Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Which Gun accuracy 400 to 500 yds. >

Which Gun accuracy 400 to 500 yds.

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Which Gun accuracy 400 to 500 yds.

Old 11-27-2010, 06:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rickyb1
The deer that was shot at 410 yds.with the Ruger .220 swift ran about 50 yds.I was zero at 300 yds. and put the crosshairs right across his back knowning bullet would drop approx.8" and hit back of right shoulder bullet did not pass thru but insides was a mess.I use a vortex viper 6.5 x 20 x50mm . This bullet is leaving muzzle at 4100 fps, we do this all the time i do not understand why people have a hard time believing this ,if you know your gun and ballistics this is a no brainer.
Are you shooting factory or handloads? Do you realize what your energy at impact would be at that distance? I have taken several 'yotes and prairie dogs at and beyond that distance with very calculated results useing the .220 Swift and the 22-250. I VERY well understand the ballistics aspects of long distance shooting, for this is what I do as a living. As I said with the AI AWM in .338 Lapua out to 1500 yds+. I am just saying that, as is everyone else, that specific projectile is NOT intended for animals of that size and frame stature.
Old 11-28-2010, 04:25 AM
Spike

This will be my last post on this subject, I have taken several deer with this gun and bullet this being my longest shot and have seen the results and will continue to use, I have used larger caliber and not seen the results of internal damage.With that said I bid you farewell on this subject.
Old 11-28-2010, 07:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
look, you're seeing a lot of internal damage, why? think about it, the bullet is completely expanding, your on a fine line bordering bullet failure. its completely coming apart with less than 350 ft'lbs of energy, a recipe for disaster. If a bullet isn't exiting a deer at 400 yards, your not shooting enough weight.40 years behind a rifle has taught me this, shooting alot of deer has taght me this, and shooting somewhere around 50 beyond 400 yards has taught me this. I offer my experience and advice for nothin, do not heed it if you think your more knoledgable than those here with alot of experience, but if you continue you'll learn the hard way.Basicly what your doing is the same as using a 17 HMR for coyotes, kids will still argue that it works well but we know better.good day, and BTW ya just made my iggy listRR
Well said. I feel that we have seen what inexperience and pure godly lucky has done for those NOT in the know. I also feel that with over 35 yrs of High Power rifle work and 19 yrs LEO Sniper work has shown me that when I smell something and see something that looks like I was glad I did not step in it, my BS sensor starts going off!!! I just hope for the animals he encounters in his errorful ways that their death is swift and painless, for I feel many have not, did not and will not be so fortunate in this episode. Done and out.
Old 11-28-2010, 03:39 PM
Typical Buck

Stock? I'm going to say maybe. There's no question that with some work and trying various bullets you'll find the right combination. Personally I'd use the ruger just because I own a 270 and a 300 win mag in the Mark II. Definately my favorite action, even when I consider both my savages and my remington 700.

The only attraction to the savage for me in these type of performance situations would be the accu trigger system. If the savage has that then I would definately put the time on the savage.
Old 11-28-2010, 04:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by rickyb1
This will be my last post on this subject, I have taken several deer with this gun and bullet this being my longest shot and have seen the results and will continue to use, I have used larger caliber and not seen the results of internal damage.With that said I bid you farewell on this subject.
Run troll, RUN!!