Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Semi auto Deer Rifle >

Semi auto Deer Rifle

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Semi auto Deer Rifle

Old 12-02-2010, 06:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Based on the experience my cousin had with a 7400 Remington I'd never buy a semi-auto remington.

I've always had a soft spot for the Wincehster 100. If I found one in 243 Win I'd snap it up asap.

Tom
Old 12-02-2010, 07:30 PM
Spike

heres what i got from my belgium bar 30-06 with rem core lok 150g at 100yrds.my first group was the 3 just left of center then i monkeys with the scope and got the 3 above center.........ive had tighter groups with it b4! just wasnt at my best this day

Old 12-02-2010, 09:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nothing wrong with those groups. I have been looking into the semi auto myself. The pawn shop has one in for a descent deal in .308.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

For hunting I believe a semi-auto should be a low recoil round. The whole point is the follow up.

Tom
Old 12-03-2010, 01:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by statjunk
Based on the experience my cousin had with a 7400 Remington I'd never buy a semi-auto remington.

I've always had a soft spot for the Wincehster 100. If I found one in 243 Win I'd snap it up asap.

Tom
My stepfather shot a 742 in 243 for several years and killed a lot of deer with it. He sold it to a guy that worked for him and he used it for several years. We lost track of it after the employee shot himself (I don't think it was with that rifle).

243 is a good round for semi autos. I have a BLR in 243 and love it.
Old 12-03-2010, 06:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sconnyhunter
HTM, you seem to have more friends that most people.
They all seem to have had problems or positive experiences regarding the particular item being discussed in any given thread.

I have to posit, that for the most part, you're full of it.

Being that most other people don't have that many friends, or spend as much time online researching particular items as you apparently do.
Maybe I do have more friends than some of you guys, maybe not. I really have no idea, but I do have quite a few friends. If you join a hunt club, or anything similar, and hunt in a small town where everyone knows everyone, you will quickly get to see and often shoot many different guns, as well as check out many different scope combo's and hear and see many peoples experiences. Some of what people say you have to take with a grain of salt, other stuff that you witness, or that you get to try out for yourself is what you can count on. 95% of the people I know hunt, and I know quite a few people. Then you figure that the majority of them have more than one gun, and you get to see and shoot quite a few as I said earlier.

All of that being said, myself nor my friends have not used a lot of the products discussed in many threads here which is why you don't seem me commenting on them. If I see a thread about an item I don't know anything about, I don't usually respond to it. I read it and try to learn. Ever notice how there are a ton of threads that don't have replies from me? That's because I don't know about the subject well enough to give an answer or opinion, or because I don't know about it at all. The ones I do respond to, I usually have either had experience with that product either through owning it, or having friends who've owned it that I've gotten to use. If that's not the case, it's usually a topic that I've done quite a bit of reading on and know from that.

So what exactly am I full of it on?

The 740's and 742's have the problems I mentioned and it's well documented, just do a search. Do all of them have these problems? No, but some do and it is a design flaw.

Just like Remington 710's and 770's, for the most part we all know they suck. Yet you can find people that have them and love them. A guy I hunt with on a fairly regular basis has a 710 he will brag to you about all day. He'd never admit that there are better rifles out there for similar prices. I guess it's hard for some people to admit that something they own isn't the best.

The Leupold VX-I scopes are not on par with their similar priced competition. Even most Leupold fans will admit that the VX-I isn't the best scope, and quite a few BAR's shoot between 2-3 MOA. The other thing I often say is that the Remington 870 Express often have rough chambers that cause the gun to make the pump stick after firing cheap birdshot loads. IMO a gun should not need work when it's brand new. They also have a pretty crappy finish on them, and while they are reasonably priced they aren't cheap enough that you should have to sacrifice a properly functioning gun right out of the box. Those are the biggest things I seem to get people upset over, but which one of those am I exactly full of it on?

Last edited by hometheaterman; 12-03-2010 at 06:25 PM.
Old 12-03-2010, 06:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sconnyhunter
HTM, you seem to have more friends that most people.
They all seem to have had problems or positive experiences regarding the particular item being discussed in any given thread.

I have to posit, that for the most part, you're full of it.

Being that most other people don't have that many friends, or spend as much time online researching particular items as you apparently do.
BTW, I just have to ask. Do you actually own the products you claim I'm full of it on? Have you actually used them if you don't own them? Do you have anything to back up your side of the story to prove I'm full of it? Or should we just take your word for it?
Old 12-03-2010, 06:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, I have in the past owned a Rem. 742 in .308 nice little gun held decent groups year to year.
My father and brother both shoot BAR's. My dad's is a 7mm and my brothers is a 30-06. Again they both hold decent groups.
None of us is displeased with the accuracy of the weapons.

I can't speak to the veracity of your claims regarding the Leupold VX-I scopes. I have never had one.

My comment was that you always have some friend, or experience, or research from the internet. That is negative or only slightly positive regarding many of the thread that your seen posting in. Also, you expect us to take your word for it, as the gospel truth.
I have no expectation that you will believe that I have owned a Rem., which i never had any the issues, that you mentioned, with.

You can choose to believe me or not.
Old 12-04-2010, 05:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

The friends and family of mine have never had a problem with their Remington autoloaders or pumps. However, I do like the pump models better than the autoloaders.

On any internet forum you will get some inexperienced guy ("me and my buddy" or "me and my cousin" guys) who wants to be heard. One guy on this site never passes the chance to trash Leupold and Remington with ever changing stories, and crap that was posted in yet another internet forum. It is probably best to just ignore their input and not waste the time to discuss, debate, or argue. Not everyone agrees on any topic.
Old 12-04-2010, 02:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

You mentioned pump also. I've owned quite a few 760's (Rem pumps) and they are workhorses. They're not absolute tack-drivers, but they will shoot about any ammo and will take a beating.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.