Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Accuracy question for a Rem 223 >

Accuracy question for a Rem 223

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Accuracy question for a Rem 223

Old 11-26-2010, 12:53 PM
Fork Horn

Default Accuracy question for a Rem 223

I recently just bought a Remington Mod 700 in .223. It was a combo deal with scope, rings, bases, and gun deal. The scope that came with it is a Remington 4x12x40 model but I think it is a Bushnell scope. I could be wrong. Anyways I sighted the gun at 25yds to make sure it was on paper after boresighting it. I was able to dial it in to where I wanted it and it shot a three shot group that was touching. I then moved back to 50 yds at it went haywired. The shots were 6.5 inches high and 4.5 inches to the left. The shot group went from touching to a 3 inch group. I honestly believe the scope is the problem and not the ammo or the gun itself. I am shooting Black Hills 55gr ammo right now. I do plan on putting on a different scope when I get some money and after the holdiays but I am hoping to get it sighted in with the current set up so I can use it on some coyotes this winter. Any suggestions, opinions, past experiences would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-26-2010, 04:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would check the scope rings for tightness on the scope and the base itself.
Old 12-04-2010, 09:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would deffinitely say check the rings and bases, that rifle should be a sweet shooter.
Old 12-05-2010, 12:59 AM
Fork Horn

I have the same combo, in 308WIN.
The scope isn't a bushnell, it's a simmons.
Check your rings and bases for being sure they're snugged down well, then try your test again.
Alternatively, ditch the POS simmons, get something that will actually hold a zero, and start over.
I'm waiting to get mine set up until I put decent optics on it, with quality rings and bases to go with it.
Simmons scopes are good for pellet guns and 22's IMHO, but not much else.
Bushnell is a fair scope for the money.
I'm going with a Millett or a Nikon.
Have had good experiences with both, and I usually go with what I know.
Yes, they're a lot more money, but in most cases with optics, you get what you pay for.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:30 PM
Fork Horn

DDm, thanks for clarification on the scope brand. I do plan on buying a new scope for it, probably a Nikon. Like you, I know what quality I will get with a Nikon as I do own a couple already. I just don't have the money to get it yet. I hope too by this spring but I am hoping the current setup will get me through the winter.

I have taken the scope off, checked the bases, remounted the scope, and made sure the rings are snug. I have reboresighted it but it will probably be after the holidays before I get out to shoot it again.

Thanks to everyone so far for the input.
Old 12-09-2010, 01:33 PM
Spike

Try one thing at a time, if you have a known good scope replace the old one and find out. In some of the guns i have checked out it has been the scope. I replace with a known quality scope and groups shrink. I have found a bad leupold and weaver scope by doing this. If I was not such an honest guy I would have gotten 2 guns for dirt cheap, the one bought a leupold and is very happy. the other as of now is sending his back to leupold for the second time, not quit happy with leupold right now.