking about those re-badged former communist models, lesser known italian and spanish and even the turkish ones at the lower end are a clear step above the commie models) IMO, if you plan on shooting clays once or twice a month, spend the cash on a browning or beretta, the few hundred dollars in initial higher cost is nothing when you consider it will probably last your lifetime and still be a decent gun when you pass it down to the kids. take care.

mr.mc54 12-03-2010 04:42 AM

Browning Citorie "White Lightning". Shoulder one and you will know why.:s2:

Blackelk 12-03-2010 04:46 AM

I love my Ruger Red Label it fits me to a tee. I shot my best round at the sporting clays club the day I bought it. I've shot higher priced shotguns that just didn't fit me. For me that's the ticket. If it shoulders right for you then that's the gun you need.

Pawildman 12-03-2010 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by ksigtuck (Post 3733318)

Tuck

..... Just fondled a CZ 20 ga. a week ago at Grice's in Clearfield, PA. Really nice. I liked it a lot. They also had Franchi SxS's on sale there for about $1000 off and I picked one up and looked it over... stock too long for me, but that's just me. CZ fit MUCH better. I recently bought an L C Smith repro from a mailorder place, sight unseen, and was a little disappointed due to the LOP on it also.
..... If you really want quality and something that will keep and increase in value, check out GunBroker and other sites for Parker Bros. and A.H. Fox SxS's. A decent Fox Sterlingworth in 12 ga. can easily be bought for the money range you stated. Parker's run higher.

MNDan 12-03-2010 10:36 AM

I'd get a Beretta over anything else - I have a Silver Pigeon and love it (they have less expensive ones that might fit your budget). Most other double guns (Brownings especially) have the stupid safety that gets jammed when inadvertently pushed halfway between one barrel and the other. And once they loosen up, it happens all the time. Berettas have a safety that this will never happen to.

http://www.impactguns.com/store/082442806945.html