HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   stretching out those shots (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/335048-stretching-out-those-shots.html)

hunt12ga 11-26-2010 11:27 AM

stretching out those shots

Up until last summer I'd never owned a centerfire rifle. I live in Illinois, so the only deer hunting guns are shotguns and muzzleloaders. Well, I've never shot at a deer much past 50 yards. I've grouped my guns at 100 yards, which seems far to me. I watch the predator hunting shows and hear people talk about 400-500 yard shots, and it just befuddles me. That is a LONG way!

What do you consider a long shot (deer sized game)? Even if I know my gun will perform at 200 yards, I haven't practiced those shots (don't even have a good place to do it!) so I would never try it in a hunting situation. My answer, taking into consideration the wooly woods I normally hunt in, would be 100-150 yards. What about y'all?

rw

Pawildman 11-26-2010 12:26 PM

We shoot deer here in Pennsylvania with whatever ya got, basically. So the answers and results from places like this are going to run the length of the gamut, from .22 Hornets to .50 BMG's. I would preface my first remark with the fact that the cartridge must be a centerfire. No rimfires allowed. The mountain men will still be killing deer with lever action 30-30's, 35 Rems and the like for years to come yet, while the powerline and field watchers will be picking them off at some astounding ranges. Guess what I'm getting at is that you need or should set your sights on a rifle or shotgun that will best adapt to the type of terrain you will be in. As far as an all-around pick, (and I can hear the keyboards firing up right now) I would think the old, proven 30-06 would serve you just fine, and the yardage you metioned (100-150) could be downsized some to 50-150 in most cases around here. Practice is everything.

rgs1975 11-26-2010 02:03 PM

My local range here goes out to 300 yards so I have my rifle sighted in and ready for 100, 200 and 300. I guess anything over 300 I'd be less than confident and likely wouldn't shoot.

spaniel 11-26-2010 02:26 PM

Long range is more about the ability of the shooter than the equipment. With a blackpowder substitute powdered muzzleloader long range starts around 200yds due to the effect of wind drift; add 100 yards for a smokeless powder muzzleloader. For centerfire, around 400-500 yards.

bigtim6656 11-27-2010 09:02 PM

I took a shot with my muzzle loader out to 240 10 days ago, when I had my ars I could hit my spot at 125 yards with iron sights. Been looking at getting a good bolt action setup and doing 500 yard shots, I now have a spot I can take a 500 easy 800 if no one else was on the property

I think it depends on were your at, here rifle ml or shot gun most do not go past 100 because for indiana it is real hilly, mine was on a open field that was over 1000 yards long. In kentucky you had a hill issue that keep you down. I know of three people personally who have took more then one deer past 400 yards. THE key is PRACTICE PRACTICE AND THEN PRACTICE

Blackelk 11-28-2010 03:39 AM

It's rocket science plain n simple.

I'm not in Ridge Runners class of long range shooters. I'd have to do some research and actually buy the set up to do that kind of shooting. That's a whole another bag of tricks. I do believe these guys can pit the ace at 900 yards. I've had the itch to play in that field for awhile now. 600 yards and under I'm confident in my equipment to know when that rifle goes off my hunt is over. Knowing is half the battle. So if you don't know you can always go find out. Start at the range not on game.

Once a person builds good shooting techniques the rest is rocket science.