Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Turkey Choke for Slugs.. >

Turkey Choke for Slugs..

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Turkey Choke for Slugs..

Old 11-20-2010, 12:42 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Turkey Choke for Slugs..

Of course not..that would be insane...but has anyone ever done it by accident.

Last Tuesday I went hunting with my 870 mag..After I was up in the tree I noticed I had not taken the turkey choke out...I wouldn't take the chance and fire it..Instead,my hunt was over very quickly.

What might have happened if I would have fired it..? I unscrewed the choke and noticed I could put my index finger in one side about 1 1/2 inches..but the other side ..maybe 1/2 inch..diffently much tighter.

C7

Last edited by Chuck7; 11-20-2010 at 12:45 AM.
Old 11-20-2010, 10:11 PM
Spike

I did'nt see it happen, but I did see the end result. Blew the choke out of the threads and the slug WAS STILL IN THE CHOKE!!!! I personally think he got lucky and that it only ruined the barrel, with no injury to him.
Old 11-20-2010, 11:35 PM
Dominant Buck

Appreciate you sharing sir...I have to drive along ways and walk along ways so I was a little tempted to fire it out of the choke..

I thought ..well let's look at the choke..so I unscrewed the choke...one side was about the same size as the bore of the muzzle..I stuck my index finger down the tube to compare..Then when I went to put my finger down the muzzle side of the choke..OH NO !! I could barely start my finger in it..so I unloaded the firearm and quietly 'bit the bullet.'

Thanks for the reply...those turkey chokes are very tight.Mine is the Tru Glo choke. Shoots an awesome pattern.

PS..The improved cylinder is now in the shotgun
Old 11-21-2010, 01:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

next time, i would unload it BEFORE you go stickin your fingers in the barrell....just sayin.
Old 11-21-2010, 03:18 AM
Dominant Buck

"so I unscrewed the choke"

When I was stickin my finger in the choke.. the choke was in my hand...{ -;
Old 11-21-2010, 05:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

or before i unscrewd the choke....
Old 11-22-2010, 06:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Your not supposed to intensionally shoot a shotgun without a choke in the barrel. In this situation since you're using slugs and not shot, it could have been used without the choke in place. Probably have to wire brush the threads before putting a choke back in.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:29 AM
Super Moderator

You could have shot it with the choke out probably like said above. Wouldn't have been ideal, but for the sake of the hunt, I probably woulda tried it.
-Jake
Old 11-23-2010, 02:21 PM
Dominant Buck

I did that...for about 30 minutes...I took out the choke and thought if a deer is close I'll shoot.I was sitting in an archery spot..window no farther than 30 yds..then I thought I'd probably mess up the threads..or maybe the end of the barrel..I simply humbled myself and came out of the tree ..

NOW..there was a lesson learned...I went home and changed the choke immediately..I had thought about changing it before but put it off..

Other lessons learned....

1. Make sure your climber is attached top to bottom with a rope

2. Carry 2 flashlights and extra batteries..a mile deep in a gator filled swamp without a light is not fun

3.Make sure you got your tree rope that hold you to the tree with ya.

4.Don't lay your bow to close to the tree..you may step on the string...and knock it off the pulies..} -;

5. Make sure of your tacks and don't stray off the path by following another 's trail tacks..you may need to double tack once in a while

6.Carry an extra truck key and hide it on your truck

7.Make sure your license is not expired.

8.Make sure your buck as antlers.

9.Don't assume another's wooden stand is not rotted. ]-; that one hurt

10.Make sure the correct choke is in the shotgun ..that was a new one.LOL

11.Carry a compass...no matter how well you think you know the 50,000 acre WMA

These are the lessons I've learned over my hunting career.

Last edited by Chuck7; 11-23-2010 at 02:23 PM.
Old 04-20-2015, 09:26 AM
Spike

I have shot a slug through my turkey choke on accident and it did fire fine but i was extremely lucky that it didn't damage my barrel or choke and i definitely learned my lesson in not checking the shells i was loading into my gun

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.