Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Rifled Slugs or a Rifled Shotgun? >

Rifled Slugs or a Rifled Shotgun?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Rifled Slugs or a Rifled Shotgun?

Old 12-04-2010, 02:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

If the smoothbore has bead sights...they will cover a deer from belly to back at about 75 yards. It's kind of hard to be accurate at that range when your bead is bigger than your kill zone.

Many smoothbore's will shoot..........but they have sights for shooting at running rabbits at 20 yards.

I'd opt for the 20.
Old 12-04-2010, 03:25 PM
Super Moderator

What Pro Line said. I can get decent groups out of my Mossberg 500 smoothbore at 100 yards. But thats from practice and knowing exactly where I'm holding each time. Pull up on a deer past fifty yards and the bead covers the entire deer.
Now I use a Mossberg 695...a bolt action slug gun. It shoots a little better, but having the scope makes it much better.
If the 20 gauge has a scope, I'd choose it. If not, give your 12 a try and see what you can hit! Good luck
-Jake