Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
conceal carry weapon >

conceal carry weapon

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

conceal carry weapon

Old 11-19-2010, 06:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default conceal carry weapon

I applied for my conceal carry permit two weeks ago, and unless I had a black out and killed a few people during said black out I see no reason I will not get it.

A few years ago I bought a glock 21 ,45 acp for home defense, at the time I did not see a big reason to carry and did not have my permit.

With someone breaking into our house, and a issue at a business property we own I went ahead and applied for it.

I am concerned the glock 21 will be a bad carry weapon. Concerned with hiding it and the general weight.

Thinking either a smaller 9mm, 1911, or a smaller .45acp. Now I have a reason to buy a new handgun

I am a big guy 6'5 475 pounds, might not be a issue, but I give to the sentence before this one A REASON TO BUY A NEW GUN
Old 11-19-2010, 07:44 PM
Spike

I have three guns I will carry and can recommend them all.

First is a S&W Airweight Model 642 with 2.5" barrel (.38 Special +P). It's tiny, very light and super easy to carry in a pocket holster. A thin ammo strip with an extra 5 rounds in the other pocket and you're good to go.

My most comfortable carry is a Glock 36 (.45ACP). This gun is super thin and packs one hell of a wallop. Surprisingly accurate and easy to keep on target as well. I put the Glock in a Crossbreed SuperTuck IWB. You nearly forget you even have it on.

Lastly, when I feel I want more firepower with me I'll carry a S&W PC1911 (.45ACP). This is easily the most accurate semi-auto handgun I've ever fired. The weight makes it a dream to fire. She rides in a Bullman leather high ride/close fit OWB.

Ultimately the decision needs to be yours based on what you are comfortable with and what you are most skilled with. CCW isn't hunting, you miss and you'll likely not come home.

Old 11-19-2010, 08:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

475lbs..heck ya could conceal an AR lol
my Glock 27 40cal is good fer it, almost the same as a 36, but the safety on the trigger is never good fer carrying with a round chambered, but im quik on the draw, and slide, when time comes..i know a couple cops, they say they dont understand carrying with the chamber empty, but i justify it easily..i aint a cop, my line of work aint that high on the "dangerous jobs" list...and it could be more of a hazard than a precautionary...as it just takes one lil scratch to set er off... ..imo
Old 11-20-2010, 02:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420
475lbs..heck ya could conceal an AR lol
my Glock 27 40cal is good fer it, almost the same as a 36, but the safety on the trigger is never good fer carrying with a round chambered, but im quik on the draw, and slide, when time comes..i know a couple cops, they say they dont understand carrying with the chamber empty, but i justify it easily..i aint a cop, my line of work aint that high on the "dangerous jobs" list...and it could be more of a hazard than a precautionary...as it just takes one lil scratch to set er off... ..imo
Got to disagree with you here. A Glock is perfectly safe to carry with a round in the chamber, provided it is in a holster. This pistol was designed to be carried in this manner. There are excellent holsters available that protect the trigger and are designed for concealed carry. You really should look into these because in most situations you will not have the time to draw your weapon, chamber a round, and use it for your own protection.

To the original poster: Since you are already familiar with Glocks, and have a G21, look into the Glock 30. Do you tuck your shirts in or leave them out? If you leave them out, you can get by with a regular belt holster. I use a Bianchi Carry Lock for my Glock 27. This holster has a forward cant and rides high on the belt. Whatever firearm you choose(lots of great choices BTW), make sure you get a good concealed carry holster and a quality belt.

Last edited by VAhuntr; 11-20-2010 at 02:56 AM.
Old 11-20-2010, 04:37 AM
Typical Buck

When going concealed buy a good holster specificly made for you handgun , in the long run it pays to buy the best one you can afford. Milt Sparks ,Galco, etc and please invest in a belt that is made to be worn for concealed carry. So many that complain about gun weight use an ordinary belt and they don't cut it.
I like the inside the waist band style with like RGS shows with part coming up that keeps slide or trigger area off your body, they are very comfortable.
The gun of choice should be the one that you are most familiar with and you shoot well. Just remeber the hardest part to conceal is the grip. Remember practice ,practice ,practice.
Old 11-20-2010, 03:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

very true, think I am going to take my glock and a button up shirt to leave open and hit gander to see how it hides on me, plus find a good holster. I know the head guy at the gun desk at my local store and am sure he will help
Originally Posted by Ruddyduck
When going concealed buy a good holster specificly made for you handgun , in the long run it pays to buy the best one you can afford. Milt Sparks ,Galco, etc and please invest in a belt that is made to be worn for concealed carry. So many that complain about gun weight use an ordinary belt and they don't cut it.
I like the inside the waist band style with like RGS shows with part coming up that keeps slide or trigger area off your body, they are very comfortable.
The gun of choice should be the one that you are most familiar with and you shoot well. Just remeber the hardest part to conceal is the grip. Remember practice ,practice ,practice.