Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
help me choose a rifle and caliber for deer hunting >

help me choose a rifle and caliber for deer hunting

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

help me choose a rifle and caliber for deer hunting

Old 11-17-2010, 05:52 AM
Fork Horn

the Mossberg ATR 100 is a good straight shooting rifle!! I bought mine 4 yrs ago at Walmart for $221 and I put a quality Nikon scope on it with new sling,and Limbsaver recoil pad to take the punch away of the 30.06...no bolt blowing up here!!!
Old 11-17-2010, 06:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

Three pages so far, and, basically, the guy had a pretty good idea from the get go... The Marlin XL-7 and the Marlin XS-7 are an excellent choice. According to every review I've seen, it packs great performance for the price. The XL, long action, is chambered for lengthier cartridges, i.e. .25-06, .270, and .30-06. The XS, short action, is chambered for shorter cartridges, i.e. .243, 7mm-08, and .308. If you're worried about recoil, the smaller the caliber the less the kick. The short action cartridges all kick less than their long action counterparts. If I were the original poster, I'd be looking at the XS-7 in .243 or 7mm-08...

You can get a pretty good idea of the relative recoil of the various cartridges here:

http://www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm
Old 11-17-2010, 03:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by hometheaterman
snipped.....so it could have been the shooter.
This is the only thing you've said that makes any sense at all. Accuracy is more about the shooter than about the gun. In my experience, every gun I have owned has been more accurate than I am.
Old 11-20-2010, 10:07 AM
Dominant Buck

I would not buy anything gun...I have the same gun as you..It shoots rifled slugs OUTSTANDING when you screw in the Improved Cylinder...I would buy the Gobble Dot..that fit on your ventilated rib on top of the barrell.I learned all this from a friend in Missouri...by the way.central Missouri has decent deer..they are smaller in the south east.OZARKS..that gun will put rifled slugs in a 3 inch circle at 100yds..ONCE YOU GET THE GOBBLE DOT site correct

If money is no problem...I'd recommend the 270 with a decent scope..When I was in Missouri...I hunted in THICk stuff where an 870 is perfect..but if your hunting open fields..I'd go 270 for sure..
Old 11-22-2010, 05:20 PM
Spike

I've been thinking about your guys post and now I'm open to a 3006. I shoot a lot of turkey rounds and some slugs and I don't think the recoil would be as bad. I'm torn between the .270 .308 and the 3006. My friend has a 270 and it's all right but I like .308s a lot more. I've never shot a 3006 but on the internet that's what everyone is recommending. I was just wondering which would be the best choice for me. I went and held a marlin xs7 and xl7 at my local sporting store and loved both of them. The guy there said he had a xs7 and a savage edge, he was trying to talk me into a edge but I heard somewhere to stay away from them so what do you all think.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

Between the two, I'd definitely go for the Marlin. The Edge is, quite possibly, the ugliest rifle on the planet...

You might want to compare the ballistics of a 140 gr. 7mm-08 vs. a 150 gr. .308 or .30-06. Milder recoil (very noticeably less than the '06). Flatter shooting. Better ballistic coefficient. More retained energy on longer shots...
Old 11-23-2010, 10:36 AM
Typical Buck

i would take a look at Savage or Marlin in the 308. I absolutely LOVE the 308. i have a 30-30, 30.06, and a 7mm-08 and i always find that my 308 just works. The recoil of a 308 is nothing. my nephew shots one and he is in 8th grade. Trust me, after a slug gun the 308 feels like a 22 lr and has plenty of power and bullet options available. Even at the big box stores.
Old 11-29-2010, 04:59 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by hammerdown45
I've been thinking about your guys post and now I'm open to a 3006. I shoot a lot of turkey rounds and some slugs and I don't think the recoil would be as bad. I'm torn between the .270 .308 and the 3006. My friend has a 270 and it's all right but I like .308s a lot more. I've never shot a 3006 but on the internet that's what everyone is recommending. I was just wondering which would be the best choice for me. I went and held a marlin xs7 and xl7 at my local sporting store and loved both of them. The guy there said he had a xs7 and a savage edge, he was trying to talk me into a edge but I heard somewhere to stay away from them so what do you all think.
Ahh, the battle between .308 and .30-06 is here again!

I would say that unless you're shooting over 400 yards or you see yourself hunting elk or moose at long range, the differences between the two are negligible. The only other slight differences are going to be in power and accuracy. Short actions like the .308 have a fatter case that allows for more uniform gas expansion at the expense of a few grains of powder. And as much as .30-06 fans hate to admit it, the nature of the case makes the .308 a (slightly) more consistent cartridge. The long-action '06 can push bigger bullets faster and farther, but the (slight) differences between bullets, boxes and brands are going to be (slightly) less consistent because a narrower case means more surface area for the gasses to collide against with less area to expand before the bullet leaves the muzzle. With that extra power, though, and as much as .308 fans like myself hate to admit, the .30-06 shoots (slightly) flatter than the .308 and requires (slightly) less compensation for drop and has a (slightly) longer terminal range than a .308. Keeping that in mind, for how often I have used a variation of the word "slight" in this post should convey some sort of idea that these two cartridges are essentially the same. Same bullet, same uses, same successful military tenure. The important thing is that you pick one and then really get to know it.

~BillBrasky!!!

Last edited by BillBrasky; 11-29-2010 at 05:02 PM.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would choose the wickedly accurate and equally legendary .308 winchester for a cartridge. The rifle brand would be Savage.

My Savage .308 did this earlier this fall from a bench rest at 100 yards. I have since tweaked the elevation turret "up" 4 clicks, so it's an inch high at 100 yards.

Last edited by ButchA; 04-25-2022 at 04:42 PM.