Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
First time gun owner... what to purchase and where >

First time gun owner... what to purchase and where

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

First time gun owner... what to purchase and where

Old 11-30-2010, 06:36 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Thresh33
I started to google a little bit and i'm coming across some things that say the mossberg 500 series is a better and cheaper gun than the remington 870?? opinions?
Dunno about that. I have an 835 and it ain't hitting on much. It works well most of the time, but it is far from trouble-free. I think a 500 is very similar to an 835.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

for 400 bucks you could hit walmart for a mossberg 500 pump with the combo smooth/rifled and still get a good scope. Mine shoots great and a good starter, you casn change the chokes for anything from bird, turkey to deer
Old 12-01-2010, 03:19 AM
Typical Buck

I started to google a little bit and i'm coming across some things that say the mossberg 500 series is a better and cheaper gun than the remington 870?? opinions?
its what they feel like to you. dont let this discourage you but i dont like the 870, express at least, wingmasters are great guns but they cost much more than the express. i have a 500 as my mian gun and use my dads 870 wingmaster for slugs. go to the you rlocal gun dealer and pick them up. see how they feel. the 870 vs 500 battle has long going and will never stop
Old 12-01-2010, 05:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

My opinion is that is half right. The 500 is cheaper. The 500 is well built for the money, but... Have fun with your internet quest. If you are serious you will go to a shop and get the feel of these guns.
Old 12-01-2010, 05:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just bought my Son and I each a Stoeger Condor O/U for 340.00 each new,we got into Trap shooting this fall also and for the cost of the Stoeger if you deside not to shoot anymore you are not out a arm and leg....We have about 1500-2000 rounds thru each and they seem to be holding up just fine.
Old 12-01-2010, 05:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have 2 Mossberg 500s,12 gauge and a 20 witch I bought back in 77 and 78,havent had a bit of trouble with either,sure they shake and rattle but for 30+ yrs old what can you expect,also have a Stoeger M2000 and for the price isnt all that bad if ya break it in right(heavy Loads)and now I added two Stoeger Condors to the safe.......
Old 12-01-2010, 06:32 AM
Typical Buck

If your truely going to use it for deer hunting and trap shooting you should go with a smooth/rifled combo. Most pumps are the same in that they will function reliably. Not sure if you can deer hunt with rifles in your area if so, then I might opt for a Stoeger O/U for trap and get yourself a handi rifle for deer hunting.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:58 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by cjwink
If your truely going to use it for deer hunting and trap shooting you should go with a smooth/rifled combo. Most pumps are the same in that they will function reliably. Not sure if you can deer hunt with rifles in your area if so, then I might opt for a Stoeger O/U for trap and get yourself a handi rifle for deer hunting.
shotguns only in IL
Old 12-01-2010, 11:12 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Big Uncle
My opinion is that is half right. The 500 is cheaper. The 500 is well built for the money, but... Have fun with your internet quest. If you are serious you will go to a shop and get the feel of these guns.

I think that's just what I'm going to have to do. I gotta go see them for myself. Like anything you buy, can't count on internet opinions.

I've got two last questions, and then I won't bother you fellas anymore, for about 100 bucks more there are some semi-automatic shotguns. Are these worth the little extra cash? And last, obviously I'm a novice shooter, I assume 20 ga is a little easier to shoot then 12, do I need 12? Would a 20 ga be fine? Or does it not even make a difference?

Thanks again guys you've all been a tremendous help.
Old 12-01-2010, 02:25 PM
Spike

I've got two last questions, and then I won't bother you fellas anymore, for about 100 bucks more there are some semi-automatic shotguns. Are these worth the little extra cash? And last, obviously I'm a novice shooter, I assume 20 ga is a little easier to shoot then 12, do I need 12? Would a 20 ga be fine? Or does it not even make a difference?

Thanks again guys you've all been a tremendous help.
Don't think that you are bothering folks with questions, can't you tell folks like giving their opinions on guns?! LOL

Autos tend to kick less than pumps. Pumps tend to be more reliable than autos. Both can shoot "fast" in the right hands. To me, personally, I think an auto is worth the extra money. That is just because I like them better. You'll find that many like pumps better than autos. If I were you, just starting out and all, I'd get a pump.

The 20 ga kicks less and provides the shooter more of a challenge because the shells hold fewer shot than the 12 ga. Some argue that the 20 ga has better range than a 12 ga (I haven't investigated that fully). Personally, I'm not about being challenged when I shoot at anything. I want to have the best chance of hitting what I'm shooting at, so I'm a 12 ga man. The recoil doesn't bother me as much as missing something. If I were you I'd get the 12 ga. If you get good with the 12 ga, then start shooting a 20 ga.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.