Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
First time gun owner... what to purchase and where >

First time gun owner... what to purchase and where

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

First time gun owner... what to purchase and where

Old 12-01-2010, 02:29 PM
Spike

I'd like to add that my next gun will likely be the Browning BPS Upland Special in 20 ga. I like a short, light gun for plantation quail killings.
Old 12-01-2010, 02:43 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by cullbuck
Don't think that you are bothering folks with questions, can't you tell folks like giving their opinions on guns?! LOL

Autos tend to kick less than pumps. Pumps tend to be more reliable than autos. Both can shoot "fast" in the right hands. To me, personally, I think an auto is worth the extra money. That is just because I like them better. You'll find that many like pumps better than autos. If I were you, just starting out and all, I'd get a pump.

The 20 ga kicks less and provides the shooter more of a challenge because the shells hold fewer shot than the 12 ga. Some argue that the 20 ga has better range than a 12 ga (I haven't investigated that fully). Personally, I'm not about being challenged when I shoot at anything. I want to have the best chance of hitting what I'm shooting at, so I'm a 12 ga man. The recoil doesn't bother me as much as missing something. If I were you I'd get the 12 ga. If you get good with the 12 ga, then start shooting a 20 ga.
like cullbuck siad you are not bothering us. you could get an auto. i would get a pump but its your decision. i prefer pumps but then again its all i have. the only autos i have are .22s. each will serve you well. another to take in mind is that some of the low end autos are junk
Old 12-01-2010, 02:53 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by marlin30/30_drabe
another to take in mind is that some of the low end autos are junk
Yes. They can be more aggravating than they are worth.
Old 12-01-2010, 03:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Take a look at this Stoeger O/U ;

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/prod...ducts_id=31438

Good entry level shotgun to see if you like this shooting & hunting stuff !

Sound familar (12 gauge)..............you can get a pump or an auto later if you're still interested ???

Last edited by Sheridan; 12-01-2010 at 03:51 PM.
Old 12-01-2010, 03:58 PM
Spike

Would this be considered a low end automatic shotgun then?

http://www.gandermountain.com/modper...1&merchID=4006

Last edited by Thresh33; 12-01-2010 at 04:02 PM.
Old 12-01-2010, 04:02 PM
Spike

That sounds oh so familiar...haha. That might not be a bad idea either. I'm just thinking if for the same amount of money I could get a gun that I would be able to also hunt deer with without having to buy another gun.

I didn't realize it takes about 8 weeks to get my FOID card back though, so I guess i've got quite a while to think about this.
Old 12-02-2010, 05:12 PM
Spike

if you want to spend less and it has to be Gander Mountain...

http://www.gandermountain.com/modper...ID=4004&r=view

use the extra time to practice. Walmart will have the choke tubes on sale after season ends...

Mosberg is less expensive. Like I said earlier I had one of the combo sets of the 500, years ago before going to the 1187. It was ok to hunt with just slammed you a little harder when you pulled the trigger.

One way or the other go get the feel of them. Shoot them if you get the chance. Then you really have an idea what you're buyng.
Old 12-02-2010, 06:22 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by rmrvette
if you want to spend less and it has to be Gander Mountain...

http://www.gandermountain.com/modper...ID=4004&r=view

use the extra time to practice. Walmart will have the choke tubes on sale after season ends...

Mosberg is less expensive. Like I said earlier I had one of the combo sets of the 500, years ago before going to the 1187. It was ok to hunt with just slammed you a little harder when you pulled the trigger.

One way or the other go get the feel of them. Shoot them if you get the chance. Then you really have an idea what you're buyng.
Doesn't have to be gander mountain by any means. They're just the only website that advertises guns as far as local retailers goes.

Last edited by Thresh33; 12-02-2010 at 06:24 PM.