Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Too Much Gun ??? >

Too Much Gun ???

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Too Much Gun ???

Old 07-17-2003, 09:10 PM

Default Too Much Gun ???

What do you think? My son is in the process of acquiring a new rifle. Its purpose is solely for moose hunting (and possibly big bear in the future). Now here' s the kicker (no pun intended) it will be a .338 Win Mag. The rifle is a Sako 75 Hunter and will be mounted with a Swarovski PV 2.5 to 10 x 42. He doesn' t need this rifle he just wants it - valid logic no doubt, but is it really a good decision. He already has a good moose rifle - a Ruger 77 mk2 laminated stainless 300 win mag w/ a VX111 1.5 to 5 which has served him well. I think he' d be better to invest his gun $$ in maybe a good turkey blaster or maybe even a sweet little varmiter. Recoil is not a factor with him. One day at the range I saw him fire nearly 50 rds off the bench with his 300 w. mag wearing a T shirt and then sighted in another fellow' s .338 w. mag Browning A Bolt because this guy was flinching right off the paper. I think he' s just in love with that Sako. Should I try harder to talk him out of it or just let nature take its course? gg.
Old 07-17-2003, 09:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Too Much Gun ???

I WOULD AGREE WITH YOU IF IT WAS FOR ME BUT IT SOUNDS LIKE HE KNOWS WHAT HE WANTS AND HE MIGHT ALWAYS WISH HE HAD BOUGHT THE 338. I think th 300 mag with good bullets is all the gun he would need. A friend of mine took the biggest moose in ten year in Alaska with his Sako 300 Win Mag. He has also taken several of the Big bears. Grizzly and Polar bear. He shoots 200 grain Nosler Partitions.
Old 07-17-2003, 09:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Get him the .338 Win. Mag. I wish him good luck.
Old 07-17-2003, 10:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

let him get it. sounds like he knows his stuff. and he knows what he wants
Old 07-17-2003, 10:59 PM

Congrats on raising a boy with some temper to his steel.

It' s unlikely you will be able to choose his wife for him....
Similarly, if it is his money, then it is likely that he will do the choosing of the rifle.

Sounds like he may be looking beyond the horizon,
My kind of kid!

Never Go Undergunned,
EKM
Old 07-17-2003, 11:05 PM

I' d have to agree with the wife analogy... if you' ve already brought up the logical options and he won' t have anything to do with it, you' ve gotta let it go. If nothing else, he can trade it in if he makes a mistake. More than you can say for the wife.
Old 07-18-2003, 05:44 AM

If that was my son I would encourage him to sell the ruger and buy the sako. I dont think need has alot to do with it anyway. Do you really need two dozen shirts hanging in the closet? Not really. Buy it. A 250 grain 338 bullet at about 2700 fps would make a nice resounding smack when it hits a bull moose.
Old 07-18-2003, 06:42 AM

Congrats on raising a boy with some temper to his steel.
Well Said EKM!!! Sounds like he knows what he wants and you' ve raised him well to be able to make those kind of decisons.

woods
Old 07-18-2003, 06:58 AM
Fork Horn

If he has the extra $$ and all bills are pd. you can' t have too many toys .. I have both also ..Bill
Old 07-18-2003, 08:29 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.