HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Getting into muzzleloading (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/335318-getting-into-muzzleloading.html)

hammerdown45 11-30-2010 01:25 PM

Getting into muzzleloading

Hi everyone I just recently shot a muzzleloader at the range and liked it a lot. I am going to order the Wolf 209 Magnum .50 from gander mountain tonight but I had a few questions first. Ive read every review I could find about it and everyone seems to really like it for the price. The only bad thing people say is that other hunters wont take you seriously because they think its a cheap bad rifle. I dont really care about that I just want a good functioning muzzleloader.

What do you guys think about this muzzleloader its 180.00 right now is there anything else you would recomend?

What type of powder do you guys recomend I like the pellets for now since Im new?

What grain of bullet would you all recomend because they have so many different kinds?

Anything other comments you have feel free to post them I want to hear everything about muzzleloading.
Thanks for any help.

bigtim6656 11-30-2010 07:50 PM

I would check around gander is normally high, I like the 777 and it should be fine in the wolf, I was going to go with the pellets but it cost so much more and your stuck with the size you get.

I use 250 grain shockwave they work good in my tc triump and wacked a doe 2 weeks ago, I can cloverleaf 4 shots at 100 yards.
Might jump to the muzzleloader section for my info.

Also just practice practice and practice

hunt12ga 12-01-2010 07:03 PM

If that is the $ amount you're planning to spend, that's what I'd go with. I've never shot a Wolf but from what I hear they are a great gun for the money. Accurate and dependable. There are flashier guns out there, but if you are wanting to put a bullet in a deer, it doesn't matter what the gun looks like or how much it costs, just how well it shoots. I don't care how 'cheap' they are-I bet the guys making fun of them wouldn't want one pointed at them!

As far as getting started quickly yet effectively, buy some Pyrodex or Triple 7 pellets. Buy a box of 250gr T/C Shockwaves (readily available and get very good accuracy reviews). Try 2 pellets (100grains) of powder and see how the gun groups.

Take a look at the videos on CVA's website. They try to push the CVA products, but they also give you a good bit of information on the how-to's of muzzleloading.

Good luck to you and have fun. I'm sure you'll enjoy your Wolf and it should serve you well for years.

rw

lovethebigguns 12-02-2010 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by hammerdown45 (Post 3731745)
What do you guys think about this muzzleloader its 180.00 right now is there anything else you would recomend?

If $200 is your budget I'd strongly suggest taking a look at the TC Impact. I've shot one that my buddy has and they really are a good muzzle loader with TC's lifetime warranty. Right now Cabelas has them on sale for $199.99. Hell of a deal.