Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
45/70 recoil? >

45/70 recoil?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

45/70 recoil?

Old 11-18-2010, 07:53 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Bernie P.
While it's true this round can be loaded light to reduce recoil to a very comfortable level it's also true that buying one and doing so makes no sense.This cal along with the .444 and 450 were not meant for that plain'n simple.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but, didn't the 45/70 have something to do with almost killing the Buffalo to extinction? I don't think the hot loads had anything to do with that. They seemed to work ok for buffalo, thats good enough for me.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

True but that was then this is now!
Old 11-21-2010, 08:01 AM
Spike

That recoil chart is a good starting referance point for the physics of recoil(action/reaction) but it does'nt take into account for stock shape or material, action type, barrel length,caliber, type of butt palte,or overall weight of the gun for actual "felt" recoil. Chuck even says that in the second paragragh. Let me tell ya...a 6 pound sporterized spanish mauser was like a mule kicking me as compared to the older 7 pound Ruger with the "skeletonized" synthetic stock( those stocks really did soak up quite a bit of the recoil). I think your best bet, as with anything, is to find someone that will let you try theirs if possible.

Last edited by Fla.Swamper; 11-21-2010 at 08:03 AM.
Old 11-23-2010, 03:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not having one already is reason enough to buy one. Mine is the 1895SS model and it is nothing to worry about as far as recoil. I have a peep sight on mine and it's great in the woods. Your son can easily load some 300 gr bullets at velocities that will easily kill deer out to 150 yds, with very manageable recoil.