Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Semi auto Deer Rifle >

Semi auto Deer Rifle

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Semi auto Deer Rifle

Old 12-05-2010, 12:26 PM
  #51  
Nontypical Buck
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,519
Default

I do understand what working a load up is, and if you tinker with it enough maybe you can find a load that will shoot 1" groups. That being said the majority of guys asking about these guns don't reload and don't plan to. So instead of telling them these guns shoot 1" moa have them be disappointed when they realize that's not with factory ammo, maybe you should just tell them the truth and that 1.5"-2" is about what they normally shoot with most factory ammo. If you tell them they normally shoot 2" groups like I do or Browning does, and they get lucky and for some reason get one that shoots better they are thrilled. If they don't get one that shoots any better than that which is most likely going to be the case they knew what they were getting, so they didn't buy it expecting 1" groups.

The BAR's are great guns. They have beautiful wood and bluing, they are plenty accurate to kill deer, they are super reliable, they just are great guns, but the accuracy of them is not great and I'm not going to mislead someone asking about them into thinking it is.
hometheaterman is offline  
Old 12-05-2010, 12:36 PM
  #52  
Nontypical Buck
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,519
Default

BTW looking back and finding the thread you posted with pictures of the targets, doesn't look like yours shoots so well either.
These are no where close to the 1" groups you claim. With the exception of the one group that appears right over 1" the rest are closer to 2".

Last edited by hometheaterman; 12-05-2010 at 12:42 PM.
hometheaterman is offline  
Old 12-05-2010, 12:47 PM
  #53  
Nontypical Buck
 
Big Uncle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,780
Default

It is past time to stop the B.S. and end this thread.
Big Uncle is offline  
Old 12-05-2010, 01:05 PM
  #54  
bigcountry
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Have you ever heard of working up a load genius. Really, are you that dumb? First time out with this gun, just a shot in the dark with powders and bullets. Are you really stupid enough to think that a reloader just stops there?

Guys like you are not worth the time. Seriously

Originally Posted by hometheaterman
BTW looking back and finding the thread you posted with pictures of the targets, doesn't look like yours shoots so well either.
These are no where close to the 1" groups you claim. With the exception of the one group that appears right over 1" the rest are closer to 2".
 
Old 12-05-2010, 01:08 PM
  #55  
bigcountry
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Originally Posted by hometheaterman
I do understand what working a load up is, and if you tinker with it enough maybe you can find a load that will shoot 1" groups. That being said the majority of guys asking about these guns don't reload and don't plan to. So instead of telling them these guns shoot 1" moa have them be disappointed when they realize that's not with factory ammo, maybe you should just tell them the truth and that 1.5"-2" is about what they normally shoot with most factory ammo. If you tell them they normally shoot 2" groups like I do or Browning does, and they get lucky and for some reason get one that shoots better they are thrilled. If they don't get one that shoots any better than that which is most likely going to be the case they knew what they were getting, so they didn't buy it expecting 1" groups.

The BAR's are great guns. They have beautiful wood and bluing, they are plenty accurate to kill deer, they are super reliable, they just are great guns, but the accuracy of them is not great and I'm not going to mislead someone asking about them into thinking it is.
I don't know, I wouldn't buy factory ammo. All I can post is what I can or cannot do.

I tell them, this is with so and so load and this is with so and so COL. I couldn't tell you what any of my guns do with factory ammos besides a 22LR.
 
Old 12-05-2010, 03:37 PM
  #56  
Spike
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 75
Default

Although I am unsure as to what minute of angle (all) 7400's or 7600's are capable of producing. I have shot some that shoot 3" groups and ones that shoot 1.5" Either way I have yet to find one that shoots like a good bolt action rifle does. But seeing that the original poster was Inquiring ONLY about a good semi auto OR pump, I dont see why there is an argument at all about a semi auto shooting MOA groups. All he asked for was advice about a good semi auto or pump rifle, and from the looks of Larry Benoit's walls and not to metion his son's success the Remington 760's have laid down their fair share of venison for them. I am sure you have heard of that family, and their favorite rifles just happen to be the 760 pump. And based on their method of hunting style, not only are those rifles accurate enough for deer hunting, but apparently they have time and time again proven to be accurate enough to kill running deer. As that is how most of the Benoits end up shooting their deer. The Bar, the 7600, and 7400 might not be minute of angle guns, but they have proven by many to kill deer from year to year. And if I remember correctly, thats all the original poster inquired about. " a good deer hunting rifle, either semi auto or pump." He never said he was going to be competing out west in a 600 meter shootout.
OldBuckstalker1187 is offline  
Old 12-05-2010, 03:42 PM
  #57  
Nontypical Buck
 
GRIZZLYMAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Texas and Arkansas
Posts: 1,496
Default

Originally Posted by hometheaterman
Well, I'm not going to recommend something that's got a well known design flaw to a poster on this forum asking for recommendations just because another member owns it and might get offended. Just like I wouldn't want other members to come on here and recommend crap to me just because they are afraid if they tell me that's it's crap they might offend another poster.

As for the BAR I should also point out that I've shot 1" groups with mine and even under 1" groups, but it won't do it on a regular basis. However, if you fire enough groups you are bound to get one that's small.
You do realize that when you started beating on the 740/742 you were beating on rifles that aren't even manufactured anymore, don't you?

Sconyhunter stated that they had experience with a 742 and you jumped all over them about the design defects.

Have you ever owned or even shot a 740/742? Just curious.

I've owned both the 742 and BAR and loved both. I like the pointing characteristics of the 742 over the BAR, but love the BAR's accuracy over the 742. I have some basis from first hand experience.

I am seeing what Bigcountry, Big Uncle, and others are saying. Thanks guys, this thread has been informative.

Last edited by GRIZZLYMAN; 12-05-2010 at 03:46 PM.
GRIZZLYMAN is offline  
Old 12-05-2010, 03:48 PM
  #58  
Nontypical Buck
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,519
Default

Originally Posted by GRIZZLYMAN
You do realize that when you started beating on the 740/742 you were beating on rifles that aren't even manufactured anymore, don't you?

Sconyhunter stated that they had experience with a 742 and you jumped all over them about the design defects.

Have you ever owned or even shot a 740/742? Just curious.

I've owned both the 742 and BAR and loved both. I like the pointing characteristics of the 742 over the BAR, but love the BAR's accuracy over the 742. I have some basis from first hand experience.

I am seeing what Bigcountry, Big Uncle, and others are saying. Thanks guys, this thread has been informative.
I've posted several times in this thread already that I've never owned a 740 or 742. However, I've read plenty about their design flaw. I wasn't saying don't buy one, or don't use one, I was saying if you do buy one check the rails out to make sure they aren't chewed up. If they are chewed up you will have a gun that jams all the time.
hometheaterman is offline  
Old 12-05-2010, 03:52 PM
  #59  
Nontypical Buck
 
GRIZZLYMAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Texas and Arkansas
Posts: 1,496
Default

Originally Posted by hometheaterman
The older Remington 740's and 742's have issues with the guns wearing out prematurely, so I'd stay away from them if it was me.
No, this is what you said.
GRIZZLYMAN is offline  
Old 12-05-2010, 04:22 PM
  #60  
Nontypical Buck
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,519
Default

Yes, and I would stay away from them. However, you insist that they are fine, so I told him that if he does decide he wants one to just make sure he checks out the rails. We've covered this several times in this thread already. Go on a gun forum and ask what the opinions of these guns are. Let me know back the answers you get. When they work they may be great guns, but they do have a design flaw which the 7400's fix.

Last edited by hometheaterman; 12-05-2010 at 06:41 PM.
hometheaterman is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.