Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Ruger #1 International >

Ruger #1 International

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Ruger #1 International

Old 11-19-2010, 04:29 AM
Fork Horn

Default Ruger #1 International

I've been thinking pretty seriously about getting another Ruger#1 and I like the look of the full stock. Due to the full length stock, it would not have the possible fore end attachment concerns that a few of the others have had. Any of you No 1 owners have one of these and can give me an idea of the accuracy? I would be getting it in 30-06---------John
Old 11-19-2010, 04:38 AM
Typical Buck

Sorry have never have a Ruger No 1 RSI but i've shot other banded barreled rifles that seemed to shoot just fine. I'm sure a bench rest shooter would cringe at the idea but for hunting i'm thinking it would be okay.
Old 11-20-2010, 07:27 PM
Fork Horn

Fortunately, I have a very good gunsmith just down the hwy from me and he and a friend he new a few years back have both had a no 1 with the International stock and he says they both were plenty accurate. I saw him just yesterday and he says go for it. I want to get it in 06 primarily for hunting hogs in heavy cover, most shots are within a hundred yards. Maybe even put a good fixed power on it. I've got a good Bushnell variable on the Remington so I'd be pretty well set in the 06 department---John
Old 11-21-2010, 03:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

The RSI are a classy model. One in 7x57 was near the top of my list (classic cjambering/model combination) but took care of that with a #1a in 7x57. It certainly wasn't an issue of accuracy in going with the other model. Besides, it's only needing to be minute-of-deer.
Old 11-21-2010, 05:30 AM
Fork Horn

Love your comment, "minute of deer" because that is so true so often. Many of us do not hunt in the areas, or hunt the game that calls for 200+ yard shots and many of the rifles/calibers discussed on this forum are well capable of taking deer and/or the coyotes at ranges of around a 100 yards or less. That's why I'm such a fan of the 06, works well from 50 to out to 300 or better if needed with a decent amount of knockdown power. Out of the four different Ruger no 1's I've had, the heavy barreled .204 was the only one that demonstrated so-so accuracy--why, I don't know, didn't keep it long enough to try and figure it out. The other three, another .204, the 30-06 and the 45-70 shot very well and the 06 was as accurate as my 700. My problem is guys at gun stores and out at the range keep wanting to buy my guns and I seem to have a problem with saying " no thank you, I'm going to hang on to it", but I'm learning--If this International turns out to be a "shooter", I'll take it to the grave------John